Author Topic: Reggie's Review: STAR TREK  (Read 8897 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Reggie's Review: STAR TREK
« on: May 01, 2009, 10:15:27 am »
If you're a Star Trek fan, you have to love this movie.  It gives you everything you like about Star Trek, but makes it young and sexy.  It reminds you that's we've been watching middle aged and elderly people in these films for a long time, but realistically it would be a bunch of young, smart kids doing this stuff. 

There's plenty of Easter eggs and hat tips to famous images and ideas from the original series, and at the same time does a neat trick to remove any and all continuity complaints. 

The movie also reminds me of two other films...STAR WARS, with the wide range of aliens, nasty monster on while marooned on ice planets, and even the wipes between scenes;  and MASTER AND COMMANDER, the recent Russell Crowe film about period seafaring warfare. 

The best thing about the movie is since he's already addressed the hardcore fans, he can now really go to unexplored territory in the next films..."where no man has gone before". 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Reggie's Review: STAR TREK
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 10:20:10 am »
Dag, you saw it already?!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 11:26:25 am »
Went to the premiere last night.  All the stars were there, along with many of the stars from LOST and HEROES. 

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:51:09 am »
say, does Tyler Perry still have a cameo?

maybe we'll get to see a glimpse of the ancestors of folks like Laforge, Sisko, etc.

...glad to hear about the monsters-- the white gorilla outfits and such were tacky.. CGI should make for some great creature panoramas..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 02:14:58 pm »
Tyler actually aquits himself honorably in the film.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 03:03:31 pm »
i'm torn.
i'm happy that you saw the film and that the film was great... BUT on the other hand...i'm hatin' because cool ppl like you and OTHERS have seen the movie before me.
wassupwitdat?

arrghh!
i gotta wait another week to see this wonderful movie.
i am so excited.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 03:21:34 pm »
The other interesting thing at the premiere is that I talked with several women who were NEVER Star Trek fans and they loved the movie.  So you can bring a date.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 03:49:52 pm »
we can thank zoe for that, huh?
i'll think about taking wifey...but i'm good either way!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 04:33:05 pm »
I think the female appeal comes from the whole story being ground in strong easy-to-relate to emotional drama....the first scene sets it up in a way that really made some women in the audience weepy.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 04:19:47 pm »
I had thought to see it but then it came to me that no matter "multi-cultural" they say ST is really it's the white boys and some POC window dressing on the side. I mean if you are re-starting the series how about some dashing ethnic heroes for a damn change? They cooled me way the hell off. Wolverine had what one guy? Battlestar Galactic had a token chick and Edward James Olmos.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 05:17:54 pm »
I had thought to see it but then it came to me that no matter "multi-cultural" they say ST is really it's the white boys and some POC window dressing on the side. I mean if you are re-starting the series how about some dashing ethnic heroes for a damn change? They cooled me way the hell off. Wolverine had what one guy? Battlestar Galactic had a token chick and Edward James Olmos.

There was only one chick on Galatica? I guess you mean Boomer(I never watched the show).

I could have sworn there was at least one other female in the military on that show.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 05:28:59 pm »

Interview with co-screenwriter Roberto Orci:
http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/09/exclusive-interview-roberto-orci-on-all-the-latest-with-star-trek-and-more/
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 09:11:02 am »

There was only one chick on Galatica? I guess you mean Boomer(I never watched the show).

I could have sworn there was at least one other female in the military on that show.

They had their fair share of white women sure.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 09:30:18 am »

Are we seeing the same clips?  I've seen plenty of color within the Federation in the 9-10 clips I've seen.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 10:47:11 pm »
At The Star Trek Convention!

Flex walks in wearing a dark hooded robe, big black boots and a shiny crimson red light saber on his hip with game face on go.

With an entourage consisting of a wookie, an asteroid droid and both a clone and a storm trooper he ice grills a bunch of trekkies in Klingon gear.

Klingon: "I think you're in the wrong convention hall."

Darth Flex: "Klingons share the galaxy... storm troopers rule it!"

Klingon: "I don't get it. What's that supposed to mean?"

With super quick Jedi reflexes Darth Flex ignites his light saber and gets to cutting.

STAR WARS... there is no substitute!