Author Topic: President Obama goes to Africa - Ghana first!  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
President Obama goes to Africa - Ghana first!
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:47:47 pm »
President Obama made his first visit to Africa. Ghana was the first country to welcome him as president of the U.S.A.

What do you guys thinks about it, his speech about Africans taking control of their lives, and why he chose Ghana as his first stop?
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: President Obama goes to Africa - Ghana first!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:01:11 pm »
ah, here's the transcript--
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-to-the-Ghanaian-Parliament/

hopefully Wakanda's on the itinerary..  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:11:23 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:59:13 pm »
Reverend Wright, Tavis Smiley, Aaron McGruder, Dyson... AHEM!

Was that "BLACK" enough for ya?

Now let's look over the grocery list.

Bullet train from Cairo, Egypt to Cape Town, South Africa.

Massive imports of African fruit and Shea butter from grade A farms. I wonder what African Angus burgers taste like.

Vacation time shares in places not formally on the Conde Naste top ten places to see. Beaches man, beaches!

An african version of Hollywood where Reggie X can put a brotha on the guest list and whatnot so I can rub elbows with snobby A-list African entertainers who think that they are better than me and are as "FINE" as... in any case if George Lucas can film parts of Star Wars in Africa then why can't Reggie? Black Panther filmed on location anyone!

Festivals, festivals and yet more festivals. Because I wanna get my "AFRICAN" on!

Someone is going to have to engineer and create an African high performance automobile to compete on a dynamic African race track that rivals the "RING" in Germany for all you four wheelers out there to frequent. It should also be named after some long forgotten African queen not named Mercedes.

And while they are at it there should an off road truck tried and tested in the rugged African outback that holds it's own against Jeep, Land Rover and the reliability of Toyota's Land Cruiser.

Africa should be on everybodies list of places to travel too so they have a lot of work to do to get to that point and get beyond all the negative stereotypes associated with it.

Basically what other free countries have already but with an African flavor to it.

Now after that if other leaders around the world want to front of our President then they can get the great big BOZACK and then some!

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:31:13 am »
Yeah, the speech hit the right notes. Otherwise it would have been the usual:

"We'll call you bros. We'll feed your children.
To most of us you're just a charity. But we'll keep giving.
That's the choice we're making. You can't improve your lives.
So you should always follow me, the U.S.A.".
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:57:13 pm by Open palm »
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Jihad the Roughneck

• Thomas Sankara was the greatest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:31:20 pm »
It was dope when Obama went to Africa as a senator and even better as the president.  I thought it was great for the kids to see Africa up close and personal.  It's one thing for a white president to go Africa and witness the artifacts of slavery it's another for a black president.  I was almost in tears thinking about the significance of the first family in the mother land.  All African Americans should make a trip if they are able. 

I understand him going to Ghana and not places that are feeling unrest and turmoil right now, I'm glad he went to western Africa because of the connection many African Americans have with that area, I mean we're from there.  Going to west Africa where we originated and not East Africa where his father is from showed his respect for the history of Africans in America.  I like being respected.
I've got bass tone, I use cologne
and I rock the funky rhymes on the microphone
RUNDMC perfection

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:24:16 am »
Ray-- are there organizations that have group trips to tour key african landmarks?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Jihad the Roughneck

• Thomas Sankara was the greatest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:31:10 am »
I'm not sure if there are or not Hype.   
I've got bass tone, I use cologne
and I rock the funky rhymes on the microphone
RUNDMC perfection