Author Topic: "Uncorrected, they will soon come"...by David Evans  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
"Uncorrected, they will soon come"...by David Evans
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:50:56 pm »

Recently there has been serious discussion of the draconian (and
grossly inequitable) penalties meted out for possession or
distribution of "crack" cocaine in comparison to punishment for
possession or distribution of similar amounts of powdered
cocaine.  The former involved mostly African American men and many of
these men will be released in the next five to ten years.  Are we
(society) ready to receive them?!?  I see little evidence that we are.

They have been in "houses of corrections," but I dare say that few
have been "corrected."  As you know, billions of dollars are spent on
our prisons and probably hundreds of millions of that money are
allocated for education and skills-building.  It would be interesting
to know how many GED's, barber's licenses, cook's certificates, etc.,
etc., result from those allocations.

In these straitened economic times everybody will cry poor-mouth, but
the money is already there.  California spent ten billion (yes,
billion) last year on its prisons.  Let's say that 2% of that was
spent on skills-building:  That's $200,000,000 dollars!!!  Isn't
somebody answerable for that level of spending?

Well, I'm through railing--for now. :-)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: "Uncorrected, they will soon come"...by David Evans
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 04:38:08 am »
I’ve often romantized about doing enough time to continue my formal education in the joint on the Fed’s tab.  Three hots and a cot, new friends, a Ph.D……always seemed like a pretty good deal.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
Re: "Uncorrected, they will soon come"...by David Evans
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:05:55 pm »
With a name like Magic Wand you may not want to spend too much time in prison! ;)

In 5 to 10 years I believe we will be ready because I used to work with at risk youth in the probation camps of the Los Angeles area. With the right type of leadership they are far more easily directed because they have nothing to lose and so much to gain. They will listen to authority if the voice is spoken as such and well organized with pre-planned objectives.

This is actually where black entertainment can come in very handy. They already know what does not work so they need an alternative plan or something more beneficial then their previous profession that got them in prison. Never discount the true ambition of a career criminal.

Just like the founding forefathers of America they have no credit history, no special skills and are pretty much off the radar so whoever provides for them without a background check has a new audience and fanbase for whatever it is that they are promoting.

That is one of the things that makes President Obama such an asset. It is not all up to him but examples like his go a long way. This is in a way a form of BABY BOOM except that the babies are grown men now.

So the question is...

What Would The Black Panther Do?

Contingency Grocery List: Black Automobile Factory, A black owned skyscraper as a beacon for all to see, redirection of black colleges to accept former inmates to further their educational goals, clothing factories on American soil to provide employment, The mega-churches outreach programs, Sponsorship charity programs for the wealthy to assist those to get their lives back together, Blockbuster movie sets for that strong dude from cell block D to move heavy equipment for that crucial cinematic shot among other things.

Last but not least... THE DEATH PENALTY!

If you have no intentions of straightening out after clearly being given a chance then as the late Robin Harris said...

"GOTTA GO GOTTA GO!"