Author Topic: Justice Sotomayor  (Read 18564 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: Justice Sotomayor
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »
What is that these opportunists are crying about...?
...some remark she quipped during a speech at the University of California, Berkeley?

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman, with the richness of her experiences, would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life," she said October 26, 2001.

First of all, this "reverse racist" charge is the embodiment of grasping at straws by people desperately trying to garner attention. Actual elected Republican officials are all thinking "could y'all just shut up". Barring any real bombshells, Judge Sotomayor will be easily confirmed AND the Republicans get to hurt themselves among Latino / Hispanic voters. Priceless.

The deeper issue is that she is absolutely right. The deliberately biased commentary that we will continue to hear taking the comment out-of-context notwithstanding, a wise Latina is generally more aware of the impact of race, class, and gender as they play out in American society than a typical white man much less one with the generally privileged background of most SC candidates. I would think that's a good thing in a Supreme Court Justice. Oh, and she's hyper-competent by the usual standards too.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 10:02:29 am »
We have officially entered the arena of the absurd:

Former Klansman David Duke Rips Limbaugh For ‘KKK’ Comparison, Says Sotomayor Is The Racist

Responding on his personal website, David Duke decried the comparison to Sotomayor. “Limbaugh, a recent addict to illegal drugs, has no business making personal attacks against me for my past,” Duke said. “I have consistently supported true equal rights, stating again and again that I support the best-qualified person regardless of race in hiring and promotions.”

But while rejecting Limbaugh on the one hand, Duke embraced the attacks against Sotomayor made last week by nativist former congressman Tom Tancredo, who said Sotomayor belongs to a “a Latino KKK without the hoods or the nooses.”
Elsewhere on his website, Duke claims that Sotomayor is part of a grand Jewish conspiracy to control “any person who is influential or who may at some point in the future become influential.”

Okay...  ::)
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Cage

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 10:45:04 am »

Former Klansman David Duke Rips Limbaugh For ‘KKK’ Comparison, Says Sotomayor Is The Racist

Responding on his personal website, David Duke decried the comparison to Sotomayor. “Limbaugh, a recent addict to illegal drugs, has no business making personal attacks against me for my past,” Duke said. “I have consistently supported true equal rights, stating again and again that I support the best-qualified person regardless of race in hiring and promotions.”

But while rejecting Limbaugh on the one hand, Duke embraced the attacks against Sotomayor made last week by nativist former congressman Tom Tancredo, who said Sotomayor belongs to a “a Latino KKK without the hoods or the nooses.”
Elsewhere on his website, Duke claims that Sotomayor is part of a grand Jewish conspiracy to control “any person who is influential or who may at some point in the future become influential.”

Wow.  I mean...........huh......I really can't say anything other than "wow."
I ventured into the courtyard followed by 52 brothers bruised battered and scarred but hard.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 11:50:33 am »

I can't help but laugh at that...it's amazing how deluded people can be.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 01:01:20 pm »

:o

That there is some REAL crazy.

What always gets me about conspiracy loons is the amount of Doublethink involved in order to buy into thier own B.S.

So the Jews are connected and powerful enough to have co-opted someone who already has a job for life
but are somehow not powerful enough to have them quietly (or LOUDLY for that matter) offed and be done with them.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:35 am »
I thought I'd list the rumored candidate pool of some of the names being circulated as potential replacements for Justice Souter as suggested in the bloggosphere before President Obama's nomination of Ms. Sotomayor.

• Sonia Sotomayor currently sits on the US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit.
  • Elena Kagan is the first female Solicitor General and a former dean of Harvard Law.
  • Kathleen Sullivan is a former dean of Stanford Law, now a partner in a NYC law firm.
  • Diane Wood sits on the US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit.
No, Ms. Sotomayor sits on her broken ankle where she stumbled at La Guardia airport enroute to Washington.  *OUCH!*

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 09:57:55 am »
I would've LOVED to have seen Obama try and slip Sullivan past the Senate Hearings!  Could you imagine a critical-race theory Supreme Court Justice?  woo-hoo!!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 09:20:01 am »
This is the time of Judicial Reform! 

