Author Topic: A Black Bond Villain!  (Read 8422 times)

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
A Black Bond Villain!
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:10:53 am »
Excluding Yaphet Kotto's role in Live and Let Die why is their not more Bond type black villains with world domination aspirations?

What if in real life some brotha on a real big ego trip hatched a plan to make the gold in Fort Knox radioactive?

What about a brotha on a submarine city trying to start a nuclear war or setting up a space station on the moon while releasing poisonous gas in the atmosphere back on earth?

Usually we have the thug, pimp or gangster type taking over the streets or the evil dictator warlord in some remote part of Africa and sometimes the pro-black revolutionary gone rogue "kill da white man" villains.

Just once in this Obama era of change I would like to see some diabolical brotha go beyond the traditional mundane and hold the United Nations hostage with some kind of Dr. Evil "Death Star" while asking for 100 million billion gazillion dollars and stroking a leprous kitty.

Been there done that: Drive by shoot outs, street corner drug deals, running prison cell blocks, liquor store holdups, bank robberies, pimping, numbers running, machete hackings in the jungle, pirates, visionless dictators, etc. etc.

New World Goals: Build underwater fortress while flooding the earth, make a spaceship with War of The Worlds vaporizing capability, build massive hacking computer that controls all other electronic devices, have a pheromone that makes all the women on earth love only you (classic), construct a skyscraper that emits ground wave earthquakes destroying all the surrounding buildings while leaving it standing alone and then...

Thug: "Hey fool! Give up that watch, your wallet and that fancy cell phone for I get to blasting!"

Flex: "Is that a pistol you're holding?"

Thug: "You blind or something?"

Flex: "So that is not some laser gun with a special ray that vaporizes its target?"

Thug: "Is you crazy? N!&&@ this aint no comic book or some dayum movie!"

Flex: "Let me get this straight. You would risk sharing showers with strangers in prison or your very life for these minor things?"

Thug: "WHAT!"

Flex: "All I'm saying is you have a very big lack in vision. You have the guts to do something it's just that that something is so beneath you."

Thug: "You about to be 6 feet beneath if you don't give that stuff up!"

Flex: "INDEED!"

(Flex pulls out light saber, force chokes thug and chops trigger finger off at the knuckle with one swift blow)

A Black Bond Villain?

(Hurry up and post before this thread gets padlocked. LOL!)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: A Black Bond Villain!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:36:13 am »
now that the original books have been exhausted (I suppose) who knows what would come up next.. I'd still like to see a black Bond..
if Live & Let Die were to be remade--
Kananga/Mr. Big- Chiwitel Eijiofor
TeeHee- michael clarke duncan
Baron Samedi- Djimon Honsou
Whisper- LaVan Davis
rosie carver- gabrielle union
Solitaire- Zoe Saldana
Bond- Will Smith
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:18:22 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 11:41:36 am »
That's a powerful cast right there!

Will Smith would bring the box office but I would prefer a black brit with a home grown accent already in play.

Isn't Chiwitel british you may want to put him as Bond.

Playing cards with Zoe Saldana would be...

Now finish out the rest of the cast with M and Q.

Don't forget Felix Lighter who is already played by Jeffrey Wright if you want to recast him.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:51:27 am »
My black British bond would be Idris Elba.
he'd make a really good bond.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:10:07 pm »
 ;)

M= Sidney Poitier
Q= don cheadle
Felix= jeffrey wright
Moneypenny= thandie newton
alternate bond= chiwitel eijiofor
alternate kananga/mr. big- Wesley Snipes
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:19:38 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:25:24 pm »
I don't like the idea of a black Bond. Why can't there just be a new superspy that's black instead of trying to make Bond black? Bond is essentially a Cold War character that has been adapted for modern times, but making him black or non-white might be too much adapting. I wish that Hollywood and audiences could get behind the idea of a new black character instead.

But it would be cool to see more black villains, particularly masterminds and not henchmen.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »
Let's do this...

Design Your Own Villain!

What would a megalomaniac black villain be like?

I'll go first.

I want him to be wise like Cornell West is and well learned with that radical wild eyed look when he gets to monologuing off the top of his dome about world events and how he forces things to happen at will just because he can and it is amusing to him.

I want him to talk in the third person like Karl Malone because he is so wrapped up in his own self importance that the names of lesser mere mortals are meaningless to him.

He's got to have massive wealth but hides it through various corporations to avoid being noticed on Forbes magazines ridiculously rich lists. Trillionaire!

World leaders should know he has power because he proved it when he had the bank accounts of several leaders wiped out just to show how influential he really was in money and politics.

