Author Topic: IRON-MAN 2  (Read 24255 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: IRON-MAN 2
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2010, 10:01:23 pm »
Examples?  "Laid back" means mellow, unhurried, let's things happen; doesn't initiate things etc. The laid back person doesn't try and control his circumstances.  Ult Fury is driven, always in control, always planning and always plotting.  His jokes are intellectual and cutting, not "I am keeping my eye on you".  Yes, he's calm, poised and always in control, but laid back people aren't Type A personalities.  Movie Fury didn't feel like a man in control. When sitting on the chairs at Tony's house, he looked like a man at a backyard BBQ, rather than the head of SHIELD discussing the future of the world.  He was too casual in his posture.  Or BW makes the assestment of Tony, and he goes along with it.  Ult Fury makes his own judgements and he isn't above getting in the middle of things.

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2010, 07:19:39 am »
Examples?  "Laid back" means mellow, unhurried, let's things happen; doesn't initiate things etc. The laid back person doesn't try and control his circumstances.  Ult Fury is driven, always in control, always planning and always plotting.  His jokes are intellectual and cutting, not "I am keeping my eye on you".  Yes, he's calm, poised and always in control, but laid back people aren't Type A personalities.  Movie Fury didn't feel like a man in control. When sitting on the chairs at Tony's house, he looked like a man at a backyard BBQ, rather than the head of SHIELD discussing the future of the world.  He was too casual in his posture.  Or BW makes the assestment of Tony, and he goes along with it.  Ult Fury makes his own judgements and he isn't above getting in the middle of things.

I didn't want you to tell me the definition of 'Laid back' I wanted examples of how Ultimate Fury being laser intense. Movie Fury and Ultimate Fury seem like the same person to me. So to say one is Laser intense and one is laid back just doesn't do it for me. I need to know of pacific occassion where he was laser intense and how that differs from movie fury.

Those aren't examples those are breaking down the definition of what you mean by laser intense. Not really the same thing. Is it?
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2010, 07:29:41 am »
To me, everytime he has been written he is laser intense, except the one time he was sitting around with Ultimates discussing who would play them in movie.  Otherwise, all of it.  He is intense.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2010, 09:05:27 am »
-Vanko. As many felt, I thought Rourke was underused. He was good with what they gave him. However, I had misgivings about his character as soon as I heard that he would be a composite of Whiplash-Blacklash and Crimson Dynamo. I wish they had just made him the Crimson Dynamo straight up. I would've loved to see that armor design in the film. I think Vanko's motivation would've worked better for me, and it would've added more depth to his beef with Tony if Howard Stark had actually stolen the technology/ideas from Anton. That would've given his animus more resonance. Upon reflection, I think Whiplash was the wrong villain to use for this story. I think the Ghost would've been better.

There is some real world precedents for that too. Tesla was #$$%ed-over by Edison and Steve Wozniack was pretty much #$$%ed-over by Steve Jobs.

-Skirting the alcoholism. I think it was a mistake not to focus on that, instead of the technology killing him part. And the Tony-Rhodey fight, 'intervention', was poorly done. I think I can see what they were trying to do, to show how Tony had become a danger to himself, but the way it was done, the cause was that he was just partying because he thought he was dying and not because of his alcoholism. So they never really had to address that.

The party/fight scene also got Rhodes into armor fast, but it didn't come off as believable to me. In fact, it felt rushed like Rhodes was itching to jump in the armor as soon as he got to the party. I guess Tony was 'giving' Rhodes the armor though that was implied later, but I didn't care for how he just took the armor and took it to the military, especially after Tony had explicitly told the Senate that the armor was his property. Seems like there would've been a legal issue there. I also don't see Rhodes, being his friend, going against Tony's express wishes like that. Or giving that type of weapon to the military especially when guys like Hammer could get their hands on it.

They are probably saving the Alcholism angle for the third movie. Since I don't think they are gonna touch the Mandarin.

As for Rhodes, while I didn't see IM2 yet, I know that's a callback to the first movie where T. Howard's Rhodes is complainang about Stark's flakiness. Also remember Howard's Rhodes taking about how important the Military was to him.

Chedle's fed up Rhodes just took matters into his own hands. From his perspective grabbing the Armor from that unreliable Stark was his patrioctic duty, friend or no. 

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2010, 10:20:34 am »
To me, everytime he has been written he is laser intense, except the one time he was sitting around with Ultimates discussing who would play them in movie.  Otherwise, all of it.  He is intense.

