Author Topic: 2012  (Read 2565 times)

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« on: July 10, 2009, 06:48:00 pm »
Does this dude know how to do anything else besides destroy the planet?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 07:19:57 pm »
Some only make comedies, some only make romances, so only make duds and he only does disaster movies.  Could be worse--it could be another Will Farrell movie.  :)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:15:05 am »
ah... chiwitel eijiofor is in it.. Danny Glover.. Thandie Newton..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:19:23 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 04:46:23 pm »
This would be cool if there were not so many "Earth is doomed" movies already out there!

Knowing. Armegeddon. Day After Tomorrow. War of The Worlds. Day The Earth Stood Still. Deep Impact.

Forget it I'm moving to Mars where it is safer.

And what will all those Mayan calendar believers do on New Years Day 2013 when the college football bowl season really gets going? You know they can play football in all types of weather even massive tidal waves and flaming hail storms. Touch Down... I meant tornado LOL!

So are these 2012 disasters over a 365 day period or during a particular season like summer? How about a weekend? Mid june would be nice with folks having their vacation interupted so suddenly.

I predict great special effects and maybe the overall tragedy might be able to pull a big opening weekend but the intimacy may be lost unlike the sinking of the ship in the movie Titanic where you are drawn in by the characters involved.

Like the movie Knowing it has it's work cut out for it to sell the story but maybe the whole Mayan Calendar thing can lure viewers in like the Y2K scare that never happened. It would be cool to see the earth cracked in half with miles of hot lava spilling out into outer space or the moon crashing into it.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:28:04 pm »
Just saw it!
It was fun!
Special effects just keep going further over the top.
Not enough character development in my opinion, but I loved the Woody Harralson character! 
Go see it!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 08:46:59 pm »
Just them having a plane intact waiting for them has lost my interests. Im not going to see this film nor even bootleg it. I wont be surprised if the main hero survives so no thanks
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 11:45:27 pm »
Noooooooo.....You don't understand!
The destruction and mayhem is always right behind the hero!!!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 04:03:39 pm »
Very fun film. I enjoyed it. I'm not into disaster films like that, but this is one I definitely recommend watching on the big screen.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »
So......am I the only HEFfa that saw it.  Or the only one that enjoyed it?

It was a HOOT!

The references to President Obama and the homage paid to Governor Arnold were worth the price of admission alone.

I got the grandest chuckle when we learned that the way to salvation was through CHINA!
(Just imagine what it was like to see that bit  surrounded by a young Chinese audience in Beijing.)

Funny enough, (even though it's typical) I don't recall any Black folks making it aboard the arc other than those two.  And the only Chinese were stow-aways.

I would LOVE to write the sequel where the Africans charge entrance fees and demand Visas for entry to the MotherLand. 
The tables get switched and the Africans remain in control of their natural resources (alongside the Chinese).  All the new immigrants must take to the land to earn their keep. Imagining the possibilities!

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 08:19:09 pm »
Just saw it and loved it. 

Of course it makes no sense, but that's not the point.  It's the spectacle, and man it had that in spades. 

I also loved the multiethnic cast, with Chitwel being the co-lead, and hooking up with the beautiful Thandie Newton at the end.  What's wrong with that?

michaelintp

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 03:07:24 pm »
Since the 70's there have been disaster movies - like the original Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. I expected the movie to be more along those lines, but on a global scale. With more serious character development and a far more intense portrayal of the horror that was taking place. Instead, the movie rolled along more like a two and a half hour video game. The repeated "last minute escape from disaster" sequences were admittedly funny, and visually well done in terms of CGI, but they were also just ... silly.

Don't get me wrong ... I found it to be a fun movie (which is OK), and it was very cool to watch the "end of the world" computer graphics on a big screen. But the film could have been so much more.

SPOILER ALERT:

Magic Wand, I assume most of the Chinese were on the Chinese Ark. Seemed the arks were split up by each developed country/region. That's why on the U.S.A. Ark, there was a cross section mostly of Americans, with rich ones paying their way in. Thus a skewed population on the ark.

The film also had interesting implications ... that were not developed. Africa was not submerged in the global flood. This was announced as something unexpected.The implication was that all other continents were, with their entire populations wholly eliminated. (Or did some parts of some other continents "survive" the flood? If this did take place, I don't recall it being mentioned). Did a significant number of Africans survive (despite earthquakes, volcanoes, and mountain shifting)? I would assume so, though I would also assume their infrastructure would have been essentially destroyed (remember, no radio transmissions from earth, when things got really bad). So at the end of the film, this would mean that the vast majority of the human race was African (with all other ethnic groups eliminated except the few on the arks). How would the "multi-ethnic" people on the arks, mostly from the "First World" countries, the last representatives of their cultures and ethnic groups, with their high-technology and weaponry still intact, interact with the survivors in Africa? Would we see a repeat of the domination of Africa by invading forces, or an embracing of the African survivors with everyone living on as one big happy family? The idealistic speech at the end by Chitwel suggests the latter, but ... in the "real world" ... I'm not so sure this is the way it would play out. The emotional reaction that people would have to the elimination of their nations, their cultures and, yes, their races, were not even touched on (and touching on them could have addressed issues of nationalism, racism, bigotry and prejudice in an interesting way). How would the Africans react to the arrival of the arks? Would they accept these survivors with open arms? Or be concerned regarding their intentions, given the destructive history of Colonialism in Africa? None of these issues were touched upon.

I suppose they might be touched upon in a sequel. But given the tone of the first movie, I'm sure in the second everyone would be singing, "It's a Small Small World ..."  :P

But, of course, this movie had nothing to do with what the "real world" would be like if such an overwhelming global disaster took place. Despite everything that was taking place, it was essentially a "feel good" movie. Not particularly thought provoking.

As I said, this could have been a very different movie. The next film I'm going to see is "The Road" ... and my guess (from talking to a colleague of mine who read the book) is that it will be more up my ally.

Still, if you are going to see this movie, you've got to see it on the big screen.

POLITICAL COMMENT:

Note:  I've moved my comment regarding what was, and what was not, included in the film (and why) to the Vox Populi section of the forum, so as not to inject controversial political matters into the "flicks" section (for those of you who don't want to get into those kinds of issues). To see my comment, go to the Vox Populi Section.