Author Topic: Black Science Fiction Society  (Read 12616 times)

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
Re: Black Science Fiction Society
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:22 pm »
Hey, i just discovered this place and joined up.

blacksciencefictionsociety.com/

If I find more, i'll join them too. I'm dead sick of this "blacks don't like scifi" crap and it's high time the audience made itself known and consolidated its buying power. If anybody knows of any other sites like this, hook a brother up.

I agree with this. It's the same with video games and no black leads. Black People actually play just as much, if not more then other gamers...yet they are totally ignored.  But there has been some progress... for example Bethesda Game Studios actually gets it...they have the Red Guard race in Elder Scrolls...and in Fallout 3 I was shocked a how many African American characters of note and importance was shown in the game.

I'm a member over there also.

Offline Deacon

• Check me out at www.africomics.com
    • View Profile
    • Africomics
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 05:17:24 am »
Blacksuperhero.com is very frustrating to me....... Am i judging it wrong?

Yeah, I think you're judging us a little harshly Brother Reg. I believe I have every issue you've ever written and most of Dwayne's. Tribe wasn't really my cup of tea but I bought it anyway. And I don't think I'm singular in that regard. You have much love at BSH, Bruh. Initially, some of us (myslf included) were a bit skeptical when it seemed like you did not respect the continuity established by Jack, Don and Priest, but you won us over fairly quickly. Dwayne's beef was with the ANIA guys which predated the board. I'm not sure the board can be held responsible for that. Even then it was only a couple of dudes out of what 500? As I relayed to you in person, you're welcome any time.

Deac

p.s. Now if you're real beef is that we foisted Flex Hectic onto your board ... :-[ guilty as charged. Never expose him to direct sunlight and no matter what you do never.....ever... let him get wet. ;)
Too Blessed To Be Stressed

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 07:14:47 am »

p.s. Now if you're real beef is that we foisted Flex Hectic onto your board ... :-[ guilty as charged. Never expose him to direct sunlight and no matter what you do never.....ever... let him get wet. ;)

I don't think anybody here has accused you guys of that.

Personally I don't even have a problem with Flex myself.

I think messageboards need folks with an... excess of personality.

Offline URAEUS

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 06:49:07 pm »
I would write it off as a bunch of dudes in a digital basement sitting around sharing a tall boy of Haterade....but then I have met folks who post on the site who tell how much they respect my work and that I should post there.  I say it's not a hospitable environment but they say otherwise.  Am i judging it wrong?

BSH is like your average high school classroom Bro. Hudlin.

We have our share of class clowns, goof-offs, geeks, shy ones, loud ones, bullies, overachievers, know-it-alls, and folks who are just along for the ride.

If you spend a short amount of time there, there's definitely that possibility that you could be turned off immediately and head for the exit (sometimes running and screaming), depending on who you happen to sit beside, or what conversation you happen to overhear......

but if you are able to bypass some of the site's negatives and spend some time there in getting to know the personalities, you would more than likely come to the conclusion that despite the dysfunction (and there is dysfunction), there is a peculiar brand of genius and passion that flows throughout.

We're not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination..... but it's a community of brothas and sistas with a common interest that binds us together through all of the squabbling, the bickering, and the nonsense.

There are those who hate, as in any other family, but they are farrrrrr outnumbered by those who build, and create, and plan, and inspire, and teach, and learn, and support.

Just my two cents... for what it's worth.

;)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »
I understand.  I got one of those of my own, as you can see, and depending on the week, certain personalities dominate. 

I surf BSH now and then to see what's up.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 12:15:20 am »
Initially I fell into the trap of arguing which, at BSH, is a crazy and, for me, stupid thing to do. Once I ditched the "debate" sections and concentrated on who was putting out good work (which is a LOT of brothers and sisters) I found the place to be awesome. I'm actually contributing a short story to an anthology that was born at BSH.

Just ignore the free-for-all stuff and concentrate on the folks who actually want to DO something. There is a lot of talent there.

Why Mshindo isn't mentioned in the same breath as Alex Ross is a felony.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 12:07:14 pm »

Because he had the unmitigated gall to delay finishing a project because of a.......family crisis involving his daughter.  :o

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 02:37:46 pm »

Because he had the unmitigated gall to delay finishing a project because of a.......family crisis involving his daughter.  :o

Frankly, Ross can't touch him.

Aside from my artistic lifepartner, Mr. Harris, Mshindo is pretty much the only artist I'm dying to work with.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:40:41 pm by Redjack »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 02:46:50 pm »
We need a Mshindo art thread stat.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 05:26:09 pm »
^^^^ great stuff... Why isn't Marvel or DC hiring him?  Panther, Dr. Voodoo, Power Man, Storm, etc.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 05:45:09 pm »
I'd like to see him on a DARK HORSE STAR WARS book.

Mace Windu, anybody?

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 08:05:55 pm »
I'd like to see him on a DARK HORSE STAR WARS book.

Mace Windu, anybody?

Yeah....I can see that.
Or a Ben Sisko Star Trek Cover.