Author Topic: Justice Sotomayor  (Read 14601 times)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Justice Sotomayor
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:35:00 pm »
I am soooo very pleased and happy about Presidente Obama's nomination of fellow BX puertorriqueña to the Supreme Court I am about to burst ;D

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Justice Sotomayor
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:28:15 pm »
Yes, I had lunch with a friend...a boriqua from the Boogie Down...and she was talking about her convo with her mom this morning.  Lotta pride, justifiably so.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:33:34 pm »
She should be a great addition to the Supreme Court.

By all reliable accounts the woman's a genius with more practical experience than anybody in the Supreme Court now.

Did you guys hear the speech? She became a lawyer because she was a fan of Perry Mason and Nancy Drew growing up. ;D

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:40:28 am »
I'm hoping that the confirmation process is smooth... I predict that Rush Limbaugh and company will be carping about verifying birth certificates, or theoretical connections to FALN, Macheteros, and other trumped-up silliness..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:44:00 am »
She was appointed by a Repub, so I'd LOVE to hear them explain not approving her now.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:11:08 am »
Newt Demand-Clinton-step-down-for-cheating-on-his-wife-while-I-was-doing-the-same is demanding Sotomayor withdraw and claiming she's a racist.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 07:48:12 am »
Newt Demand-Clinton-step-down-for-cheating-on-his-wife-while-I-was-doing-the-same is demanding Sotomayor withdraw and claiming she's a racist.

Nieither Newt Gingrich nor his opinions matter anymore.

She was appointed to the bench by Bush I. Her advance to the second circuit was supported by people like JESSE HELMS.

If she was a Whitey-hater she would have gotten to where she is.

If anything legalisticly she's another Souter.

It cracks me up that the Repubs are going to happily risk alienating every Hispanic
in the nation in a futile attempt to stick it to Obama.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 07:54:50 am »

The Neutered Grinch

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 09:13:44 am »
Some info on the Sotomayor ruling that has Rush and them screaming racism(boldface mine):

In 2003, the New Haven Fire Department decided to base promotions to the positions of captain and lieutenant primarily on a written exam. But the next year the city threw out the test results when all but one of the eligible candidates for promotion proved to be white. New Haven firefighter Frank Ricci, a high scorer on the test who is white, sued for reverse discrimination. His case is now before the Supreme Court in Ricci v. DeStefano. The case is getting extra play because 2nd Circuit Judge Sonia Sotomayor, President Obama's choice to take Justice David Souter's place on the Supreme Court, joined a brief opinion rejecting Ricci's appeal and then voted to deny rehearing of his case. Many commentators have championed Ricci's cause and disparaged Sotomayor for voting against him.

New Haven's decision may sound like blatant racial favoritism, but in fact the city rejected the firefighter exam because the test violated Title VII, the federal civil rights law that prevents discrimination in employment. Title VII requires employers to consider the racial impact of their hiring and promotion procedures in order to prevent discrimination that's inadvertent as well as intentional. Ricci's claim is that the city's effort to comply with Title VII is itself race discrimination (under the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and under Title VII itself).

http://www.slate.com/id/2219062/

So she did apply the law impartially in this matter since she upheld existing law. This is a case where conservatives DO want judical empathy.

...in the form of "Won't someone think of the White people?"

P.S. the idea of the Firefighters being a place of anti-White discrimination is laughably absurd on its face. The Fire Department is 90% White. 

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 01:41:56 pm »
It cracks me up that the Repubs are going to happily risk alienating every Hispanic
in the nation in a futile attempt to stick it to Obama.

Precisely why she is a savvy choice.

Here is my friend Trey Ellis on the subject:
Sotomayor and the Politics of Affirmative Action

Nothing gets the right wing's panties in a bunch more than a hyper-qualified person of color. And if that person happens to have a vagina...? Fuggedaboutit. Judge Sotomayor (a law school classmate of my mother's) was summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa at Princeton, and editor of the Yale Law School Journal, and yet the right still try to squawk that she's an intellectual lightweight, chosen purely because of her sex and the tint to her skin? Think Progress has a great rundown of their inanity including Karl Rove (University of Utah college dropout) braying, "I'm not really certain how intellectually strong she would be."

Oh really?

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 05:08:59 pm »
When Trey dropped Rove's academic track record I was howling!

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:45:10 pm »
Some info on the Sotomayor ruling that has Rush and them screaming racism(boldface mine):

In 2003, the New Haven Fire Department decided to base promotions to the positions of captain and lieutenant primarily on a written exam. But the next year the city threw out the test results when all but one of the eligible candidates for promotion proved to be white. New Haven firefighter Frank Ricci, a high scorer on the test who is white, sued for reverse discrimination. His case is now before the Supreme Court in Ricci v. DeStefano. The case is getting extra play because 2nd Circuit Judge Sonia Sotomayor, President Obama's choice to take Justice David Souter's place on the Supreme Court, joined a brief opinion rejecting Ricci's appeal and then voted to deny rehearing of his case. Many commentators have championed Ricci's cause and disparaged Sotomayor for voting against him.

New Haven's decision may sound like blatant racial favoritism, but in fact the city rejected the firefighter exam because the test violated Title VII, the federal civil rights law that prevents discrimination in employment. Title VII requires employers to consider the racial impact of their hiring and promotion procedures in order to prevent discrimination that's inadvertent as well as intentional. Ricci's claim is that the city's effort to comply with Title VII is itself race discrimination (under the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and under Title VII itself).

http://www.slate.com/id/2219062/

So she did apply the law impartially in this matter since she upheld existing law. This is a case where conservatives DO want judical empathy.

...in the form of "Won't someone think of the White people?"

P.S. the idea of the Firefighters being a place of anti-White discrimination is laughably absurd on its face. The Fire Department is 90% White. 

Damn, I didn't even realize she had joined in on that opinion.  That case went up last month before U.S.C., and although the decision hasn't been published yet, I have a sinking feeling they're smacking it down, based on the arguments I heard from the NPR archives. 

If I'm not mistaken, the issue centers around whether the fire dept improperly used the basis of remedying past racial discrimination to justify re-writing the test.  It's, BAKKE v. CALIFORNIA in reverse.  Rather than providing assistance, this time it's removing barriers - still what the Court sees as an artificial attempt to manipulate racial balance, and not even strict scrutiny will save it, based on the way they've ruled in the past...

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 07:55:11 am »
Yes, I had lunch with a friend...a boriqua from the Boogie Down...and she was talking about her convo with her mom this morning.  Lotta pride, justifiably so.

Is there any better way to have lunch ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 09:15:12 am »
A mami in the Star Chamber

What is that these opportunists are crying about...?
...some remark she quipped during a speech at the University of California, Berkeley?

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman, with the richness of her experiences, would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life," she said October 26, 2001.

----------------
I can't say that I disagree with her and although I may not know the entire speech (I'd like to read a transcript), who else would know about issues that directly effect latinos than someone who has experienced a portion of it?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 09:42:51 am »
...I remember when Sandra Day O'Conner retired/resigned, I was surprised at the way she was generally slammed by conservative pundits, apparently for frequently dissenting with Thomas/Rhenquist/Scalia in the last years of her tenure.. in particular, a Robert Bork TV interview on Fox found him just pretty much blasting her as fully assimilated "to the liberal agenda".. it came across like sour grapes to the utmost.. it was almost comical..
Be Kind to Someone Today.