Author Topic: BET Awards 2009  (Read 24777 times)

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
Re: BET Awards 2009
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 04:14:47 pm »
Interesting review
OH LOOK surprise surprise another "bet is ignorant"  comment. ::)

O.K. the guy was funny but, folks really need to stop with this "BET is embarrasing the race" meme.

Didn't these silly mofos get the memo that there is a Black President now? Who is on T.V. nearly every day?

Freaking Al Roker is on T.V. everyday. Dyson and/or Smiley are on T.V. nearly every Sunday.

In the face of that you'd have have to be determinely stupid or racist
to take the BET Awards as being representative of anything other than the Black Music Industry.

Aside from the poor production values(due all the M.J stuff having to done at the last second)
I didn't have that muuch of a problem with the show.

Jeff Johnson's show lived and died without a single word from these boogie SOB's.

They don't have the RIGHT to an opinion anymore.

Cmon, Vic. :D

BET is WACK and deserves every bit of the criticism it gets!  Stop apologizing for this sh*t!

Where's that Black Panther show?  Hannibal?  American Gangster season 4?  A nightly news show? 
Oh, they don't have those, but what they do have is bullsh*t reality show's with Tiny and Toya and Frankie and Neffie?  Really?  That's what people want to see? 

And exactly what does Barack Obama have to do with the foolishness BET is trying to pass off as entertainment?  A Black president forgives all sins?  Please.

If you think that people don't look at the BET awards as being indicative of the race, you're fooling yourself.  It's not just a music awards show.  Sorry.

They've been producing an awards show for, what, nine years now?  And this is the best that they can do?  High school production mistakes?  They've got Viacom money to spend now.  BET should have the same production value and professionalism as anything that VH1 produces.  But nope.  Why bother?  Black people should be accustomed to second and third rate product, right?

Jeff Johnson's show was good.  I watched it every week.  But they didn't really promote it (like they did with Keisha Cole's and DMX's shows) and tried to jam too much into a thirty-minute format.  Who's fault is that? 

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 07:48:50 pm »

BET is WACK and deserves every bit of the criticism it gets!  Stop apologizing for this sh*t!

Where's that Black Panther show?  Hannibal?  American Gangster season 4?  A nightly news show? 
Oh, they don't have those, but what they do have is bullsh*t reality show's with Tiny and Toya and Frankie and Neffie?  Really?  That's what people want to see? 

And exactly what does Barack Obama have to do with the foolishness BET is trying to pass off as entertainment?  A Black president forgives all sins?  Please.

If you think that people don't look at the BET awards as being indicative of the race, you're fooling yourself.  It's not just a music awards show.  Sorry.

They've been producing an awards show for, what, nine years now?  And this is the best that they can do?  High school production mistakes?  They've got Viacom money to spend now.  BET should have the same production value and professionalism as anything that VH1 produces.  But nope.  Why bother?  Black people should be accustomed to second and third rate product, right?

Jeff Johnson's show was good.  I watched it every week.  But they didn't really promote it (like they did with Keisha Cole's and DMX's shows) and tried to jam too much into a thirty-minute format.  Who's fault is that? 
No one is apologizing. BMWing the discussion once again about BET is getting old. The arguments are the same and no one is doing anything about. Yes some of the shows are a bit out there. I could have swore that not all black people act the same. You are just seeing tv shows of different characters that is it. Does TvOne have a news thing going? I mean other than sh*tty black tv shows reruns and G Garvin what does TvOne have? Black Men Revealed? with the current sh*tty hosts? Peaches? Whatever nigga
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 08:55:40 pm »
Interesting review
OH LOOK surprise surprise another "bet is ignorant"  comment. ::)

O.K. the guy was funny but, folks really need to stop with this "BET is embarrasing the race" meme.

Didn't these silly mofos get the memo that there is a Black President now? Who is on T.V. nearly every day?

Freaking Al Roker is on T.V. everyday. Dyson and/or Smiley are on T.V. nearly every Sunday.

In the face of that you'd have have to be determinely stupid or racist
to take the BET Awards as being representative of anything other than the Black Music Industry.

Aside from the poor production values(due all the M.J stuff having to done at the last second)
I didn't have that muuch of a problem with the show.

