Author Topic: What are we reading?  (Read 64118 times)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: What are we reading?
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2007, 08:29:59 am »
I just finished reading a Jake Lamar mystery, entitled, Ghosts of Saint-Michel.  This recommendation by a friend was a fun romp through a familiar Paris Noir.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2007, 08:34:24 pm »
The other book is typical ...
Cheirel, what did you mean by typical here?  Typical of Mosely's Easy Rawlin's series?  (It's a collection of shorter stories.)  Typical pop mystery? 

I haven't yet read Man in the Basement.  So, you'd recommend it?

YES! I recommend the Man in The Basement.
The other is a typical Easy Rawlins book except that it starts out telling you that Mouse is dead but that all I'm going to say on that nospoilers here.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2007, 08:16:25 am »
I just finished reading a Jake Lamar mystery, entitled, Ghosts of Saint-Michel.  This recommendation by a friend was a fun romp through a familiar Paris Noir.

I also recommend Jake's Rendezvous Eighteenth also set in Paris Noir.  The main character in The Ghosts of Saint-Michel is introduced in Rendezvous Eighteenth.  Jake is a friend of mine and I really do like his writing.  As it turns out, Jake was a classmate of Reginald's at Harvard.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2007, 01:08:31 pm »
A'ight!
I'll pick that up as soon as I finish Faces at the Bottom of the Well, by Derrick Bell.
Thanx for the heads-up! :-*
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2007, 01:41:33 pm »
Ohh, Faces at the Bottom of the Well is a great book.  It includes the Space Traders story in Cosmic Slop. 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2007, 10:53:42 am »
Loved Space Traders.
Really dug The Racial Preference Licensing Act as well.
Thought provoking stuff!

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2007, 11:58:39 am »
I know I'm late, but I just started Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama and I just picked up Michael Crichton's Next.  And I still have a boatload of comics to read like Pride of Baghdad.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2007, 06:54:38 am »
To Make The People Smile Again by George Wheeler.
Some of you may remember from HEF1.0 that my Great-Granddad was a volunteer in the International Brigade, the anti-fascist force that was formed to help the government of Spain oppose the Hitler/Mussolini-backed uprising of General Franco in 1936. George Wheeler was one of his comrades, and they were captured together as the war drew to a close. Wheeler's book is a memoir of his period with the IB, light on detail of the battles, but rich in detail of the day-to-day life.

To be honest, the book leaves you wondering how they weren't beaten straight away, being forced to fight with out-of-date soviet weapons donated by Mexico, against the Luftwaffe and heavily-backed fascist ground forces, but they held out for more than a year after George's arrival. It's a great story told by a great man. Probably hard to get hold of, but I found it a rewarding read.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2007, 07:49:42 am »
I just started reading Christie Todd Whitman's "It's My Party Too."

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2007, 09:30:30 am »
I had to put down the Obama book for a while because I had to start on Mack Daddy: Mastering Fatherhood Without Losing Your Style, Your Cool, Or Your Mind/i] it's given me such nuggets as....

Don't name your son or daughter a name they can't (or you don't want them to) live up to.  Names like Adonis, Zeus and Achilles for boys and Bambi, Candi and Diamond for girls.  :D

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2007, 01:56:06 pm »
Ohh, Faces at the Bottom of the Well is a great book.  It includes the Space Traders story in Cosmic Slop. 
EVERYBODY ON THIS BOARD SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2007, 02:04:29 pm »
I just started reading James Patterson's "Step on a Crack."  Just finished Michael Crichton's "Next", which I didn't care for, even though I usually like MC's stuff.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2007, 02:08:21 pm »
Just picked up The Audacity of Hope.
Also reading Platitudes by Trey Ellis, (a funny novel about conflicts on the African American literary scene, recommended by a good friend) and Thanatos Syndrome by Walker Percy (a sci-fi thriller that has been on my shelf for years).
Ordered Standing at the Scratch Line, by Guy Johnson.

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2007, 05:21:12 pm »
EVERYBODY ON THIS BOARD SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!

I will pick up a copy. I was just about to start reading Why Black People Eat Fried Chicken. I'm going to guess Mag your book is a little deeper.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2007, 01:58:45 pm »
let me know how the audacity of hope is.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!