Author Topic: Reggie's Review: STAR TREK  (Read 8877 times)

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
Re: Reggie's Review: STAR TREK
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 05:27:21 pm »
At The Star Trek Convention!

Flex walks in wearing a dark hooded robe, big black boots and a shiny crimson red light saber on his hip with game face on go.

With an entourage consisting of a wookie, an asteroid droid and both a clone and a storm trooper he ice grills a bunch of trekkies in Klingon gear.

Klingon: "I think you're in the wrong convention hall."

Darth Flex: "Klingons share the galaxy... storm troopers rule it!"

Klingon: "I don't get it. What's that supposed to mean?"

With super quick Jedi reflexes Darth Flex ignites his light saber and gets to cutting.

STAR WARS... there is no substitute!

Dang....slo down, FLEX....you're killin' 'em.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 05:45:29 pm »
Speaking of ST you Uhura even though in the original her skirt was up to her navel was still very elegant and dignified and African but I hear she makes a nice transition bar hookup and ship piece of ass.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 07:30:42 pm »
Flex: "What... you can't talk with a light saber in your mouth?"

Yoda: "Disrespectful to the trekkies you are."

Flex: "Master Yoda. What are you doing at this convention?"

Yoda: "To see Zoe Saldana I am here. Hot she is."

Flex: "OK! She's no Princess Leia sitting half naked next to Jabba The Hutt but I'll give the trekkies a pass this time."

Yoda: "Keeping it real you are. But the dark side clouds all that you do."

Flex: "Why do you speak backwards like that?"

Yoda: "Developed my own style I have. Fresh am I. Now your light saber remove from the mouth of that Klingon."

Klingon: "DUUUDE WTF MAAAN! You Star Wars geeks are freaking crazy!"

Flex: "Don't make me force choke you..."

Yoda: "FLEX!"

Flex: "Yes Master Yoda. I apologize if I have offended any of you trekkies here and I hope that the new movie is all that you wished for to reboot your franchise. OKAY!"

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 07:36:09 pm »
Just caught the 7pm showing...

If all reboots were done this way, life would be good.  At once respectful while at the same time unwaveringly non-conforming...  I almost forgive Abrams for Cloverfield...

Gonna check out a Saturday Matinee on the IMAX, because this movie was made for it.  The action scenes were massive, both inside and outside of the ship.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 07:12:50 am »
Mama Hype vouches for the quality of the movie, apparently getting to watch a 'screening'  ;) while at the local laundromat.. I'll have to check it out this weekend..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

michaelintp

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 11:45:11 pm »
I agree with Reginald here.  Particularly in the way the continuity problem was solved.  Since the only Star Trek series that I ever really watched was the original, that suits me just fine.

I loved the new backstory on the original characters, including certain human/romantic elements that were never in the original series (as far as I recall).

Also pleased to see, as noted above, that the new film retained another tribute to the original:  Uhura's uniform.   ;)

I think Leonard Nimoy was showing his age in the film.  On the other hand, I loved "Sylar's" portrayal of Spock.  In the original show Spock was conflicted at times, but it was more subtle.  Here the tension was more evident, but I found that interesting.

Some of the cliffhanger CGI stuff seemed gratuitous, having nothing to do with the thread of the story, and of course you knew what the outcome of the cliffhangers would be, but ... I loved 'em anyway.  Particularly on the Big Screen.

The ending was solid, without major lose ends.  Ending with the beginning the Star Trek TV Show beginning (... 'Where no one has gone before ... etc ... um ... I could swear Shatner used to say, "Where no man has gone before ..." but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, haha)

... I'm kinda wondering though ... without a strong hint at the end of this flick, where is it going to go from here? 

I guess we'll find out.

P.S.  It would have been nice for them to allow Shatner to do the ending narrative of the Star Trek theme ... instead of Nimoy.  I heard Shatner was disappointed that he wasn't given some kind of role (though I don't know how that could have been done given the role of Nimoy in the film ... couldn't' really pull a "Stan Lee" cameo).

So yes, all in all, I liked the film a lot.  But ... Reginald ... my wife hated it.  But then ... she's the one that hurumphed throughout the first Spiderman film, and complained as we walked out, "I hated that movie ... It wasn't realistic at all!"   ;D

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 12:53:28 am »
Loved it. Going again. Probably two more times. One will be IMAX for sure.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 05:42:36 am »
I think the female appeal comes from the whole story being ground in strong easy-to-relate to emotional drama....the first scene sets it up in a way that really made some women in the audience weepy.

that was definitely a powerful scene.
i loved it!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 06:18:03 am »
At dinner last night, I finally met two people who didn't like the film. I was stunned.  They asked how could two objects be in the same place at the same time (ie Spock).  I told them since human cells are constantly regenerating, the 125 year difference meant those were two different beings in the same place at the same time. 

michaelintp

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 07:32:50 am »
At dinner last night, I finally met two people who didn't like the film. I was stunned.  They asked how could two objects be in the same place at the same time (ie Spock).  I told them since human cells are constantly regenerating, the 125 year difference meant those were two different beings in the same place at the same time. 

The question seems odd.  If you assume time travel is possible, of course the "future" person and the "present" person can be in the same place at the same time.  The future person and the present person are literally NOT the same person -- one is from the present and one is from the future.

I've another question, though.  What I have never been able to figure out is the solution to the time travel paradox.  A man from the future travels to the present and kills his present self.  If he killed himself in the present, he would not have lived in the future.  He had to live in the future in order to travel back in time to ... um ... kill his present self.

The solution offered in comic books and some sci-fi is the "splitting off of alternative timelines."  This never made any sense to me.  Viewing time as linear.  Whatever a person from the future does in the present, he will affect the course of future history that will, inevitably, lead to the future from which he came.  In short, a man from the future cannot travel back in time and kill his present self.  By definition, he would fail, since we know he survived to live into the future.

If anyone can explain to me how there is any logic to this notion of alternative timelines "splitting off" (caused by a time traveler who goes back in time and "changes the past"), I would appreciate it.  Because ... it just don't make sense.

Meanwhile ... what's my solution to this logical quandary?  Simply suspend disbelief ... and have a good time.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:21 am »

If anyone can explain to me how there is any logic to this notion of alternative timelines "splitting off" (caused by a time traveler who goes back in time and "changes the past"), I would appreciate it.  Because ... it just don't make sense.

THIS is another thing that i liked about the movie...it took what the audience thought they knew about time travel and flipped it on its ear. shucks, KIRK represented "us...we, the people." When Spock played young Kirk, he lead y.Kirk to believe somethin' bad would happen if the 2 spocks would meet. Why did y.kirk think that?  Because...just like us, he must've taken Doc Brown's Back to the Future laws of time travel 101 class.  In B2TF, we were told that if u met urself & i guess,touch, the space-time-continuum would blow up...blah blah blah (touching must be involved becuz doc helped past self with a helping hand.

we don't know squat about time travel. B2TF was a movie, but in this reality ST is real. get it? hahahha.
shucks, when the movie broke it down and said, what happened before still exists,but becuz u came back in time, a whole new timeline was created....i shouted 'reboot' and i was happy.

i'm babblin' but i support redjack's comments.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 02:08:56 pm »
I just found out the actress playing Gaila (Kirk's "study" partner) is also playing Scarlett in the new  GI Joe...

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 02:51:30 pm »
MAny Worlds Theory.

Essentially, every possible outcome exists simultaneously but our decisions (or chance, in the case of inanimate interactions) close off the infinite number of others in favor of the chosen path.

The First and Second Laws of thermodynamics preclude the ability of a time traveller to alter the past (once energy has been used it can't be reclaimed, among other things) but, if such a traveller existed and, say, killed Hitler as a child, the past of his original timeline would not be changed. He would simply have a moved himself into a timeline in which Hitler died as a child.

Nothing would change in the original timeline because, once something is past, it becomes immutable. All that would happen is the time traveller would be gone from the original line.

The present creates the future but once the present becomes the past no further change is possible.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:03:12 pm by Redjack »
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 02:53:52 pm »
if i wasn't so darn cool, my brain would have exploded...but it didn't becuz i get it!

michaelintp

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 08:58:36 pm »

Michaelintp