Author Topic: BET Awards 2009  (Read 25580 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
BET Awards 2009
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:04:55 pm »
For all of the ridicule and criticism that BET receives ( Most of it valid) they were the only network that could pull off this tribute to Michael Jackson.

They did an incredible job and I am thnakful I had the chance to watch it.

The strength displayed by Janet to even come out; much less make a comment was really tremendous.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: BET Awards 2009
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:19:21 am »
props!  I hope it is re-run soon.. I missed the first hour or so, I attended a local vigil at the Motown Museum...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:05:41 pm »
props!  I hope it is re-run soon.. I missed the first hour or so, I attended a local vigil at the Motown Museum...

Please tell us about that event...

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 08:03:51 am »
Today they are holding a memorial service for Michael Jackson at the Apollo Theater from 2-6 p.m.

I hope I will be able to attend(I work in the area but the crowd will be insane) .

Al Sharpton will be delivering a eulogy, I'm told.  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:07:39 am by Vic Vega »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:25:26 am »

Please tell us about that event...

http://www.motownmuseum.com

Since Michael’s passing on last Thursday 6/25, there was a stream of people bringing  tributes (record sleeves, homemade signs, teddy bears, scented candles, flowers) to the Motown Museum on 2648 W. Grand Boulevard in Detroit (the museum is actually two adjacent houses, one being purchased by the museum’s ownership shortly after it was first inaugurated).  The formal candlelight vigil took place on the evening Sunday, June 28.  Giant-sized photographs/posters of Michael and the Jackson 5 were prominently placed on the front windows of the museum.  The program was planned to begin at 8 p.m.; I got there around 7:30, and there was already a sizeable crowd.  Police had blocked off a section of the eastbound portion of W. Grand Boulevard where the museum resides (with Henry Ford Hospital is in the immediate vicinity).

Easily several thousand people had gathered.  All ethnicities could be seen, and considering some people brought their babies, you had infants to (great-)grandparents representing in the crowd.  Some folks were selling memorabilia like T-shirts and buttons.  I saw a woman wearing a well-preserved Victory Tour 1984 shirt.
Situated at the porch area of the museum were speakers pumping Michael/Jackson 5 songs like “ABC”, “Thriller”, “Billie Jean”, “Man in the Mirror” and more (one odd moment occurred when the DJ cued up New Edition’s “Candy Girl”—I don’t know if they thought it was a Mike song, but I suppose it’s a tribute song, of sorts—heh..)  There were also two Michael impersonators who took turns performing on the front porch- ‘brown skinned Mike’ and ‘light skinned Mike’; I don’t know if they were hired or they just showed up- (and light-skinned Mike was clearly a woman when she later excused herself past me).  They were lip-synching to the records played, to the enjoyment of the crowd.  Candles were passed among all the attendees.

Longtime local radio personality John Mason served as the emcee for the tribute.  He started off by telling a series of humorous fictional anecdotes about Mike in between sing-alongs to his Motown-era hits. Berry Gordy’s niece was introduced, who read a written statement by her uncle.  The Motown Museum CEO was introduced; he made some brief statements, and was shortly joined by the manager of an area cemetery, who announced that all of the tribute items brought to the Museum site would be placed and preserved in a special mausoleum.  Lastly, local pastor Charles Ellis was introduced, who made an extended speech about Michael’s life and legacy, finally leading the crowd in prayer as the candles were finally lit.  There were numerous people that by now were openly crying.  It was just a beautiful, peaceful scene, even as it finally dispersed.

Next up is another tribute at local concert venue Chene Park.  Keith Washington has been confirmed; several of the surviving 60’s Motown stars had just returned stateside from a UK tour stint this weekend (Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves, the Miracles sans Smokey).

I took some photos, I'll have to post them later today..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:00:04 am »
I took some photos, I'll have to post them later today..

I'm lookin' at a few images now, Hype...

Where It All Started...

Jenn

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:22 pm »
Can I just say how happy I am that Hudlin wasn't the head of BET when this went down?  ;D

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 07:51:58 pm »
Can I just say how happy I am that Hudlin wasn't the head of BET when this went down?  ;D
why is that?
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 12:21:32 am »
why is that?

So no one can blame him for that travesty!   :D :D :D

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 05:53:31 am »
I enjoyed the awards, but what was up with the sound?  You could barely hear any audience reaction when Jamie Foxx did his opening act and some of the flashback footage looked like it was taken from Youtube.  I'm not a BET hater by any means, but they've got to do something about their production values.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 07:40:59 am »
The other Black site I go on NA, HATED IT. They said everybody was drunk, Jaime Foxx's penis joke was in bad taste, Ving Rhames embarassed himself, Beyonce was an attention whore in an ugly dress, the MJ "tribute" was whack, they were mad Chris Brown got banned by Jay-Z because he could of done a better job with MJ material than Ne-Yo, Bobby Brown looked like a grizzly bear with a bad mohawk, Wayne cursed too much and they felt it was ghetto and disorganized.

I got tired of trying to defend B.E.T in the face of such opposition. I thought it was the best award show they've had since Mo'Nique did Beyonce's "Uh Oh" dance the first time. The New Edition performance, Maxwell, Jay-Z, Keith Sweat, B.B.D. Guy, Wanda and Shenaynay set it off and the whole show was exciting and unpredictable. They did the best they could with 3 days of planning.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 07:46:41 am by TripleX »

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 09:26:34 am »
What is this about Jay Z banning Chris Brown?

I thought for sure Brown would make an appearance if he was available.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 10:07:45 am »
The rumor is Jay-Z told the producers he and Beyonce wouldn't perform if Chris Brown was allowed to be on the show, so he was dropped at the last minute. I don't know how true it is.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 03:50:14 pm »
The rumor is Jay-Z told the producers he and Beyonce wouldn't perform if Chris Brown was allowed to be on the show, so he was dropped at the last minute. I don't know how true it is.

I'll be interested in hearing more about this.

If the Katt Williams thing got out; a story of this type won't stay under wraps.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 03:52:00 pm »
TripleX, what is the age range of the people that post at the other site?