Jeff Johnson's show lived and died without a single word from these boogie SOB's.

They don't have the RIGHT to an opinion anymore.

News and public affairs shows are traditional low earners. Where was the picket line to save Jeff Johnson? There was plenty of effort to get Hot Ghetto Mess off the air. It would have been productive to see that energy harnessed to keep a show. As posters here have noted, a show doesn't even have to be watched to get kept on the air it just has to be marginal and have a vocal following.

And as far as BET's cultura relevence, whats BET actual market share 5%? Less?

When BET's existance actually matters THEN you can talk about its larger impact. The average 30+ white person probably can't even find it on the remote and wouldn't think to look. The dudes who run BET only WISH it mattered like Y'all think it does.

Look. 90 percent of the criticism about BET is based on the frankly silly premise that its some kind of racial showcase.

Viacom never touted it as such and the founder of BET never touted it as such.

So where does this goofy idea come from?

A bunch of Kente Klad wanna be producers who have all these ideas on how BET could do stuff better but never held a camera, shot film or video or pitched a show in thier lives?

Either that or its a cadre of bitter fat chicks who get enraged by having light skinned hotties paraded in front of them on videos. That Sharon Carpenter e-lynch mob awhile told me all I needed to know about the average detractor's grasp of logic.

Know what I like? Consistancy.

If the persons howling about BET had been howling about Flav's Cavalcade 'O Coonery on VH1 I'd respect their position. But they weren't so I don't. I didn't hear about anybody attepting to picket the WB when they had the Waynans Bros on the air.

In my opinion BET is exactly like SPIKE TV maybe with even less of an operating budget.

Hence the heavy reliance on reality shows. They are cheap to produce. When Reg was around he made a push for scripted works but TPTB aren't used to actually spending real money on programming and didn't see any reason to start.

It is the same mentality that brought the world Apache Warrior v. Ninja or whatever the hell that show is.

BET has never had its own version of the Cobert Report, a unique show so sucessful that it actually convinces the station to actually spend money to create more shows like it.

It folks can't even figure that out they really need to not speak.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 09:36:33 pm »
What package is TVOne under?

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 11:24:37 pm »

No one is apologizing. BMWing the discussion once again about BET is getting old. The arguments are the same and no one is doing anything about. Yes some of the shows are a bit out there. I could have swore that not all black people act the same. You are just seeing tv shows of different characters that is it. Does TvOne have a news thing going? I mean other than sh*tty black tv shows reruns and G Garvin what does TvOne have? Black Men Revealed? with the current sh*tty hosts? Peaches? Whatever nigga

BMWing? ???  I dont know what that means.

This isn't about TVone.  That's a straw man argument.  TVOne's the new kid on the block.  BET's been around for almost thirty years.  THIRTY years and they're still having audio issues?  C'mon, now.  Thirty years and they touting Frankie and Neffie like it's what's hot in the streets.  Yes, the arguments are old.  Because BET is still not living up to it's potential.  It's still offering sub-par, warmed over entertainment.  Thirty years, this thing should be something to be proud of, not something to be ridiculed.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 06:49:30 am »

This isn't about TVone.  That's a straw man argument.  TVOne's the new kid on the block.  BET's been around for almost thirty years.  THIRTY years and they're still having audio issues?  C'mon, now.  Thirty years and they touting Frankie and Neffie like it's what's hot in the streets.  Yes, the arguments are old.  Because BET is still not living up to it's potential.  It's still offering sub-par, warmed over entertainment.   Thirty years, this thing should be something to be proud of, not something to be ridiculed.

TV that offers sub-par warmed over entertainment?

Dude how is that different from 95 percent of all TV period?

Dag.

TV One is relevant as hell. It is BET’s main competitor for the Black market.

And as BET’s competitor, what does it do to distinguish itself?

Reality T.V., celebrity gossip and chat and old syndicated Black T.V. shows.

In other words they exact same thing BET is doing except that A) their reality shows are about old people(e.g. Patty Labelle) B)they have Michael Baisen and BET has Wendy Williams (a push in my opinion) and C) they got cooking shows.

Got to give it up for the cooking shows.

Yeah, that’ll show BET how cable TV is supposed to be done.

Y'all are reality-challeged.

