Author Topic: Officer Delayed NFL Player as Relative Died  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
Officer Delayed NFL Player as Relative Died
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:14 am »
What the hell is wrong with the police these days.  There really should be a more intensive psych evaluation for some of these guys.

Officer delayed Moats as relative died

PLANO, Texas -- A Dallas police officer who delayed Houston Texans' running back Ryan Moats from visiting his mother-in-law before she died in a Plano hospital has been reassigned to dispatch pending an investigation.

Moats, his wife and other family members rushed from their suburban Dallas home to Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano during the early hours of March 18 after getting word around midnight that Moats' mother-in-law, Jonetta Collinsworth, was dying. She had breast cancer.

According to Dallas-area media reports, Moats' vehicle, which rolled through a red light, was stopped by Officer Robert Powell in the hospital's parking lot.

Powell kept Moats and another family member for 13 minutes, threatening Moats with arrest and lecturing him. By the time Moats was released and entered the hospital, Jonetta Collinsworth had died.

The story and video can be found here.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Officer Delayed NFL Player as Relative Died
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:33:57 pm »
Now it is not I don't think the cop was an ass but to be honest Moats was in the wrong just as much. Anything could have happen. What if he hit a person driving through that redlight? The amount of time he would have waited at the redlight vs getting pulled over and getting lectured, the gap is too large. Besides it is not as if the Cop knew he was rushing to see his dying mother in law.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 06:02:45 pm »
I tried to watch the clip, it's impossible.  Moats knew that if he tried to walk away, he would be shot. 

As much as people try to defend profiling, this is where it all goes wrong.  This wasn't a bunch of drunk people partying.  The circumstances are obvious. The cop ignored clear consistent statements by all parties to be an asshole.  The only good thing he was done is apologize and quit.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:13:11 pm »
being a cop for 7 years, I can say this.  After watching that video, that guy was a rookie asshole exercising his power in the wrong way.  Yeah, I wasn't there and I'm doing no more than armchair quaterbacking which I hate having done to me, but he resigned which means he knew he was wrong and is trying to save face.  Either that, or they were going to throw his ass to the wolves and he resigned so he could fade away quietly.  Anyway.