Author Topic: The TWITS at TWITTER  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
The TWITS at TWITTER
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:38:19 am »
From the MySpace Bulletin Boards...

The users at Twitter dot com are so hard-up for celebs to start accounts at thier site that they will even start fake accounts.  In the spirit of April 1st (April Fool's Day),  Christina  Milian started a blog post at MySpace dispelling any fake account started by the little 'Twits'.  Here it is:
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 
I DO NOT HAVE A TWITTER PAGE

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO TWITTER PLEASE KNOW THAT I DO NOT ACTUALLY HAVE A TWITTER PAGE AND I DID NOT PUT UP AN ADD ON CRAIGSLIST LOOKING FOR "DANCERS FROM EVERYWHERE AND TO TWITTER ME" I BELIEVE WWW.TWITTER.COM/CHRISTINAMILI IS THE ONE THAT PUT UP THAT ADD...ALSO IF THERE IS A TWITTER.COM/CHRISTINAMILIAN OUT THERE TOO THAT IS A FAKE AS WELL.

SOON ENOUGH I WILL OWN MY OWN TWITTER PAGE AND LET U KNOW WHAT THE ADDY FOR THAT IS. THANKS GUYS! SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE OR FAKES!

Xtina!

Jenn

Re: The TWITS at TWITTER
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 02:59:41 pm »
Well, my page is currently jddaniels1982, though i may change it to queenofwakanda. Haven't decided yet.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 03:34:59 pm »
Well, my page is currently jddaniels1982, though i may change it to queenofwakanda. Haven't decided yet.

Do you like Twitter?  How does it compare to Facebook?

Jenn

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 05:31:07 am »
Eh. It's another time sucking vortex. A supplement to Facebook, not a replacement.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:17:04 am »
So what is Twitter useful for? I've been looking at it and I have to confess that I don't get it yet.
Is anybody here using Twitter? If so, to do what?

Thanks.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:16:30 am »
So what is Twitter useful for? I've been looking at it and I have to confess that I don't get it yet.
Is anybody here using Twitter? If so, to do what?

Thanks.

Let's say...

You're in transit.  You've got a several appointments to make and there has been a sudden change of plans but whatever reason,  there's no time to call to inform your party of influence of the change or you just don't want to speak to that person to do it.  With a propiatary social-network set-up,  you can drop a message on your PDA, laptop or send a text message through your phone to that group.

-or-

Let's say...

You have a time-sensitive project that once the project is released for presentation requires a tremendous number of eyeballs to see.  With a propriatary social-network set-up, you can preamble a huge number of people in your network, in advance the hows, whens and where's the presentation will happen. 

-or- umm... Lets' say...

Your website summarizes all of your best attributes but a potential client isn't quite convinced that your site conveys that image.  If that client can see activity of your popularity flowing by displaying actual members on your propriatary social-network set-up having a discussion, it can potentially convey who you are and your network of influence much more clearly.

Let's say... a television network news program is in need of opinions in 'real-time' for a controversial discussion in a limited, time segment...?

Lets' say... you need some ideas for a difficult concept really, really fast...?

...or some quick suggestions to a problem...?     

For business purposes or multi-task types, there are a lot of uses for something like Twitter if you own a computer, or a laptop or some sort of PDA, or a digital cell phone that can access it.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:04:56 am »
I see how a "proprietary social network" might be useful in the scenarios you describe but what's that got to do with Twitter, a public micro-blogging / messaging service?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 03:33:43 pm »
I see how a "proprietary social network" might be useful in the scenarios you describe but what's that got to do with Twitter, a public micro-blogging / messaging service?

I think Twitter can be useful to all of those scenarios I described because that's exactly what it is in marketing-speak: a 'social network' site that is built exclusively by their programmers using proprietary HTML tools.

"Proprietary social network"  is just my fancy way to described a customized forum used by the public and that which can utilize  text messaging calls to various mobile devices.     

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »

I think Twitter can be useful to all of those scenarios I described because that's exactly what it is in marketing-speak: a 'social network' site that is built exclusively by their programmers using proprietary HTML tools.

"Proprietary social network"  is just my fancy way to described a customized forum used by the public and that which can utilize  text messaging calls to various mobile devices.     

But it's also a public site, right? Can't anybody see your posts whether they are followers or not?
And how much effort does it take to build a following sufficient to be useful in your scenarios? Seems like quite a bit.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 09:15:30 am »

But it's also a public site, right? Can't anybody see your posts whether they are followers or not?
And how much effort does it take to build a following sufficient to be useful in your scenarios? Seems like quite a bit.

Absolutely! 

I believe the general idea is to show lively activity between the members on the site; showing  the text-feed activity is a great way to attract more users because after all, there can never be a shortage of people on the internet. You need people to provide the internet, and all the electronic devices that come with it.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 01:47:45 pm »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 03:41:53 pm »
Everyone be forewarned:

If you have a Twitter account, the russian bots that are avoiding BLOCKS are now aggressively seizing user accounts and flatlining them.

Twitter is not working fast enough to prevent this; their password reset system contributes to the problem by complicating the process.