Author Topic: BLACK HOLE: WHY AREN'T THERE MORE BLACK SUPER HEROES? by David Walker  (Read 13572 times)

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
Re: BLACK HOLE: WHY AREN'T THERE MORE BLACK SUPER HEROES? by David Walker
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 10:44:19 am »
Now that's the Reggie X we know and love!

You know you read that long post above and are thinking about it!

And thinking about it...

And thinking about it...

(It's so tough trying to hypnotize someone via the internet but I'm trying)

If you pulled this one off then your legendary status is sealed in this game!

I'm talking PAD-LOCKED!

Historical!

Epic!

We will even name a street after you!

Or maybe an alley way in a wealthy neighborhood.

Hudlin Boulevard!

So start working on your convention opening speech already!

Reggie X: "My fellow fanbros, we are gathered here today to... (Fill in the blanks)"

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 10:58:04 am »
With an idea like that, you should organize and host it yourself and then send out invitations.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 11:18:49 am »
I have to admit, I'm actually thinking about, trying to figure out whether it's more trouble than it's worth....

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 11:20:48 am »
Here's another note about this whole "black books don't sell" thing....what was the number one stunt this year to get folks into comic stores?  The hardcore fan AND the civilian who doesn't read comics?  Cap dying?  Batman dying?

Nope.  Obama in comics.  

Heh heh heh heh heh...!  That is so true!

...and my Spider-Man copy is labeled as the 3rd printed, variant cover which I kept because as a collector/reader, I wanted everyone else to know on record it was not an 'exclusive'  but as a high sell-through issue!

I gave the 1st printed copy to a good friend.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:22:51 pm by Battle »

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 02:49:13 pm »
To answer Lion's question Reggie has waaaaaaaaaay more name recognition than me out here in Hollywood and certain people particularly directors are better at directing people professionally so I should be wise enough to stay in my own lane for now. But I can certainly help with the promotion of it or in whatever capacity I can best serve the cause. If ever it came to be my own burden then I would do what I can but without a "Name" it is much harder too get things done in this town.

As for Reggie thinking over the trouble of it all we could just clone you so that you can multi-task better. But you will have support so you won't be alone in this. This certainly warrants a whole lot of soul searching on your part but I believe you can handle it especially if you handled all those actors and actresses in Boomerang. LOL!

Think about the "Making Of" documentary that could come of this. The behind the scenes antics as well as the historical significance this would be. There are things that happen in Hollywood in a make believe way that changes the game simply because so and so showed up to browse new talent. BET and any other news media could cover this and blow it up bigger than we may have planned.

And if Marvel really wants to sell black super heroes their promotional give aways that also tie into their main super heroes will be more than just a few Black Panther t-shirts and Storm coffee mugs. We should also consider titling it something that says black but not so black that we scare off the parents of white children who might catch the vapors. When The Anime Expo was held in Anaheim there were some who came across the way from Disneyland to see what was the reason for all them Asian folks dressed like Naruto and Sailor Moon. A dollar is a dollar!

If you can direct Eddie Murphy's crazy @$$ then this should only give you but a few migraines.

Give it more thought as you go about the Comic-con floor and imagine the possibilities. It does not only have to be comic book related but any movie that is being promoted. Universal has several screening rooms just around the corner from the main entrance on their studio lot. My brother works for Universal so I can try and find out who needs their behind kissed to make that happen. This town does movie screenings in its' sleep.

Meditate, pray, walk barefoot in the park or whatever you do and think it over. If you decide not to we still love you because this is one huge burden that could turn into a disaster if not done properly but if we pull this off...

With 3 seconds left on the clock Reggie X is at the free throw line...

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 03:40:25 pm »
There's already a NEW YORK version of a black-themed CON.

No reason at all LA couldn't host a version.

I know some fellas who would show up.

And some ladies too.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 05:41:06 pm »
I'm in NC, do Atlanta and I'm there.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 06:25:19 pm »
That's one of my points.

Because the black super hero genre hasn't yet supported itself with all the benefits that others have it makes traveling to distant locations a not so lucrative venture so it's always a distant second when vacation time share is discussed. Comic-con never has this problem as studios doing movies that are not even related to comic books have screenings for their projects and not to mention all them toys.

But if we knew that at least there was a chance of promoting or even selling your character to whomever was there for the investing opportunity then black folks you had never even known were into comic books would be coming out the walls like Aliens with a new idea thus feeding a growing industry.

I think the Hollywood area has the greatest potential for networking and accidental overnight celebrity luck to qualify as the ideal location for something like this. And if things don't work put for a particular vendor then The Universal theme park (Next door) or Disneyland is a short ride away for your kiddeez amusement. Basically the marketing and selling problem is for each vendor so bring your A game and leave all your cards on the table.

I would not be surprised if their were some government arts grant to help fund this if not some studio with promotional tie ins that could help out with additional monies.

Workshops. With Reggie's knowledge of script writing and directing along with say Spike Lee or Tyler Perry's experience no telling how far we could go with what they bring to the lecture table. If I had a dollar for every actor out here with acting clases to promote. Imagine Eddie Murphy giving voice lessons for his work on Shrek. Samuel "MF" Jackson at the Afro Samurai booth, the Nick Fury booth, the Mace Windu booth, the Snakes On A Plane booth, the this dude is in everything booth. LMAO!