These stations aren't trying to be Black PBS(which isn't even a for profit venture) they are trying to turn a profit(with limited resources).

That what the programming reflects.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 10:01:59 am »

This isn't about TVone.  That's a straw man argument.  TVOne's the new kid on the block.  BET's been around for almost thirty years.  THIRTY years and they're still having audio issues?  C'mon, now.  Thirty years and they touting Frankie and Neffie like it's what's hot in the streets.  Yes, the arguments are old.  Because BET is still not living up to it's potential.  It's still offering sub-par, warmed over entertainment.  Thirty years, this thing should be something to be proud of, not something to be ridiculed.
BMWing = Bitching, Moaning and Whining.

Actually it is about TvOne. As stated from Vic it is Bet competition. Giving it the "new kid on the block" as the excuse is very moot.

You are using the same argument just like everyone else making your point off the basis of one television show. Again not all black people act the same. And again BET just like any other network, you are looking at different types of characters on different shows. Are you one of the people against the crap that Tyler Perry shell out? If not then you are fooling yourself with you argument about BET.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 12:33:30 pm »

TV that offers sub-par warmed over entertainment?

Dude how is that different from 95 percent of all TV period?

:D :D
What kind of TV are you watching?
 :D :D

Dag.

TV One is relevant as hell. It is BET’s main competitor for the Black market.

And as BET’s competitor, what does it do to distinguish itself?

Reality T.V., celebrity gossip and chat and old syndicated Black T.V. shows.

In other words they exact same thing BET is doing except that A) their reality shows are about old people(e.g. Patty Labelle) B)they have Michael Baisen and BET has Wendy Williams (a push in my opinion) and C) they got cooking shows.

Got to give it up for the cooking shows.

Yeah, that’ll show BET how cable TV is supposed to be done.

Y'all are reality-challeged.

These stations aren't trying to be Black PBS(which isn't even a for profit venture) they are trying to turn a profit(with limited resources).

That what the programming reflects.

You and Akuma need to stop with the strawman.  BET's lack of quality has nothing to do with TVone.  It was wack waaaay before TVone went on the air.  TVone has only been broadcasting since 2004.  It's an infant.  BET's been on since 1980 AND it's owned by Viacom, a media giant with deep pockets.  In terms of quality, BET needs to be up there with VH-1  Comparing BET and TVone is like comparing CBS and the CW. :D  BET can and should do better.

Black PBS?  Again with the strawman! :D :D Nobody's suggesting that BET model itself after PBS.  What are you talking about?  Critics want BET to simply do better.  No more, no less.  Give us better quality shows.  Not Frankie and Neffie.  Hollywood and NY are filled with up and coming Black talent, both in front of and behind the lens.  Reach out and work with these people.  I made an independent feature on scotch tape and shoestring.  I know cats that put together internet shows every week on spit and super glue.  Quality products on extremely low budgets.  It can be done. It's really not that hard.  Especially with Viacom money.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 12:53:46 pm »
BMWing = Bitching, Moaning and Whining.

Actually it is about TvOne. As stated from Vic it is Bet competition. Giving it the "new kid on the block" as the excuse is very moot.

No it's not.  So what, it's BET's competition?  What's that got to do with BET making sophomore mistakes on it's nine year old awards show? :D 

You are using the same argument just like everyone else making your point off the basis of one television show. Again not all black people act the same. And again BET just like any other network, you are looking at different types of characters on different shows. Are you one of the people against the crap that Tyler Perry shell out? If not then you are fooling yourself with you argument about BET.

People's criticism starts with one show and expands to most of that networks programming.  You're right, not all Black people act the same, but BET programs like we do.  Practically all of their shows are reality with a hip hop perspective.  Where are the shows for adults (and not unplugged ;)) ?   They actually devote valuable time, resources, and promotion to shows about T.I.'s  and Little Wayne's baby mommas and Keyshia Coles' mother.  Really?  Jesus.

And actually, yes, I criticize Tyler Perry just as vigorously. ;D

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 01:36:38 pm »
Bunk it, why NOT Frankie and Neffie? If folks will watch it. 

You aint being anything near to realistic about this so I am just about done here.

Fact is, if YOU were running BET or TV One you would not be doing anything different from
what the guys there are doing now. Not if you wanted to keep your job there anyway.

Cheap shows to pull in the young urban market. Because that is their target demo.

Nobody there(or at TV ONE or at SPIKE) is trying to do Roc or Living Single type shows too expensive
to produce and what if nobody watches the thing? Dramas cost even more than single cam sitcoms.

News is expensive and nobody watches it (see CBS).

Nobody watches Public Affairs shows either.

If Tony Brown and Tavis Smiley could generate advertising dough they would not be on public television. 

BET decisions are mostly sound (they need to bring American Gangster and Uncut back and ignore thier critics-those shows MADE MONEY) that they offend folks sensibilities is irrelevent.

Now, does anybody actually want to talk about the Awards Show now?

If not, lock this thread.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 03:06:29 pm »

People will watch anything (look at Transformers 2 #'s).  So what?  Is that a measure of worth/quality?

You aint being anything near to realistic about this so I am just about done here.

Wait.  I'm not being realistic because we disagree?   :D :

Fact is, if YOU were running BET or TV One you would not be doing anything different from
what the guys there are doing now. Not if you wanted to keep your job there anyway.

Fact is, you don't know what I would be doing if I were running BET.  But again, you and the strawman.  That ain't got nothin' to do with nothin'. :D

Cheap shows to pull in the young urban market. Because that is their target demo.

Nobody there(or at TV ONE or at SPIKE) is trying to do Roc or Living Single type shows too expensive
to produce and what if nobody watches the thing? Dramas cost even more than single cam sitcoms.

Tell that to TNT, F/X and all of the other networks that started after BET.  They've all got sitcoms and hour long dramas.  Shows that pull in ratings and awards.  BET can't do that why, now? 

News is expensive and nobody watches it (see CBS).

So I guess CNN, Fox news, MSNBC, and all of the local affiliates  are just flushing $ down the toilet,  'cause nobody's watching. 

Nobody watches Public Affairs shows either.

If Tony Brown and Tavis Smiley could generate advertising dough they would not be on public television. 

Those types of shows aren't about generating high ratings.  They're simply about offering information.  Every network has a set number of hours they can devote to public affairs shows.

BET decisions are mostly sound (they need to bring American Gangster and Uncut back and ignore thier critics-those shows MADE MONEY) that they offend folks sensibilities is irrelevent.

Now, does anybody actually want to talk about the Awards Show now?

If not, lock this thread.

If BET's decisions were mostly sound, they wouldn't have legions of people criticizing them. :D :D 

Shows like uncut and Tiny and Neffie wouldn't even matter if BET offered better quality programming in addition to the ghetto mess that they show now.  And that's the source of the problem.  They're not trying to elevate.  And no, that doesnt mean becoming the Black PBS or CNN (as you apologists love to claim).  That just means putting a black scripted drama on in addition to the fourteen hip hop music shows they air.

And if you don't like the conversation, log out.  There are fifteen other threads on this board you can post on.  :D :D  Why you wanna lock the thread?

Jenn

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 10:56:45 pm »

You didn't get the message? It's only okay to show black people - especialy black women - in a demeaning and ignorant light when white people do it. Half of these f*ckwits doing all this complaining will be the first ones watching the new season of For the Love of Ray-J.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 11:49:37 am »
lol @ "Cavalcade 'O Coonery" I'ma have to use that one.

When I was a shorty BET had cooking shows, game shows, Bev Smith and news programs...they all went away because nobody watched them. Who's fault is that?

Look, BET is an easy target. We've all heard the complaints and the criticisms, you either watch it or you don't. If you don't stfu and stop trying to ruin it for the people that do. That said, I haven't watched BET regularly since Rap City got cancelled. I'd rather be angry at Fox News.

Jenn

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2009, 09:34:19 pm »

Apparently so. And Tiny and Toya was a great show. Not all black women can be Michelle Obama - or even want to be.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 12:21:14 pm »

Apparently so. And Tiny and Toya was a great show.

I'll take your word for it.

Not all black women can be Michelle Obama - or even want to be.

Sooo, there's no in between?  Chickenhead baby mamas with delusions of granduer enabled by purposely underachieving cable network or First Lady?  Got it.   :D