Racial issues should be considered mundane to him so KKK members that burn crosses on his estate should be abducted and flown by private jet with first class treatment to foreign countries and tortured secretly in the prisons of nations that are in his back pocket. Wake up the gimp!

Suicidal terrorists should fear his underground connections and reprisals because his diabolical revenge ploys are without peer and long reaching. Another bottle of champagne Mister Bin Laden... BOOM!

The Pope should get his blessing first before handing out his own. YEAH... that kind of juice!

NEXT!

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 05:27:19 pm »
I'd go for Bond's opposite.  An agent of a foreign power or a Merc who is at cross-purposes with Bond.  Perhaps someone who functions like Jaws did.  A reoccuring villain who tries and stops 007.  Sometimes, he suceeds; sometimes looses.  But you have to build their rivarly over a few movies before the final battle.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 06:12:48 pm »
I don't like the idea of a black Bond. Why can't there just be a new superspy that's black instead of trying to make Bond black? Bond is essentially a Cold War character that has been adapted for modern times, but making him black or non-white might be too much adapting. I wish that Hollywood and audiences could get behind the idea of a new black character instead.

But it would be cool to see more black villains, particularly masterminds and not henchmen.

It's a brand Hollywood can work with. New ideas are hard to come by.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 03:19:23 am »
New ideas are hard to come by and people like what's tried and true, but a black Bond is not tried or true. Not too many major characters have been switched from white to black in big films, with the exception of Jim West in Wild, Wild West and we saw how that turned out. It did well box office wise, but was considered a failure.

Could a black man play Bond, sure. There are a lot of talented black actors out there. But I would rather see an original character that's not shackled by 40/50 years of history. So far we haven't had a good track record of recurring black heroes in movies. Will Smith and Denzel Washington do one-shots. With the exception of Will in MIB2. And there's Wesley's three Blade films. But that's about it.

Back in the day there was Shaft but did the other films come close to making money or an impact like the first? Making Bond black would be too much suspension of disbelief from the audience, and white audiences in particular haven't showered money on movies with virile black leads, and do you think they'll let a black Bond have his way with a lot of women? Bond in many ways is a product of his time, no matter how updated they make him. A black Jason Bourne (movie version) or Jack Bauer would perhaps be more believable to me, but at the same time I wouldn't want that either.

Making Bond black adds a racial component to it that will be there like the big elephant in the room, whether they mention it or not and I think it might get in the way of the story, and the fun escapist aspect of the Bond series. Though new products are hard to come by in Hollywood does that mean that we shouldn't try to do them? Whether you like Tyler Perry or not he built a new brand with Madea and I'm sure there is similar talent out there to perhaps build a new black spy. Jonas Blane from the Unit could be a good precursor.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:21:48 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 07:27:37 am »
New ideas are hard to come by and people like what's tried and true, but a black Bond is not tried or true. Not too many major characters have been switched from white to black in big films, with the exception of Jim West in Wild, Wild West and we saw how that turned out. It did well box office wise, but was considered a failure.

Could a black man play Bond, sure. There are a lot of talented black actors out there. But I would rather see an original character that's not shackled by 40/50 years of history. So far we haven't had a good track record of recurring black heroes in movies. Will Smith and Denzel Washington do one-shots. With the exception of Will in MIB2. And there's Wesley's three Blade films. But that's about it.

Back in the day there was Shaft but did the other films come close to making money or an impact like the first? Making Bond black would be too much suspension of disbelief from the audience, and white audiences in particular haven't showered money on movies with virile black leads, and do you think they'll let a black Bond have his way with a lot of women? Bond in many ways is a product of his time, no matter how updated they make him. A black Jason Bourne (movie version) or Jack Bauer would perhaps be more believable to me, but at the same time I wouldn't want that either.

Making Bond black adds a racial component to it that will be there like the big elephant in the room, whether they mention it or not and I think it might get in the way of the story, and the fun escapist aspect of the Bond series. Though new products are hard to come by in Hollywood does that mean that we shouldn't try to do them? Whether you like Tyler Perry or not he built a new brand with Madea and I'm sure there is similar talent out there to perhaps build a new black spy. Jonas Blane from the Unit could be a good precursor.

You have a point.

When it was suggested that the next Doctor (Dr. Who, that is) be Black there was quite a bit of e-wailing online about it. SLJ's Shaft remake didn't go anywhere either.

Did Hancock do well enough to warrant a sequel? I forget.

Traitor certainly was set up for a possible sequel, but didn't have the box office to warrant it.

