Author Topic: Catch A Fire  (Read 4283 times)

sunjata

Catch A Fire
« on: September 17, 2006, 05:00:34 pm »
Have you guys heard about this upcoming movie?  It sounds like it might be really good.

From Official Movie Website
http://www.catchafiremovie.com/

"Catch A Fire is an intellectual political thriller based on the real-life story of Patrick Chamusso. The film takes place in South Africa, spanning from the country’s turbulent years in the 1980s to the present day. Patrick (Derek Luke) is an oil refinery employee who is apolitical – until he and his wife are brutalized by government-sanctioned terror squads. Even as policeman Nic Vos (Academy Award winner Tim Robbins) further insinuates himself into the lives of Patrick and his family, Patrick becomes a rebel fighter and political operative, staging daring solo attacks against the apartheid regime. "

sunjata

Re: Catch A Fire
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 06:15:51 am »
I am going to be busy this weekend so I will not be able to catch this movie.  If anybody sees it, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:26:33 pm »
I am going to be busy this weekend so I will not be able to catch this movie.  If anybody sees it, I would appreciate your thoughts.

It's not coming out here yet. But I am worried that movies like "Blood Diamond" will attract more viewers because it has leading white actors, Leo Dicaprio and Jennifer Connelly. Does that sound prejudiced? Well - nyah, nyah!
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

sunjata

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 07:21:50 pm »
It's not coming out here yet. But I am worried that movies like "Blood Diamond" will attract more viewers because it has leading white actors, Leo Dicaprio and Jennifer Connelly. Does that sound prejudiced? Well - nyah, nyah!
Actually the ads I have seen for Catch A Fire give top billing to Tim Robbins.  My guess is that this was done to convince the mainstream audience that this is not a “Black” movie. 

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:13:44 pm »
Actually the ads I have seen for Catch A Fire give top billing to Tim Robbins.  My guess is that this was done to convince the mainstream audience that this is not a “Black” movie. 

Arrghh! The news reports say these new slew of movies draw new interest to Africa. But what good are they if Black African characters are seen as supporting characters?  >:(
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 09:27:04 pm »

Considering that the black lead in the film is an unknown...is this really such a problem? OF COURSE people are going for the established actors. The fact that a bunch of mall-shopping Leo fans might actually be exposed to geo-political issues that they probably haven't even HEARD OF, plus the talents of a new black actor is a GOOD THING.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

sunjata

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 06:29:55 am »
Considering that the black lead in the film is an unknown...is this really such a problem? OF COURSE people are going for the established actors. The fact that a bunch of mall-shopping Leo fans might actually be exposed to geo-political issues that they probably haven't even HEARD OF, plus the talents of a new black actor is a GOOD THING.
Considering all the projects he has been in since Amistad, the fact that you are referring to Djimon Hounsou as “unknown” shows the sad state of Hollywood for black actors because to most he is still an unknown.

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 01:50:11 pm »
Considering all the projects he has been in since Amistad, the fact that you are referring to Djimon Hounsou as “unknown” shows the sad state of Hollywood for black actors because to most he is still an unknown.

To be honest, I was getting my movies crossed. Catch a Fire stars Derek Luke, who has been in a few high-profile movies (Spartan, Atwone Fisher) but certainly isn't a household name. And, right or wrong (I agree that it's wrong), Djimon Hounsou isn't a household name either. He is well known among critics, but there aren't any preteen girls with posters of him in their bedrooms. But while that's a shame, I do think that it is a good thing that higher-profile stars are lending some of their fame to movies about such important topics.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

GrimSkill

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 05:31:58 am »

This is Very True because if Luke and Honusou were white actors they would be VERY well known by now.

The media has a Tendancey to take white Actors and Actresses who have only done ONE Movie and say "Hey! Check out this hot new young Actor/Actress as we ask them about thier sex life and what it was like growing up and what other projects they may work on"

It happend to Colin Ferrel and he got huge,it also happend to Leonardo Dicaprio as a matter of fact.

When they start Building up Black Actors the same way then Hollywood won't have such a huge problem with selling movies with them in it anymore.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 08:18:18 am »

This is Very True because if Luke and Honusou were white actors they would be VERY well known by now.

The media has a Tendancey to take white Actors and Actresses who have only done ONE Movie and say "Hey! Check out this hot new young Actor/Actress as we ask them about thier sex life and what it was like growing up and what other projects they may work on"

It happend to Colin Ferrel and he got huge,it also happend to Leonardo Dicaprio as a matter of fact.

When they start Building up Black Actors the same way then Hollywood won't have such a huge problem with selling movies with them in it anymore.

Man it's nice to see we can agree in some things. You're tottaly right here.
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline xombi_ii

• vote!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 06:07:10 am »
Saw the movie, thumbs up!

GrimSkill

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 06:17:46 am »
How was it? Give us a Review please  ;D ;D ;D

sunjata

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 06:34:43 am »
Yes, please elaborate.   I will not be able to see it this weekend.  My friend, whom I will be hangin with, wants to see SAW III and it is her turn to pick the movie.