There is a gang of out of work actors and actresses that would love to steal Hero X's gig of dressing up as your favorite super hero for real cheap. I would send them all up in the theme park on a promotional adventure and to the major comic shops in the area preferably Cat's shop right up the street where I first met Kevin Grevioux and his "voice" and Jeph Loeb who put Cat in an episode of Heroes.

With the train stop and major bus traffic converging to that area and airport shuttles from LAX or Burbank Airport this is definitely the place to have it. Anime Expo and Wizard are killing themselves having theirs at the convention center downtown. Not the best places for people to dress in awkward super hero costumes.

OK I'm done talking for now let's hear some other ideas that you think will encourage a good turn out in attendance.

michaelintp

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 08:22:31 pm »
I have to admit, I'm actually thinking about, trying to figure out whether it's more trouble than it's worth....

Reginald, if you did host such an event, you can be sure that I would be there. It would be awesome! I think it is a great idea. Could energize a lot of people and send a powerful message. Might get some executives thinking ... beyond comic books, to movies as well.

Isn't President Obama a comic book fan? ...  ;) (OK ... no kidding ... my imagination was going wild for a moment)

(Oh, but wait ... the Big Event would probably be on a Saturday ...  :-[ )

As to some of the other comments above ... more black authors and artists would probably result in more black characters getting greater exposure, but I know that nobody here is suggesting that black authors or artists should in any way be pigeonholed in this regard.  I still think back to one of the best comic book storylines I ever read, and it was Reginald Hudlin's Spider-Man storyline, which dealt with a segment of the population that is rarely ever represented, or rarely represented positively, in comic books ... that group being Evangelical Christians. That storyline was "outside the box" in just about every respect.

Offline Stephanie

• The Maestro sent me
    • View Profile
    • ComicSpace Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 05:21:50 pm »

Some days yes, then other days no.  Lather, rinse, repeat...

The event comes and while you're all wrapped up in hunger, panic, and sleep-deprivation, you see kids holding comics they can identify with wearing big smiles on their faces.

And, yeah, worth it.

Stephanie
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 05:40:43 pm by Stephanie »
ECBACC Treasurer and Project Manager

Website * Email

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 11:45:04 pm »
These two kids need to talk.

Steph, Reg.

Reg, Steph.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 11:53:18 am »
I came late to this discussion so here's my two cents on the article. I disagree with the part regarding Black Lightning not working as a character. Having a chance to correspond with Black Lightning's creator Tony Isabella via email, Volume one of Black Lightning was cancelled due to DC Comics implosion of the late seventies. Volume Two actually sold fairly well until Tony and his editor had creative differences and was removed off the title and Black Lightning's series went downhill like a runaway shopping cart.

IMO, Black Lightning had loads of potential and Tony Isabella had the best of intentions when he created him. For those of you who are unaware, D.C. originally wanted to do a hero called "Black Bomber" about an Archie Bunker-type bigot who transforms into a super powered black guy in times of stress.

Tony was against this idea and said not only will people march to the DC offices and burn it down but he'll be leading the way. So D.C. challenged him to come up with a new black hero within two weeks and Black Lightning was the result of that effort.

While I wasn't crazy about the Afro Wig helmet, I think Black Lightning had loads of potential but a series of conflicts between D.C. and Tony left the character to be underdeveloped and underutilizied.

Until recently, Black Lightning never appeared in any D.C. animated series or live action because Tony inked a deal with them upon creation that he would get royalties for non-comics use of the character.

So cartoons like the Superfriends opted to use a knockoff character called "Black Vulcan".

I wasn't crazy about Black Lightning's appearance in Batman: The Brave and The Bold because I felt that TPTB behind the series made him into a Static Shock imitation and a teeny bopper.

A shame because again there was loads of untapped potential with the adult Black Lightning appearing in animated form but they had to make Batman look good.

I also didn't like Black Lightning Year One. DC should've got Tony Isabella to write it so he can expound upon some of the things he didn't get around to in volume one of Black Lightning, but Tony and DC aren't on the best of terms at the present.

Other than that, I liked his portrayal and use in Batman and The Outsiders. I don't like how the editorial at DC removed the lightning sparkling from his eyes. That was a cool look. 

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 08:32:25 pm »
So the real question may be is Marvel or DC holding us back?

or

Are we holding ourselves back when we deal with them in hopes of them letting us do what we need to do to be successful?

In that interview Reggie made a good point in that these were "The Toys" that Marvel let's you play with but they are not "Your Toys" and someone else will get to play with them later.

That Black Comic Book Convention in Los Angeles is slowly starting to look like our best option at this point.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 10:41:07 pm »
Years ago I was talking with Robert De Niro and I told him I studied his working relationship with Scorcese, and De Niro told me "no, you should find your own way". 

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 08:58:32 am »
"You talking to me...?"

"You insulted him just a little bit."

(Reggie holding a bat walking around a round table of black creators and artists)

Reggie X: "When a man is a part of a team..."

(Michael Davis, Mac Dee, Denys Cowan, General Grevioux and a couple of other cats place their hands over their heads in preparation for an A Rod on the juice onslaught)

Reggie X: "But if the team doesn't win..."

(Aaron McGruder is hit multiple times by a Home Run hitting Reggie)

Aaron Mcgruder: "MAAAN! I thought we squashed that beef for the sake of black unity!"

The Plot Thickens!