Author Topic: What are we reading?  (Read 84548 times)

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
Re: What are we reading?
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2011, 08:01:20 am »
I take back what I said about Rick's book, I read the first chapter and put it down. Now I'm reading the whole thing...

That brotha is a FOOL! I'm on page 127 and he's already gone AWOL from the Navy, broken out of prison, been in 3 bands, abandoned his first born child, got hooked on heroin and kicked it, only to get hooked on cocaine and acid, crisscrossed the country and Canada over and over again, flown to India to smuggle back hashish, broken into a clothing store and been busted for leaving the clothes with the tags still on them in his hotel room, got his ass kicked by the cops, got stalked by a crazy elderly prostitute,  become a pimp with 5 hoes along side Eddie Kendrick's brother, robbed the dope man and sold all his drugs, he's beat up umpteen dudes and boned about 50 "bitches" and to hear Rick tell it he barely escaped being at the Tate house the night of the Manson murders...all this and he's still not even famous yet.

I thought Chaka was bad for leaving her kids and going through a 20 year haze of heroin and crack, but she has NOTHING on Rick. He's basically a drug addicted super-villain, but he's so funny and likable you end up rooting for him and keep on reading to see what he'll do next.

I think the next book I read needs to be the Bible. lol

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2011, 10:53:01 am »
I've been on a kick lately:

1. john grisham: the confession (great book. highly recommend), the street lawyer & the chamber.  enjoyable. i really like grisham

2.michael crichton's TIMELINE. AWESOME!  quickest 500 pages you will ever read...the ending is a bit abrupt though

3. james patterson's WHEN THE WIND BLOWS: i had no idea what this would be about but i'm glad i read it. genetic manipulation grounded in reality

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2011, 11:25:09 am »
I started Juneteenth by Ralph Ellison. I'm not sure why I wasn't more aware of this book.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2011, 01:49:52 pm »
I take back what I said about Rick's book, I read the first chapter and put it down. Now I'm reading the whole thing...

That brotha is a FOOL! I'm on page 127 and he's already gone AWOL from the Navy, broken out of prison, been in 3 bands, abandoned his first born child, got hooked on heroin and kicked it, only to get hooked on cocaine and acid, crisscrossed the country and Canada over and over again, flown to India to smuggle back hashish, broken into a clothing store and been busted for leaving the clothes with the tags still on them in his hotel room, got his ass kicked by the cops, got stalked by a crazy elderly prostitute,  become a pimp with 5 hoes along side Eddie Kendrick's brother, robbed the dope man and sold all his drugs, he's beat up umpteen dudes and boned about 50 "bitches" and to hear Rick tell it he barely escaped being at the Tate house the night of the Manson murders...all this and he's still not even famous yet.

I thought Chaka was bad for leaving her kids and going through a 20 year haze of heroin and crack, but she has NOTHING on Rick. He's basically a drug addicted super-villain, but he's so funny and likable you end up rooting for him and keep on reading to see what he'll do next.

I think the next book I read needs to be the Bible. lol
Wow, that sounds hot!

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2011, 09:35:39 am »
I'm reading Eragon now.  I'll probably NETFLIX the movie after I'm finished

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Imaro

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2011, 01:44:45 pm »
I'm rereading the (recently) Late - Lesile (L.A.) Banks' - Minion, the first book in 12 Vampire Huntress Series. Its about this millenium's Neteru (the chosen protecter and hunter of vampires and general evil); she's an African American songtress with an edge and a great supporting cast.

Its kind of like Buffy meets Erika Badu meets Coffy (in the latter books). The first book is a little rough, but the series REALLY pick up later on.

I'll write more on her later.

RIP Lesile

Paul F.
I am an invisible man. When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves, or figments of their imagination-indeed, everything and anything except me. - Ralph Ellison (Invisible Man)

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2011, 01:12:27 pm »
My favorite book store is going out business so I'm really stacking them up. I love reading. But I about quite few books in the Atlanta airport on layover.LOL

Currently reading Someday You'll Thank Me For This. Truly a girly book about a "Perfect" mother. Kinda like the official Southern Ladies Guide. It is truly a crack up with great recipes.

The_Scribe

« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »
I started Juneteenth by Ralph Ellison. I'm not sure why I wasn't more aware of this book.

The reviews for Romantic Warrior by Frank Akenten are going well.  A professor of English at an HBCU gives the book his endorsemnet.  The Alabama Arts Council's "AL Writer's Forum" has endorsed the book.  You can check out the reviews here: http://artistryemploys.org/ReviewDetail.aspx
Be sure to read "Artistry of Romantic Warrior": http://artistryemploys.org/RW.aspx

I am so glad that I took over publishing the book.

Curtis Metcalf, you have been called to review. ;D  Answer the calling.  ;D

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2011, 07:53:59 am »
Perri O'Shaunessy's "Dreams of the Dead."
I've waited all year for this book!

Offline Funkenstein

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2011, 06:38:36 pm »
Just finished Daniel Suarez's "Daemon" and halfway through the follow up "Freedom".

If you're into cyber-conspiracy type stuff, it's a good read.
Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2011, 09:30:33 am »
Just finished "The Stone God Awakens" by Philip Jose Farmer. Read it for a submission I'm working on. Classic Farmer but not one of his best.  Reading "Warrior of the Four Worlds" by Ronald T. Jones. He's a BSFS friend and a great military sci-fi writer. So far, so good. Next will probably be Dances With Dragons by George R.R. Martin. Bought it two months ago and still haven't read a page. It's a thick ass book!
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2011, 09:26:46 am »
i'm reading L.Ron Hubbard's MISSION EARTH series.
i started when i was young but never finished it...so i'm starting over.
it's a dekalogy so i'm only on Book 3...bout to start Book 4.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2011, 09:05:00 pm »
Maybe you should be reading the INSIDE SCIENTOLOGY book!

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2011, 06:58:50 pm »
Maybe you should be reading the INSIDE SCIENTOLOGY book!

uh, why?
don't think I'm trying to go the Tom Cruise route.  Even though he cites "sarcasm", I can see his fundamental idealogies coming thru in his writings

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2011, 09:11:32 am »
Lately:
Thinking in Systems: A Primer by Donella Meadows
An excellent introduction / overview of systems thinking. Recommended.

Comfort to the Enemy and Other Carl Webster Stories by Elmore Leonard
Fun read. Great dialogue.

A Noble Radiance by Donna Leon
From her Guido Brunetti series set in Venice. A nice change up from the usual mystery novels.

Next up:
Joplin's Ghost by Tananarive Due
Also, I've got to get the next book in her African Immortal series, My Soul To Take. That series probably deserves a thread of its own.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."