This is the week of Justice Sotomayer's confirmation hearings and the opposition panel will make every attempt to contradict her capability to judge fairly with pettiness intriguing questions.
Although, President Obama's choice will only replace a liberal justice [Souter] keeping the judicial score card of 5 conservative and 4 liberal, just imagine that if Senator McCain had been president, the division in the Star Chamber would've been 6-3.
Wishing her good luck, I've read a little bit about Ms. Sotomayer's humble beginnings that reminds me of a story I read in Defenders #86 where as everyone knows that this is a super hero team book with one random guest.  In this case, Black Panther is the random guest in this book. 
Here's a page where Hellcat and T'Challa are flying all over Manhattan (coincidentally the same vechicle used in Fantastic Four #52 when Black Panther first appeared!) looking for a stolen vibranium device that inadvertly winds up in the Bronx, in the hands of a latino toddler whose mother makes practical use at home and on an elevated train.

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman, with the richness of her experiences, would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »
^^^ heh-heh.. neat..

...besides soledad o'brien, any Mainstream tv/radio news anchors of latin background?  what's been the coverage on Univision/Telemundo?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 07:57:18 am »
^^^ heh-heh.. neat..

...besides soledad o'brien, any Mainstream tv/radio news anchors of latin background?  what's been the coverage on Univision/Telemundo?

Yo no se', Hype.

I don't have a cable TV service.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 08:21:49 am »
Pobrecito... *ducks*

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 08:58:38 am »
Pobrecito... *ducks*

Take That, mijo!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 07:42:19 am »
31 Nay...

68 Aye!!!
Senate confirms Sotomayer!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 09:08:07 am »
A Kodak moment

Major cases of the 2009-10 term

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission:
The FEC said a conservative group's 2008 movie attacking Hillary Rodham Clinton -- which the group sought to make available through a video-on-demand service -- could be restricted by a law that prohibits TV ads financed with corporate money just before an election. Citizens United said Hillary: The Movie was a documentary, not an election message, and that the disputed law unconstitutionally restricts its free speech.

United States v. Stevens
U.S. prosecutors relied on a law that bans depictions of animal torture to win a conviction against a Virginia man, Robert Stevens, who had advertised videos of dogfights in an underground magazine. Stevens appealed, claiming the law was unconstitutionally broad and restricted his free speech rights. He also said he was trying to provide educational and historical materials on the pit bull breed, not promoting illegal dogfighting.

Salazar v. Buono
An Oregon man who formerly worked at the Mojave National Preserve in California sued the federal government over a wooden cross erected on the grounds 70 years earlier by the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Frank Buono said allowing the cross amounted to a federal endorsement of religion. He said if the U.S. government wanted to continue to permit the cross, it had to allow other religious symbols so it did not appear to favor one particular religion or sect.
Congress tried to end the escalating case by passing a law in 2004 that ordered the Interior secretary to sell the patch of land in question to the VFW, in exchange for another, privately owned, parcel.

Graham v. Florida, Sullivan v. Florida
These separate Florida cases involve Terrance Graham, who was 17 when he took part in an armed robbery while on probation for another violent crime, and Joe Harris Sullivan, who was 13 when he was arrested for the rape and robbery of an elderly woman.
Florida juries convicted the men and sentenced each to life in prison without the possibility of parole for their crimes. The question became whether the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishment prohibits the imprisonment of a juvenile for life without the possibility of parole for crimes other than murder. Florida is one of only a few states that allow such a severe punishment for a defendant under age 18.

Bilski v. Kappos
Bernard Bilski and Rand Warsaw devised a method of calculating risks associated with the purchase and sale of energy commodities such as electricity and coal. They said their method helped school districts, for example, budget for heating costs rather than face constant fluctuations based on the weather. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office rejected their application for a patent, saying the commodities-risk process was too abstract to be covered.

Holder v. Humanitarian Law Project, Humanitarian Law Project v. Holder
Several human rights groups that sought to give money to the Kurdistan Workers' Party and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam -- which the U.S. State Department has designated as terrorist organizations -- challenged a provision of the 2001 Patriot Act that makes it a crime to give "material support" to a terrorist group.

McDonald v. City of Chicago
Otis McDonald, three other Chicago gun owners, the Second Amendment Foundation and the Illinois State Rifle Association challenged a Chicago handgun ban similar to a Washington prohibition the Supreme Court struck down in 2008.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 10:13:01 am »
'You can say that I will retire within the next three years. I'm sure of that.'
JOHN PAUL STEVENS, The 89 -year-old Supreme Court Justice who leads the courts liberals,  suggesting that President Obama will likely nominate his successor.

Time, page 12, March 29, 2010