Author Topic: EMINEM...the Greatest Rapper Alive..?  (Read 2191 times)

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
EMINEM...the Greatest Rapper Alive..?
« on: June 09, 2009, 07:40:36 pm »
Vibe seems to think so--wait, this just in...we take you now to Irv Gotti who seems to have a different opinion...

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: EMINEM...the Greatest Rapper Alive..?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:41:50 pm »
I don't know about this one.

I'm not sold on Lil Wayne having the crown, Kanye has had some nice appearances lately, Jay Z is still lurking.

This has been one of the most wide open times in the history of rap in terms of their not being a definitive king. I mean I would still leave the crown on 50's head but that has little to do with his current output.

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:23:02 am »
I agree that there is no King as of right now and the closest person to be wearing the crown is Jay.

But I'm glad someone from the rap community finally came out and said it how it needed to be said...

Em is not great. His business plan (well, Dre's plan) and marketing are, but he's not.  Far from it, actually.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:02:30 am »
I agree that there is no King as of right now and the closest person to be wearing the crown is Jay.

But I'm glad someone from the rap community finally came out and said it how it needed to be said...

Em is not great. His business plan (well, Dre's plan) and marketing are, but he's not.  Far from it, actually.

Em is a great rap artist. There is only so much marketing and White skin privilege can accomplish.

STAN- One of the most unique and inventive songs ever.

RENEGADES- This was a collab with Jay but it shows that lyrically he is a heavyweight. Some people still argue he got the better of Jay in that one.

These two really sum up who he is as an artist.

He can go off the path and still trade lines with the best and hold his own.

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:10:22 pm »
"I got a list here's the order of my list that it's in.
It goes, Reggie, Jay-Z, Tupac and Biggie, Andre from Outcast, Jada, Kurupt, Nas and then me.
But in this industry I'm the cause of a lot of envy, so when I’m not put on this list the **** does not offend me." from Till I Collapse by Eminem.

As stated previously "marketing and promotion" can only get one so far, the rest is skill.

Em has lyrical skills, wit and entertainment quality. Plus the ability to freestyle. So he is one of the greats in my book.

But presently I can't say who is the true king because Nas last album was solid, Lil Wanye's was creative and Jay is headlining European rock festivals.

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:41:54 pm »
5 albums...3 songs?

Should we ask Jay to divide this one up?  

To say Em has skills is not saying much.  ALL rappers have skill.  To be able to lay down bars, have them be melodic and rhyme takes some form of skill.  

I just agree with Irv...anybody recites a song like HKL, it's still a hot song.  Most of Em's songs have gimmicky content, regardless how...colorful they may be, and I firmly believe the color of his skin, and not the quality of his talent, combined with having Dre attached to him has taken him a long way in the rap game, farther than he would've gone otherwise.  That's just my opinion.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 01:52:42 pm »
Its a lot more than 3 songs in regard to Em's ability and catalog.

The aforementioned songs show the breadth and depth of his talent. There are tons of battlerap songs like RENEGADES, songs in the vein of TIL I COLLAPSE and so on.

As for STAN he has never been able to match or exceed it but neither have any of his peers and that says a lot.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:02:25 pm »
...without the blessings of Dr. Dre & Interscope early on, I fear that Mr. Mathers may have ended up in hip-hop's cult-land, ala Insane Clown Posse, Esham, and other Detroit area 'gutter-core'/'psycho-core' acts, or at best a 'backpacker' icon like MF Doom, Royce Da 5-9 and such.. Maybe it would have taken Kid Rock putting him on, and his career arc may have been somewhat different than having a black old-school vet vouching for him..

..I haven't checked out Relapse yet, I'll eventually get around to it.. I'll have to go back to my bootlegs and reminisce.. Based on the "we made you" single, I wasn't hyped for the release.. It was far from his best, lyrically, dissing tabloid-prone celebs is old hat for him; and it wasn't Dre's best funk.. I'd like to see him expand his topics, not be afraid to get political.. the "whiteboy can't rap" angst should be done with, and the same for the "my mama's a _______ and so's my baby mama" rants.. It would be cool for him to also reach back to the Classic School for some collaborations..
Be Kind to Someone Today.