Author Topic: Green Lantern/Corps help  (Read 3290 times)

Offline PFunkJAzz

• View Profile
Green Lantern/Corps help
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:56:42 am »
Can you guys lead me to the trades that lead into the current storylines in both GREEN LANTERN and GREEN LANTERN CORPS?
Also, where to jump on for "Prelude to Blackest Night"? Stuff looks real psychedelic, but I wanna make sure I'm gettin' a "good read".

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Green Lantern/Corps help
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:59:13 pm »
I guess everything Geoff Johns has done - start with Green Lantern: Rebirth, trades of the GL series, and especially the Sinestro Corps tpb.

Still prefer Hal as the Spectre, but the Corps War was pretty bloody good.

Hope that helps.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline PFunkJAzz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:33:11 am »
I am really sucked into the Blackest Night hype, but darned if I can figure out why.
The writing is ok, but I'm bugged  because there is nothing unique about Green Lanterns. 
There are zilliions of alien races and they all have their own GL.
Now there are even more alien races and there are also Orange Blue Yellow Black power rings plus those Sapphire chicks.
The characters seem arbitrary and redundant and I can't find any motivation for keeping up except it's all very psychedelic.   

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:56:07 am »
The characters seem arbitrary and redundant and I can't find any motivation for keeping up except it's all very psychedelic.   

The random Lanterns may be redundant but I think Hal, Guy, John, Kyle, Kilowog, Salaak, Arisia, Sodom Yat, etc. all have their own voice and characterizations.  Each of the new Corps seem to have their own voice as well.  I'm digging Saint Walker of the Blue Lanterns though I'm not sold on the Agent Orange yet.

Green Lantern is consistently my favorite book and Johns my favorite writer.   The ring is never important, its the person behind the ring.  I think some of the other corps just need time to develop (assuming the stick around after blackest night).

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 12:06:04 pm »
I am really sucked into the Blackest Night hype, but darned if I can figure out why.
The writing is ok, but I'm bugged  because there is nothing unique about Green Lanterns. 
There are zilliions of alien races and they all have their own GL.
Now there are even more alien races and there are also Orange Blue Yellow Black power rings plus those Sapphire chicks.

Let’s see now: The Green Lanterns are run by the Guardians of the Universe and represent near emotionless rationality. Their power is based on will as in the will to bring law and order into an unruly and lawless universe.

The Sinestro Corps are led by the renegade Green Lantern Sinestro. He feels the Guardians didn’t go far enough. He believes that the universe has to be scared into being orderly. Their power is based on fear. They function essentially as the space Taliban.     

The Star Sapphires are led by the Zamarons who broke away from the Guardians because they are passionless. They are all female. Their power is based on love. They have been capturing Sinestro Corpsmen and attempting to convert them.

The Blue Lanterns are led by two renegade Guardians who decided that the Guardians were failing (and considering the sheer amount of defections the Guardians have been having…they have a point). Their power is based on hope. Their function as a support unit for the G.L.s (The G.L. rings get supercharged when they are around).

The Red Lanterns are led by demons whose power source is rage. The demons have a beef with Sinestro(for acts commited while still a G.L. but will kill anything or anyone who happens to be between them and him.

There are really no Orange Lanterns. There’s just one powercrazed alien whose sworn to kill anything that either A)enters his territory or B) attempts to steals his power. He attacks with the sprits of those he killed for crossing him it the past. 

Hope that helps you  keep all the players straight.

P.S. DC needs to give these guys better names than Red Lanterns, Blue Lanterns and Sinstro Corps. The corny names are a real turn off.     
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:08:41 pm by Vic Vega »

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 04:18:54 pm »
P.S. DC needs to give these guys better names than Red Lanterns, Blue Lanterns and Sinstro Corps. The corny names are a real turn off. 

I'm cool with Sinestro Corps but yeah the "fill-in-the-blank-color" Lantern names suck.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline PFunkJAzz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 06:26:20 am »
I latched onto the FREE COMIC DAY BLACKEST NIGHT giveaway.  It literally has a scorecard on all the BN characters and groups.  Still the point remains, it cheapens the effect if arbitrary characters get obliterated in the same series they were introduced. 

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 03:39:25 pm »
i got the gi joe book instead...was the lantern book worth it?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline PFunkJAzz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 07:01:22 am »
Yeah..uhh..it was FREE!   ::)

OK OK there's actually some story with Hal Jordan and Flash/Barry Allen*.  SPOILERS follow

at gravesites of Wayne's parents Aquaman, Sue Dibny and Martian Manhunter, on Mars, and shots of the guy who is the Black Lantern

It's peppered witn company adds for trades and concludes with 2 page spreads of the Green & Red Corps then single pages of Agent Orange, Sinestro & Blue Corps and the Star Sapphires, Indigo Tribe and Black Lanterns. LAst page is the BLACKEST NIGHT checklist.  Very effective marketing.  I wanted to dump this arc, but I gotta admit I'm hooked! :)

*   ??? I don't follow Flash,  but Barry Allen never died.  Jordan says he was was "just missing form the speed force".  Don't bother to explain.  I find DC books are best when they confuse the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 08:33:54 am by PFunkJAzz »