Author Topic: "Tea-Bagger" equivalent to the "N" Word????  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
Re: "Tea-Bagger" equivalent to the "N" Word????
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 05:09:54 pm »
Of course it's ridiculous.  It's a self-inflicted "wound".  They were calling themselves Tea Baggers from the beginning.  When they found out what the more vulgar meaning of the term was, they had egg on their collective faces.  The false outrage their feeling now makes it even more comical to me.  It's not naivete, it's sheltered isolationism and hypocrisy with a little dash of the judgmental thrown in for flavor.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 05:26:50 pm »
Amen.  And if there's any apologizing to be done, it's by Norquist for even daring the compare the two terms.

michaelintp

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 07:28:42 pm »
Except their reference is to the Boston Tea Party, and most call themselves "Tea Party Protesters."  I can see late night comedians on cable making their vulgar jokes. But for the President to do so is inappropriate.
Trying to make hay of one alleged reference to a silly name is kind of pitiful.
How do you know the President doesn't share that modesty and decency you so readily attribute to the Tea Bagger originators?

Not quite, Reginald.  My own view is that calling someone a "Tea Bagger" is not comparable to calling a black person a "Nigger" for the reasons stated above.  The journalistic technique found in this article, in the use of the famous phrase "some say," created a straw man here (whether or not that was intended by the author).
But the writer quoted Grover Norquist, President of Americans for Tax Reform (ATR), "This remark is the equivalent of using the 'n' word." So at least someone says that.
I'm glad we agree that Mr. Norquist's claim is ridiculous.

The President has to know the vulgar meaning because it has gotten a lot of play (by comedians, in the Media, from various websites, in articles, etc) ... so even if he didn't know the vulgar definition at one time, an assertion that Lion rejects, he certainly knows it now.  So really, for the President to engage in this sort of thing is, at best, really bad taste.

Didn't spot the source of the quote as the article started off by saying "some say" ... but yes Curtis, we are in agreement on this one.  Equating the use of the "Tea Bagger" phrase with the "N" word is absurd.  I think it is vulgar and disgusting, but ... not comparable.   So miracles of miracles, we do agree on something.  ;)

Offline Lion

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 06:08:22 am »
If he really used the word, he only called them what they call themselves.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 06:42:21 am »
They call him a Muslim terrorist, a communist, a closeted homosexual they even shed doubt upon his birthplace yet they're outraged over him calling them by the moniker they put over themselves. Oh please!! ::)
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 06:56:59 am »
If he really used the word, he only called them what they call themselves.

If being the operative word.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 11:02:14 am »
There is no word in our language that is equivalent to Nigger.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.