Author Topic: Transformers 2  (Read 10642 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers 2
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 04:23:36 am »
As plain entertainment, it seems more people think it does entertain.  As I said, I didn't like the humor, but I was entertained and I could see it again, if I wasn't cheap. :)

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 10:40:05 am »
I was a little too old to be into Transformers when they appeared in cartoons, but I get the appeal.  Boys like trucks and cars, and giant robots.  Combine both and boys are really extra happy.

But when you talk about the "logic holes" of a movie like this, I just don't get it. 

They are alien robots that turn into cars and trucks.  Our cars and trucks.  Not even Alan Moore could make that make any sense. 

If this isn't the kind of movie where you leave your brain at the front door, I don't know what is.

Yeah, I never got into the Transformers like that either.  When the cartoon came out, I was too old and cynical.  That was my anime period.

Even the most fantastic of films needs to have a basic structure based in some sort of realism.  Particularly a film like this that has a gritty, realistic style. Don't show me big ass robots causing millions of dollars in property damage and hundreds of deaths and tell me that these incidents are being covered up (other than a few fringe websites, of course).  Don't spend 15 minutes building up this brand new T-X type transformer then forget about it for the rest of the film.  Don't show me transformer heaven and talk about destiny and sh*t in the last 10 minutes of the movie.  Don't build up a villian that's supposed to be the baddest of the bad and then take him out in less time than it took to take out his flunkies.

That whole "leave your brain at the front door" line of reasoning only gives lazy filmmakers an out.  Instead of doing the work and getting a tight script before shooting, it gives them a built in excuse to feed to the masses when people start bringing up valid issues with the final project.  With a 200+ million dollar budget, there was no reason for this film to turn out as slapdash and sloppy as it did.

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 07:03:57 pm »
As plain entertainment, it seems more people think it does entertain.  As I said, I didn't like the humor, but I was entertained and I could see it again, if I wasn't cheap. :)

I gotta go with Voodoo on this one KL.  Just cause plenty of sheep (myself included) filed into to see this doesn't mean they were all entertained.  I've heard more negatives and just plain laughter directed at this thing than anything else, and I can't take that as a sign that people were entertained. 

I like my fair share of "bad" movies, probably more-so than the average guy on here, but even most of those still have more creativity, originality, and entertainment value at a fraction of the cost of this franchise and from what I hear they have 3 more planned?  Are they serious?  3 more?!

If 2 is any indication of what's to come, looks like we'll have plenty of hot, dry-ass blockbuster summers ahead of us.  I can't f-ing wait. ::)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 07:40:21 pm »
I think it depends on who you talk to--the friends of mine who have seen it, have my opinion or love it.  From flesh and blood, I haven't heard a bad review.  Most of the negative comments I hear are online.

And for something to tie Ice Age in its second week says something.  We have all seen bad movies, that do great the first weekend and crash the second weekend, because of the bad word of mouth.  That didn't happen here.  The suggests there has been more positive word of mouth than negative among the target audience:  teenagers.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 09:24:24 pm »

And for something to tie Ice Age in its second week says something.  We have all seen bad movies, that do great the first weekend and crash the second weekend, because of the bad word of mouth.  That didn't happen here.  The suggests there has been more positive word of mouth than negative among the target audience:  teenagers.

Kip, I think that speaks more to Transformers 2's timing than its actual quality.  Let's look at the schedule.  It was released on a soft, wide open weekend.  A holiday weekend with no competition.  Of course it was going to rake it in.  They could've re-released Paul Blart on that weekend and it probably would've done respectable numbers :D.   So combining a recognizable hit franchise with a competition free couple weeks?  Platinum.  Ice Age wasn't really going to damage it because it's more of a kiddie flick.  Public Enemies?  R-rated mature gangster flick with no slam-bang action or boobs.  Way too adult for the summer season.  Bruno might bleed it a little because all of the families have seen Transformers once or twice and the teens will be trying to sneak into this one due to Sacha Cohen inexplicable (imho) popularity.  Again though...it's R rating will prevent it from doing huge business.  So Transformers 2 won't have any real competition until the 15th when Harry Potter comes out...and that won't even really matter because Transformers will have made most of the theatrical money it's going to make.

I've heard nothing but mixed reviews from regular movie-goers.  Those who liked it, liked it.  Those who didn't, hated it.  My fifteen year old thought it was stupid and he's their exact target audience.  He loves all things vehicle related...even the Fast and Furious movies. 