I also think a new character would be the best way to go either something like Bourne or Donald Westlake's Parker.

As far as the originality issue I wouldn't worry too much about that. Everbody steals from everybody. Batman is a Shadow rip. The Superman writers stole so much from Doc Savage (like the Fortress of Solitude) that creator/writer Lester Dent mentioned it every chace he got.

Black Panther is suspiciously similar to The Phantom.   

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 08:43:13 am »
Roger Moore a former Bond suggested it was time for a black Bond.

I am sure that somewhere in the ranks of The British Secret Service is a black agent.

We must remember that we are here on a board owned by a black creator and should be influenced to think outside the box.

Even though we still have not elected a black president yet we... UH OH!

CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

I think we should have our cake and eat it too so not only should their be a black Bond but also a black Jason Bourne, A black Indiana Jones, a black Flash Gordon and a black Thelma and Louise so that the sistas can go off the deep end too.

I am not talking about straight rip offs or low grade imitations but quality work. If it were a Bond film then an effort to keep it classy would be almost ensured for the Bond legacy to continue without controversy from it being first class buffoonery.

Besides... there are more than enough brothas already pushing that British Range Rover so let us hope that the Aston Martin he drives does not have spinning rims that fly off as hover bombs or some other corny thing like lo-riding hydraulics.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 06:37:43 pm »

You have a point.

When it was suggested that the next Doctor (Dr. Who, that is) be Black there was quite a bit of e-wailing online about it. SLJ's Shaft remake didn't go anywhere either.

Did Hancock do well enough to warrant a sequel? I forget.

Traitor certainly was set up for a possible sequel, but didn't have the box office to warrant it.

I also think a new character would be the best way to go either something like Bourne or Donald Westlake's Parker.

As far as the originality issue I wouldn't worry too much about that. Everbody steals from everybody. Batman is a Shadow rip. The Superman writers stole so much from Doc Savage (like the Fortress of Solitude) that creator/writer Lester Dent mentioned it every chace he got.

Black Panther is suspiciously similar to The Phantom.   

Hancock did make enough for a sequel. Sigh. I heard they were thinking of doing a prequel.

I'm not too concerned about originality. To some extent, you need some familiarity to draw people in. For example, L.A. Banks Vampire Huntress series where it might appear like she's simply created a black version of Buffy on the surface, but where both are about female vampire slayers, Banks takes her characters in a wholly different direction. But the vampire huntress/slayer thing might help ground the character for the fans who are interested in those type of stories.

I would rather see something like that than just a 'black' Bond or 'black' Indiana Jones, etc. Why does it always have to be a black version of a white character. Why is it easier to consider Shaka, a black Napoleon, instead of Napoleon as a white Shaka? I think we have to get out of that type of thinking.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 07:53:38 pm »
ECHO... echo...

DESIGN YOUR OWN VILLAIN... design your own villain...

A black Bond villain was just a suggestion not an absolute.

So you go the movies or buy a comic book and there is this black super villain and...

This is the part where you fill in the blanks with what you want to see and expand your mind just a little.

Sometimes exercising your mind on ideas gets the creative juices flowing.

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 02:19:39 am »
Let's do this...

Design Your Own Villain!

What would a megalomaniac black villain be like?

I'll go first.

I want him to be wise like Cornell West is and well learned with that radical wild eyed look when he gets to monologuing off the top of his dome about world events and how he forces things to happen at will just because he can and it is amusing to him.

I want him to talk in the third person like Karl Malone because he is so wrapped up in his own self importance that the names of lesser mere mortals are meaningless to him.

He's got to have massive wealth but hides it through various corporations to avoid being noticed on Forbes magazines ridiculously rich lists. Trillionaire!

World leaders should know he has power because he proved it when he had the bank accounts of several leaders wiped out just to show how influential he really was in money and politics.

Racial issues should be considered mundane to him so KKK members that burn crosses on his estate should be abducted and flown by private jet with first class treatment to foreign countries and tortured secretly in the prisons of nations that are in his back pocket. Wake up the gimp!

Suicidal terrorists should fear his underground connections and reprisals because his diabolical revenge ploys are without peer and long reaching. Another bottle of champagne Mister Bin Laden... BOOM!

The Pope should get his blessing first before handing out his own. YEAH... that kind of juice!

NEXT!

This sounds hot! What you came up with is a James Bond Villian of the new millenium. I can see Agent OO7 having the hardest time taking him down. He could be also be an expert on exploiting the weaknesses and strengths of his opponents and allies alike. For example, having a team of seductresses distract James Bond and play head games with him while he attempts to destroy the world's economy.