Well in all those other times, we've seen him actually DIRECT shield. Which he hasn't done in the Iron Man movies. He's showed up but so far all we've seen him do is interact with Tony. There's been no need for him to be laser intense with Tony. Perhaps his laid back attitude is him trying to get Tony to join the Avengers initiative. I think when we see some behind the scenes stuff or Tony actually starts working for Fury then we will see that laser intensity. But for right now, no reason for him to turn it on.  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:23:57 am by Jay »
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2010, 03:30:41 am »
Chedle's fed up Rhodes just took matters into his own hands. From his perspective grabbing the Armor from that unreliable Stark was his patrioctic duty, friend or no. 

Actually, I think Rhodey did it to stop making the situation escalate. The press would have ripped Stark to pieces after that birthday party. And the government would have knocked down his door the next day. The fact that Tony gave him a security access code proves he did trust Rhodey to do something after he died.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2010, 08:47:41 am »
There's a lot to like about Iron-Man 2 but I'm only slightly disappointed.  I would've like to have seen what would happen if Black Widow Natasha had actually confronted Whiplash instead of bursting in Hammer's holding room packin' heat with both hands and he's not there. :-\

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 08:53:29 am »
spoilers
excellent stuff.. (though did they cut that "you complete me" interlude from the beginning? I didn't realize it until watching a tv commercial the next day)..

I dug the nod to the suitcase years.. heh..

DJ AM.. wow, God bless...

I wanted a longer climactic fight with Whiplash, but oh, well..

I'm glad Hammer got arrested and not killed, he can come back next film, also Avengers..

..At the beginning of the climax, when the robot-mayhem starts, it would have been cool for them to have someone in the background shouting, "Parker, where are you?!", since this was taking place in New York City..

My guess is that Tony will schmooze things over with the Government by allowing Rhodey to be War Machine.

I liked the end-credits teaser.. I guess they're doing a nod to the J Michael Straczynski storyline..  I wonder how that will fit into the actual Thor film..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2010, 08:58:39 am »

DJ AM.. wow, God bless...

Dj A.M. playin' Queen's 'Another One Bites The Dust' while Tony and Rhodes barfight in armor had me bobbin' my head, yo!  :)

...which is interesting because that record came out right when the Iron-Man comic was red hot around the time John Romita Jr. and Bob Layton was drawing it!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:03:45 am by Battle »

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2010, 01:40:29 pm »
Liked this one just as much as the first one....althought the frist one had a anti-weapons message in there somewhere and this one didn't have a strong weapons message ....moreso Stark having a plan for peace....Don Cheadle gave a solid performance and all the supporting cast was good. 

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2010, 01:48:44 pm »
I was actually happy they gave....well, Happy, a bigger roll in this movie.  He was a big part of the comics and would like to see even more of him in the third.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2010, 07:55:44 am »
Actually, I found this sequel more about the unresolved issues between Tony Stark and his dad, his conflicts with industry competitors and his  inevitable role in establishing the Avengers.

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2010, 09:44:05 am »
'California Love' will not die.

Apart from Robert's comedic and spot on portrayal of Stark, it was really the experiments in the basement lab that I enjoyed in the first movie. I thought that the writer, the director and Robert wouldn't have been able to come back that strong. But was I wrong. The scenes with the construction and use of the particle accelerator was worth the price of admission. And DJ AM mixing in those joints during the War Machine fight was a bonus.

I had low expectations for this film and after reading some reviews I thought it would be awful. But I'm glad that I went and saw this first hand.

By the way, is that Wakanda on the map of Africa in the final scene with Fury?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:46:06 am by CKW »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2010, 01:27:26 pm »
I think that was map of where they found the hammer.

Offline Joel Mangrum

• View Profile
    • The Dollar Bin
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2010, 11:05:40 am »
IM2 was about 85% the movie I wanted it to be.  I had three major problems and I know that they both are gonna come off as fanboyish.

spoiler space

1.  Mickey Rourke went our like a bitch after a brief fight.  All this sizzle and no fire.
2.  The bad guy dies.  I find that tiring.  Just arrest them and move on.
3.  Again, I know this is nitpicky but you have a Whiplash that never calls himself that, a Black Widow who is never called that, and a War Machine that never uses that name.  At no time in the movie were any of these names used.  We all knew who they were supposed to be but the names were never used.
Dollar Bin Podcaster