And teens like anything.  They just need constant stimulation :D.

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 02:20:58 pm »
I think it depends on who you talk to--the friends of mine who have seen it, have my opinion or love it.  From flesh and blood, I haven't heard a bad review.  Most of the negative comments I hear are online.

I hear what you're saying KL and I respect your POV. This film did exactly what it was designed to do (make a boatload of $$) and it did.  I sometimes forget that this is a business, they're selling a product and I bought one, (well two, my wife was with me...she didn't like it either ;D) but only in my case, the customer is not always right.  I guess in a way it's imperative that movies of this scale do well so they'll make more (not necessarily more TF's) but big tent-pole flicks and hopefully Will Smith will be the star and they'll be no gold-toothed monkeys in it.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 03:05:25 pm »
Yeah--definitely a business.  I guess you could say, my point is that a lot of people seemed to like the movie.  The movie is made for them.  (And to sell toys and happy meals.  Anyone notice that Mcdonald's used the minority bots for their promotions?)

Me and my friend want to make a cut version without 98percent of the humor.  (Including gold tooth bot's mouth.).

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 05:54:10 pm »
Yeah--definitely a business.  I guess you could say, my point is that a lot of people seemed to like the movie.  The movie is made for them.  (And to sell toys and happy meals.  Anyone notice that Mcdonald's used the minority bots for their promotions?)

Me and my friend want to make a cut version without 98percent of the humor.  (Including gold tooth bot's mouth.).

That's a bet.  Send me a copy when you're done editing it, I'll peep it again and we can have another go at it. Voodoo, my crib, I got the widescreen...you bring the popcorn 8)

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 12:53:17 am »

That's a bet.  Send me a copy when you're done editing it, I'll peep it again and we can have another go at it. Voodoo, my crib, I got the widescreen...you bring the popcorn 8)

No doubt.  Orville Redenbacher's cool?

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 01:54:04 pm »
Yeah I agree with others here. This movie fell way short. There was so much nonsense in it it was unbearable at times. I mean, why did Megatron become a punk so easily?? Autobots were pissing their pants at the sight of him in the first movie, now Optimus can take him on as well as another Decepticon and clearly handle them like children??  For that matter, what was the purpose of the fallen and devastator?? they were taken out way too easily for them to have been considered a legit threat.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 08:17:04 am »
Fight scenes apart, I really can't comment on how immenseley disappointed I was by this movie, as a Transformers fan, as someone who likes films, and as a human being.

I did find a quote from someone else that sums it up pretty well:
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_robs_transformers_2_faqs.php?page=2
Could you sum up the film in one line of its dialogue?
"I am standing directly beneath the enemy's scrotum."

Awful, racist, poorly-written, insulting in every way to it's audience, and as someone who has loved, no adored Transformers for a couple of decades, let me say that this movie has made me seriously consider not watching the inevitable third installment in the cinema. Lame threat, but a live-action Transformers movie is something I never thought I'd see, and now I don't just not care, I actually want it not to happen.

And I did enjoy the first one.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 12:03:44 pm »
Well then, that pretty much damns it to hell for me...
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2009, 10:24:47 pm »
They actually dared to use the very word "MATRIX" for the world saving device? Audacity is a mother!

Uh...Transformers had something called "the matrix" long before that Wachowski brothers movie came out. Watch the orginial cartoon movie.

Anyway, just saw this on bootleg...I'm finally getting caught up on all the old stuff from the last year or so lol.

Wow...after the first one I knew I'd never again pay to see a Mike Bay Transformers flick, but...wow.

One of the worst pieces of garbage I ever wasted my free time on.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2009, 10:27:24 pm »
I am so happy I didn't waste money on this. Now I can enjoy my next IMAX experience watching Avatar 3D.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2009, 04:59:14 am »
I saw this on DVD several weeks back. Man it was horrible. Worse than the first. It was like all the things that were bad in the first got multiplied, and there was no impulse control for Bay. The tasteless potty humor was totally unnecessary. And the plot didn't make much sense. If the Fallen had been around all this time, just chilling, then why didn't he use that weapon when there were no Autobots to oppose him? And what was so special about this dude anyway, he didn't even transform. One of the best things about Bay films is the cinematography and he doesn't disappoint there, but that's about the only positive thing I can think of for the film.