Author Topic: MICHAEL JACKSON: SOME GAVE ALL by Reginald Hudlin  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
MICHAEL JACKSON: SOME GAVE ALL by Reginald Hudlin
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:11:34 am »
MICHAEL JACKSON: SOME GAVE ALL

This took a little long, and maybe everyone’s tired of reading these MJ think pieces, but I actually wanted to think before I wrote.  I’ve listed favorite songs, etc, elsewhere on my site.  I’d like to talk about what Michael represented to popular culture. 

When I think about Michael, I think about Sammy Davis Jr. When I first came to Los Angeles, I noticed portraits of Sammy Davis Jr in the homes of new jack black superstars.  Since these mansions needed way more art on their walls than what actually made it up, I was struck that Sammy made the cut.  Why would these irreverent young men hold Sammy in such high regard?  After all, in my household, that picture of Sammy hugging Nixon kinda killed him in our eyes.  His whole persona was too eager to please in our hardcore eyes.  But if comics and actors I respected held him in such high regard, I knew I needed to reassess Sammy. 

Sammy Davis Jr.  was a genius all-around performer, just like Michael.  Great dancer, fine singer, solid acting career…just an all-around showman from childhood.  But most importantly, he lived to please people.  He would do whatever it took to entertain anyone.  That willpower drove him to be a great tap dancer, to be success in so many artistic endeavors, and it also drove him to endure and overcome the racial hostility.  His suffering built a bridge for all black entertainers to cross. 

I see Michael the same way.  He truly wanted the entire world to love him. Think about actually trying to make EVERYONE like you.  Can you imagine just trying to get everyone at work to like you?   To achieve this impossible goal, Michael blurred his gender, his race…whatever it took to make everyone love him.  While always grounded in soul music, he stretched musical genres to connect the same way.  That’s why he was obsessed with breaking records.  It wasn’t just about creating good art – he wanted his art to affect the most people. 

I’m saying this to condone what he did, or to rationalize the psychology that led to those decision, but simply acknowledging that Michael Jackson gave his all, and everyone – every artist, every fan – is better off for what he did.  He integrated MTV, and really the entire music industry by dominating it.  He married Elvis’ daughter.  He became the King of Pop. 

Whenever a black man achieves that kind of success, it drives some white people crazy.  You see it in certain reactions to Barack Obama, and you see it when some commentators disrespect Michael Jackson and his body isn’t even in the ground yet.  I don’t know what happened in his personal life.  And while I’m as fascinated as anyone else, I know enough to know I don’t know a damn thing.  Over the weeks and months, maybe a fuller image that approximates the truth will assemble as people talk about the man, his process and his lifestyle.  But I know enough not to talk about what I don’t know first hand.

I was fortunate enough to meet Michael up close and personal on several occasions.  I’ve had music producers play me original mixes of his music and unreleased tracks.  Some of them would have changed the game and it’s a shame Michael didn’t believe in them.
I don’t care how cool you think you are and how many jokes you may have cracked about him – when you meet Michael Jackson you are hyped.  In person, he’s taller than you would imagine, and of course shy as everyone says.  But you know there’s a lot going on that he’s not saying. 

Mike was a few years older than me.  I grew up with the girls in our elementary school debating on which of the Jackson Five was the cutest. In one our first family trips to New York, my brothers and I were sitting in a hotel lobby, and a black mother asked us if we were the Jackson Five.  It was a thrill to be mistaken for them!  In college we debated the relative merits of OFF THE WALL and THRILLER.  I lamented his post-Thriller career, even though he continued to make great music until the end.    Like the rest of America I am fascinated as the mysteries of his life continue to unfold and compound.  His grip on popular culture continues to hold.  Long live the king. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: MICHAEL JACKSON: SOME GAVE ALL by Reginald Hudlin
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:45:58 pm »
Whenever a black man achieves that kind of success, it drives some white people crazy.  You see it in certain reactions to Barack Obama, and you see it when some commentators disrespect Michael Jackson and his body isn’t even in the ground yet.  I don’t know what happened in his personal life.  And while I’m as fascinated as anyone else, I know enough to know I don’t know a damn thing.  Over the weeks and months, maybe a fuller image that approximates the truth will assemble as people talk about the man, his process and his lifestyle.  But I know enough not to talk about what I don’t know first hand.

Especially those un-hip, ultra-conservative types...
Here's a good example of a opinionated essay  written in a South Carolina newspaper by a columnist named cal thomas who resents the amount of adulation leveled towards Micheal Jackson. The whole piece is actually centered around how MJ had more attention by everyone compared to the other two celebrities (Ed McMahon & Farrah Fawcett)  that the media gave more coverage.  Check out these edited paragraphs from the article:

It's worth re-reading as we overindulge in the recent deaths of Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett. Ed McMahon's death the same week recieved somewhat less coverage because he was neither beautiful, nor weird, though he qualified as a celebrity. At least McMahon served in two wars as a Marine, which was a real accomplishment.

Listening to the Micheal Jackson tributes would make one think he had created something of lasting value. Some said his music will "live forever." No it won't.  No one today hums Stephen Foster songs or ditties from World War I, or the Great Depression, which were better songs and understandable.  Can anyone quote the lyrics from Gus Kahn's greatest hits?  Somehow 'Butterflies all flutter up and kiss each little buttercup at dawnin'  doesn't seem to have the ring it had in 1922.

Last Thurday night, more people watched a Farrah Fawcett special on ABC than a Micheal Jackson special on CBS, suggesting that beauty beats weirdness.

-----------------------

That may be true about the television ratings (remember what I wrote before about the inaccuracy of television ratings?) but what thomas neglects to mention that other people around the world were too  busy downloading and listening to MJ songs on thier mobile devices! My goodness he made the top 10 in every country around the world! ;D

In the U.S.
Man In the Mirror
Michael Jackson
I Gotta Feeling
Black Eyed Peas
Boom Boom Pow
Black Eyed Peas
The Way You Make Me Feel
Michael Jackson
Billie Jean
Michael Jackson
Fire Burning
Sean Kingston
Best I Ever Had
Drake
Black or White
Michael Jackson
Smooth Criminal
Michael Jackson
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Michael Jackson

In the UK
Man In the Mirror
Michael Jackson
Bulletproof
La Roux
Evacuate the Dancefloor (Radio Edit)
Cascada
When Love Takes Over (feat. Kelly Rowland)
David Guetta
Paparazzi
Lady GaGa
Boom Boom Pow
Black Eyed Peas
Release Me (UK Radio Edit)
Agnes
Knock You Down
Keri Hilson, Kanye West & Ne-Yo
Mama Do (Uh Oh, Uh Oh)
Pixie Lott
Untouched
The Veronicas

In France
Billie Jean
Michael Jackson
Beat It
Michael Jackson
I Know You Want Me (Calle ocho) [More English Radio Edit]
Pitbull
Thriller
Michael Jackson
Black or White
Michael Jackson
We Are the World
U.S.A. for Africa
David Guetta
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Michael Jackson
Ça m'énerve
Helmut Fritz
Heal the World
Michael Jackson

In Germany
Jungle Drum
Emiliana Torrini
Stadt
Cassandra Steen & Adel Tawil
Earth Song
Michael Jackson
I Gotta Feeling
Black Eyed Peas
David Guetta
They Don't Care About Us
Michael Jackson
Heavy Cross
Gossip
New Divide
Linkin Park
Heal the World
Michael Jackson
Dirty Diana
Michael Jackson

In Austria
Jungle Drum
Emiliana Torrini
I Gotta Feeling
Black Eyed Peas
Earth Song
Michael Jackson
Not Fair
Lily Allen
I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) [Extended]
Pitbull
They Don't Care About Us
Michael Jackson
Primavera In Anticipo (It Is My Song) [Duet With James Blunt]
Laura Pausini
Stadt
Cassandra Steen & Adel Tawil
Billie Jean
Michael Jackson
Black or White
Michael Jackson

In Belgium
David Guetta
f*ck You
Lily Allen
Boom Boom Pow
Black Eyed Peas
Beat It
Michael Jackson
I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) [Extended]
Pitbull
Billie Jean
Michael Jackson
Release Me
Agnes
Thriller
Michael Jackson
LoveGame
Lady GaGa
Ça M'énerve
Helmut Fritz

In Canada
I Gotta Feeling
Black Eyed Peas
Boom Boom Pow
Black Eyed Peas
I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) [Radio Edit]
Pitbull
Fire Burning
Sean Kingston
Black or White
Michael Jackson
Billie Jean
Michael Jackson
Don't Trust Me
3OH!3
Thriller
Michael Jackson
The Way You Make Me Feel
Michael Jackson
Man In the Mirror
Michael Jackson

In Denmark
David Guetta
Back to the 80's
Aqua
Yo-Yo
Joey Moe
Ayo Technology
Milow
Dirty Diana
Michael Jackson
Hun Vil Ha' en Rapper
Jooks
No Superstar
Remady P&R
Engel
Rasmus Seebach
Svennebanan
Promoe
They Don't Care About Us
Michael Jackson

In Finland...
In Ireland...
In Italy...
In Japan...
In Luxemborg...
In New Zealand...
In Norway...
In Portugal...
In Spain...
and and in Switzerland...

SOURCE: http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10songs.html

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:36:59 pm »
Cal Thomas must walk in the same rarified air as Gov. Sanford to make such a ridiculously pathetic, moronic and laughable piece as was displayed here.

I LOVE the fact that the media was never able to dim his star as a worldwide celebrity.

I wonder what Thomas and his ilk will say when thousands across the globe will commemorate him at the same time?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:21:33 pm »
Michael Jackson's death actually BROKE the internet.  I mean, Joe Q and others joke about cracking the internet in half, but the moment the news broke there were so many people on line the system couldn't handle it.  That's the first time that has ever happened. 

The sheer number of Michael Jackson specials and other coverage makes his comparison absurd.  Is he going to average all the ratings of coverage about MJ gets compared to that one special?  Will he compare revenue?  In life and death, he is number one.  PS, a black man is President. 

Fear of a Black Planet is a very real thing.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 08:16:49 am »
Good read thanks for sharing Reggie. I did see that Mike broke the internet. Amazing.

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 10:19:38 am »
The man was the definition of MEGA superstar, crossing all races and all borders.

“So, Annie Are You Ok
Are You Ok Annie
You've Been Hit By
You've Been Hit By-
A Smooth Criminal”

michaelintp

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:44:46 pm »
I posted something on the Vox Populi section regarding Michael Jackson today (the day of the L.A. Staples Center Memorial Service), probably better left there than moving it here.  They are sincere questions, so I hope some folk will visit there and weigh in.  A friend of mine from work and a former co-worker went to the memorial.  I'll get a report from her tomorrow.

MEANWHILE, ALL DAY LONG, AFTER THINKING ABOUT MICHAEL JACKSON, I CAN'T GET THAT FRICKIN' JACKSON 5 "ABC" SONG OUT OF MY HEAD.  Funny how the minds works.  I always hated that song.*  Hahahaha.   ;D

*I much preferred Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.  ;)

Oh gawd, here it comes again!!!  ARGHHHHHHH!!! :o

Michael: A buh-buh buh buh-buh
J5: A buh-buh buh buh-buh
Michael: You went to school to learn, girl
Things you never, never knew before...
Jermaine: Like I before E except after C...
Michael: And why 2 plus 2 makes four
Now now now, I'm gonna teach you...
J5: Teach you, teach you
Michael: All about love, dear...
J5: All about love
Jermaine: Sit yourself down, take a seat
All you gotta do is repeat after me.

CHORUS:
J5: ABC
Michael: Easy as...
J5: 123
Michael: Or simple as...
J5: Do re mi
Michael: ABC, 123, baby, you and me girl
Michael: As simple as...

Michael: Or simple as...
Michael: As simple as...
Michael: ABC, 123, baby, you and me

Tito: Come on, let me love you just a little bit
Jackie: Come on, let me love you just a little bit
Jermaine: I'm a going to teach how to sing it out
Michael: Come on, come one, come on
Let me show you what it's all about!
Reading, writing and arithmetic
Are the branches of the learning tree
Jermaine: But without the roots of love every day, girl
Michael: Your education ain't complete
T-T-T-Teacher's gonna show you
J5: Show you, show you
Michael: How to get an A
J5 How to get an A
Jermaine: Spell "me" "you"
Jermaine: Listen to me baby, that's all you gotta do
REPEAT CHORUS twice
BRIDGE:
ABC is easy like counting up 3
That's how easy love can be
that's how easy love can be
sing a simple melody
123, you and me
Michael: Sit down, girl!
I think I love you!
No!
Get up, girl!
Show me what you can do!
Shake it, shake it, baby, come on now!
Shake it, shake it, baby, ooo oooh!
Shake it shake it, baby, huh!
ABC, baby, nah nah!
Do re mi, baby, huh!
That's how easy love can be.
123, BABY,
ABC, BABY,
DO RE MI, BABY
THAT'S HOW EASY LOVE CAN BE
IT'S EASY, IT'S EASY LIKE COUNTING UP TO 3
SING A SIMPLE MELODY
Jermaine:I'M A GONNA TEACH YOU HOW TO SING IT LOUD
Michael:COME ON, COME ON, COME ON,
LEMME SHOW YOU WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT
ABC, IT'S EASY , IT'S LIKE COUNTING UP TO 3
SING A SIMPLE MELODY
Jermaine:I'M A GONNA TEACH YOU HOW TO SING IT LOUD
SING IT LOUD, SING IT, GO, SING IT, GO SING IT
Michael:ABC, IT'S EASY AS 123.. (FADES ...)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:36:24 am »
Cal Thomas must walk in the same rarified air as Gov. Sanford to make such a ridiculously pathetic, moronic and laughable piece as was displayed here.

I LOVE the fact that the media was never able to dim his star as a worldwide celebrity.

I wonder what Thomas and his ilk will say when thousands across the globe will commemorate him at the same time?

Argh...the problem with DVRs with events like this is that you never record the entire event.  However, from what I saw, there were MANY moving tributes at the memorial...Earvin Johnson was fantastic.  But AL SHARPTON blew away everyone who wasn't named Jackson.

His words made me think:  Do any of these right wing hatemongers have the capacity to give a speech that moving, that sympathetic, that inspiring?  I can't imagine Rush Limbaugh at Bush's funeral saying words that would have the same effect.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:47:37 pm »

Argh...the problem with DVRs with events like this is that you never record the entire event.  However, from what I saw, there were MANY moving tributes at the memorial...Earvin Johnson was fantastic.  But AL SHARPTON blew away everyone who wasn't named Jackson.

His words made me think:  Do any of these right wing hatemongers have the capacity to give a speech that moving, that sympathetic, that inspiring?  I can't imagine Rush Limbaugh at Bush's funeral saying words that would have the same effect.

This crosses the internet threshold so to speak so forgive me in advance.

DVR? How could you NOT be there?

I readily admit that I criticize the celebrity obsessed culture we have but if I had the disposable income; I would've posted for those tickets and flew out at the speed of sound if I won.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 03:49:15 pm »
I'm working on two TV shows at the same time;  BLACK PANTHER animated series, and directing an episode of RAISING THE BAR.  Keeps a man busy.

Watching it, my wife and I discussed how didn't even try to go.  Don't know why.  I've met Michael, but I just feel wierd about attending funerals of people I don't have a personal relationship with.

michaelintp

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 11:09:49 pm »
That's my feeling too.  My friend, who did go, said it was very saddening.  She's a white woman in her late 50s, a lawyer in my office.  Of course it was saddening ... it was a memorial service. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 08:48:43 am »
A thirteen thread gallery of the top political cartoonists give tribute to the greatest entertainer of the 20th century, Michael Jackson.

Some are in really bad taste while others are done with respect.  You can only guess which artists where thier personal partisanship attitude plays into the work and which ones don't.  

I'm working on two TV shows at the same time;  BLACK PANTHER animated series...--- Reginald Hudlin

Oh, thank goodness!!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:29:27 am by Battle »