Author Topic: BET Awards 2009  (Read 23709 times)

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
Re: BET Awards 2009
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 05:59:48 pm »
And Bravo's Real Housewives are the highest rated shows in that networks history. They're no better than Frankie and Neffie, I really don't see your point. "Bad" tv is "bad" tv across the board but you just want to single out the Black folks.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 10:11:08 pm »
And Bravo's Real Housewives are the highest rated shows in that networks history. They're no better than Frankie and Neffie, I really don't see your point. "Bad" tv is "bad" tv across the board but you just want to single out the Black folks.

Wow.
That's what you got out of this?  I'm giving out passes to Bravo but criticizing BET 'cause I want to single out Black people? 

Really?

Here's the thing...The title of the thread is BET Awards 2009, not "Compare/Contrast BET with other cable networks.  What Bravo is doing is irrelevant to this particular discussion. 

This is always the problem with BET apologists.  They always seem to use the, "Well, so-and-so network is doing such-and-such show and it's just as bad as BET's latest racial atrocity."  But that's never the argument.  No one's talking about other networks.  Other networks are besides the point.  We're talking about how wack BET is, not how BET isn't so bad because other networks are just as bad.  That's like saying "It's OK that my child is a "D" student because all of the other kids are underachievers too."  Or, "Why should I keep my home looking decent when my neighbor's cribs look like shanty's?"  Or, "Why bother striving for excellence when everybody else is shooting for slightly below average?"

Look, no one is asking for BET to be the Black PBS or CNN (another stupid-ass irrelevant argument apologists use).  Critics just want BET to do better.  Or at least try to do better.  Back in the Video Soul days, Donnie Simpson used to sign off with this quote, and I'll paraphrase:
Shoot for the moon because if you miss, you'll still be among the stars.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 11:24:15 pm »
"Wow.
That's what you got out of this?  I'm giving out passes to Bravo but criticizing BET 'cause I want to single out Black people? 

Really? "

Yeah, that's exactly what I took from it Sporty. Is it a problem?

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2009, 03:40:20 am »
 ::)

"BET apologists" wow that is a good one. Then one can say the same about "BET Critics" with the same argument of "BET makes us black people look bad" which is just another way to point the finger at Hip-Hop/Rap music videos. The only valid argument is that BET don't have any "BET Original" drama or sitcoms. At first they did but unfortunately they were canceled. Remember for a while BET had original movies where certain black authors and their books came to life and these same movies had B to C list actors in them? Black Panther is the potential savior (if it ever come out) The point is BET is a TV network and they experiment with a TV show, if it does well rating wise it stays on if it doesn't then it will be cut off.

With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2009, 06:20:25 am »
"Wow.

Really? "

Only if you care about your own reading comprehension skills.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2009, 06:45:58 am »
::)

"BET apologists" wow that is a good one. Then one can say the same about "BET Critics" with the same argument of "BET makes us black people look bad" which is just another way to point the finger at Hip-Hop/Rap music videos. The only valid argument is that BET don't have any "BET Original" drama or sitcoms. At first they did but unfortunately they were canceled. Remember for a while BET had original movies where certain black authors and their books came to life and these same movies had B to C list actors in them? Black Panther is the potential savior (if it ever come out) The point is BET is a TV network and they experiment with a TV show, if it does well rating wise it stays on if it doesn't then it will be cut off.

But Akuma, it's not an indictment of hip-hop videos.  That's unfair.  BET doesn't produce videos.  Those come from the labels.  No, the problem is that BET will only support certain types of artists.  If you're a Soulja Boy/Lil Wayne wannabe,  mouth and neck full of platinum, big booty bitches all up in the video?  Cool.  BET's got a spot for you.  But if you're work is more eclectic or, dare I say it, political or socially conscious?  Kick rocks. 

When HBO and Showtime first started producing original films and series, they were lame.  Just like BET they all featured B and C level talent.  But they stayed at it until they had the capital and reputation to attract A-listers.  BET showed no heart or perseverance and jumped out of the game early.  These things take time.  You've gotta grow and cultivate an audience. 

I hope Panther does well.  I hope it's on the same level as those Batman/Superman shows from the late 90's or this new Spiderman show.  I hope it pulls BET out of the broadcast ghetto they put themselves in and stimulates a network wide desire to DO BETTER.   

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2009, 04:22:59 pm »
But Akuma, it's not an indictment of hip-hop videos.  That's unfair.  BET doesn't produce videos.  Those come from the labels.  No, the problem is that BET will only support certain types of artists.  If you're a Soulja Boy/Lil Wayne wannabe,  mouth and neck full of platinum, big booty bitches all up in the video?  Cool.  BET's got a spot for you.  But if you're work is more eclectic or, dare I say it, political or socially conscious?  Kick rocks. 
Unfair? dude that is the main complaint regarding BET. Nevermind that the majority of the TV shows that air have a Hip-Hop/Rap theme to them. I guess the best option is to have wannabe a Common, Taleb Kweli or Mos Def instead?
When HBO and Showtime first started producing original films and series, they were lame.  Just like BET they all featured B and C level talent.  But they stayed at it until they had the capital and reputation to attract A-listers.  BET showed no heart or perseverance and jumped out of the game early.  These things take time.  You've gotta grow and cultivate an audience. 
Maybe it got out early because people weren't looking at them. Sad in my opinion.

I hope Panther does well.  I hope it's on the same level as those Batman/Superman shows from the late 90's or this new Spiderman show.  I hope it pulls BET out of the broadcast ghetto they put themselves in and stimulates a network wide desire to DO BETTER.   
i hope so too. This could be the thing that really make a huge change and impact
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2009, 05:00:13 pm »
Unfair? dude that is the main complaint regarding BET. Nevermind that the majority of the TV shows that air have a Hip-Hop/Rap theme to them. I guess the best option is to have wannabe a Common, Taleb Kweli or Mos Def instead?

Well, at least give some other types of hip-hop artists some shine.  I'm not saying jettison one for the other, but give some of these other cats some screen time too.  Show another side of the culture.

Maybe it got out early because people weren't looking at them. Sad in my opinion.

It is sad, but build it and they will come, right?  These things take time.  By now, BET could have attracted a talented pool of creators and given opportunities to a lot of people who don't normally get them in the mainstream.

i hope so too. This could be the thing that really make a huge change and impact

Any word on a broadcast date?

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2009, 10:31:01 pm »
"Wow.

Really? "

Only if you care about your own reading comprehension skills.

Obviously that's not a concern of mine.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2009, 07:30:11 pm »
MY favorite review of the awards show!"
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй