Author Topic: An Alternative View on the BLACK PANEL at COMIC CON INTERNATIONAL...  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Kevin Grevioux

• View Profile
A good friend of mine wrote this article on his column and I'd like to know everyone's opinions and let's start some intelligent dialog on it.

http://www.comicswaitingroom.com/vince40.html

KG

Offline hero X

• Repping the Black Heroes
    • View Profile
Re: An Alternative View on the BLACK PANEL at COMIC CON INTERNATIONAL...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 01:04:19 pm »
WOW!!!!  I don't know where to being well..... yes I do.  Here's and idea why don't we start lifting up where we see shortcomings and give ideas where we see complacency.  I am a firm believer that we are in an age that some feel that  in the death of black media, black entertainment and the black race is the idea that we can only rise by causing a downfall.  I don't know the brother but I do know that for all that some complain about how Michael formats and runs "The Black Panel" your friend or anyone else has taken the reigns and done anything.  I see so many ppl giving criticisms and calling the panel "cooning" yet that's all I see, I love my race and I LOVE my brothers and sisters but we HAVE GOT TO STOP THIS!!!!  Yes the article was though provoking but besides that all I saw was putdown,putdown,putdown...call him a coonminstrel...give no constructive ideas or helping hand..putdown,putdown..throw out a few names(He thinks should be on the panel) putdown.  I agree Kevin about an open dialouge but playing the advocate how can Michael,Reggie,Denys or anyone involved take measures and or countermeasures for a more productive panel when you are attacked from all sides, I mean if a man shoves a gun in your face and calls you names and then says hand over your money do you do it with a smile..no.  So, in closing how about your friend or anyone help to make it better not highlight what they think makes it worse, I for one think that yes it's a bit chaotic but it's a good way to unwind and get away from the SDCC craziness.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:19:05 pm »
What I read:

Blah, Blah, I hate Michael Davis,

Blah, Blah, Mike Davis is a coon,

Blah, Blah, Suck my dick Mike Davis,

Blah, Blah, the end.

P.S.: I hate rap too.

Look I know folks hate the guy. It may even be for good reason.

But I've never been to the Black Panel and I want to know what its like and I still don't know after reading all of that.

I know its too much to ask for on teh internets but how about some focused critcism aside from the bile?

Like how much of the show should be given over to audience questions and how much should be given to panelists?

The writer seems shocked that Lucacris was invited and i'm shocked he even bothered to show up considering the venue.

Inexplicably, the writer also seems to be surprised that D.C. and Marvel projects and D.C. and Marvel super hero characters were the main supject of discussion. That's just willfully obtuse right there.But what the brother has failed to recon with is that for the most part black comics fans are like white comics fans in that they are  largely indifferent to indy stuff.

You could do a panel promoting a whole host of indy goodness and I wonder how many folks would actually show. The Panel is designed the way it is in the face of that.  

He's got a point about Angela Robinson and Felicia D. Henderson.

He also has got a point about hyping a third rate rap act at the Black Panel. Why do that?

'Luda is right there slip him a demo and be done with it?

Dude could have dealt with his misgiving about Michael Davis'
self promoting ways in a paragraph but he beat that dead horse 'til I began to wonder if the brother owed him money or something.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:48:34 am by Vic Vega »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:31:15 pm »
^^^^ heh-heh-heh... get 'em, Vic!  (but isn't the mod's last name Davis? Were ya thinking of Tubbs from Miami Vice?)   ;D

anyway... whatever the shortcomings of said panel, hopefully the concept will evolve and spread seeds, where there is more multicultural participation at the vendor, panelist and fan level.. more black pop culture figures getting involved in comics is cool.. Tyrese, Ludacris, etc.

And, hint-hint, maybe this is where things like ECBAC  comes in-- http://ecbacc.com/wordpress/

and OnyxCon coming in a few weeks- http://onyxcon.blogspot.com/
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 04:18:20 pm »
anyway... whatever the shortcomings of said panel, hopefully the concept will evolve and spread seeds, where there is more multicultural participation at the vendor, panelist and fan level.. more black pop culture figures getting involved in comics is cool.. Tyrese, Ludacris, etc.

Yeah, I'm with Vic and Hype...

Never been to The Black Panel nor a comic con and from what I understand that when the comic con first started in the late 60s, the gathering  of nerds wasn't anything close to what is today.  
So you wanna talk discomfort...?
I'm quite sure Mr. Moore wouldn't even be allowed to attend, if y'know um sayin'...! ;)

Man, I was hoping just once...! Just once, could someone PLEASE  give a clear description of that Black Panther clip so that I can get an idea of its  progress...?  
...or at the very least, someone post the clip online...?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:38:01 pm by Battle »

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:32:57 pm »
DAYUM!

Just when I was sooooo close to convincing Reggie to host a black comic book convention in Los Angeles...

(Puts on referee stripes and goes into the instant replay booth)

After further review... the play stands as called. The Black Panel has pros and cons on both sides.

Michael Davis does need to check himself on some things just for the sake of the black comic book genre to thrive and succeed beyond where we currently stand. I still want him as the main speaker over Reggie for his quick wit and dynamic ability to put himself in such a position of power in the first place but he must be aware of the criticisms against him and find humility to change for the better.

Michael is a fanbro and one of us so we will all grow together as family. The past is the past so let's move forward.

The next time any rapper spits flames on the microphone there had better be some references to The Black Panther, Storm or something comic book related. I warned some of us here about that Black Super Hero versus The American Gangster stuff. Hip Hop has sold millions in albums and concerts where as black comic books are on the verge of cancellation and struggling. Static Shock has a theme song that my son knows well and that same son who is drawing his own characters went to sleep during The Black Panel for lack of primary colored eye candy until I woke him up to take a pic with Hero X. I was happy to see you all but my son could not wait to get back to the toy booths on the convention floor. As a future black creator he should be inspired by what the generations before him are building as an example and not bored. If Lil Romeo or whoever sings the Statis Shock theme song showed and performed he would have been jumping in the aisle. It's more lucrative to sell him than it is to sell me.

Ludacris needs to play a super hero in a movie first or at least wear a Black Panther t-shirt because that is fanbro time not Hip Hop's.

If this were a football team we would be at the point of arguing amongst ourselves in the huddle during the game. It is not helping us win but we are at least on the field of play so there is a chance for victory.

Historically we will have to look back at what the black comic book community should have been if corrections are not made. Every last one of us is a failure in this genre for not delivering what has been in us to bring forth. Articles like these are good because they induce dialogue that should have come out a long time ago.

If G4 or any other television station had filmed us and aired it we all could have been mocked by white fanboys who see us as "Those People" who still do not have our collective stuff together yet. Outside opinions can be very harsh on us especially if it affects the green lighting of future black comic book products.

Something to think over...

If you were Marvel would you trust your character The Black Panther to be signed over for the black creators and artists to deliver a hit movie or would you sit back and wait for the black comic book genre to really get it together before committing to it yourself. What The Black Panther is is what we are supposed to be. The Black Panther is classy, wise and has a genius level intellect to use better technology to further his plans. The laptop on the screen is so not Black Panther so some of us will have to use Maya, Renderman or some better computer software to catch up for next season. The Black Panel has some deep pocketed cats that could upgrade the system at a moments notice.

True super heroes make adjustments for the better and some of you brothas have bigger pocketbooks than the rest of us if you count movie residuals so make an extra commitment to donate a little better for those of us on a lower budget. If those at the top do not do it others may come along and gain the people's trust and money and do it Star Wars style themselves. Regime changes can be rough sometimes!

So next year will we have these same disputes with many of us choosing sides again?

Do we want a united fanbro community from here to ECBAC to blacksuperhero.com or do we want consistent mediocrity and another Milestone versus ANIA?

If we did a black super hero team up would The Justice League, The X-men and The Avengers make bets on how long we would stay together as a unit?

Contemplate that as we watch Ironman 2, Spiderman 4, Superman 6 and Batman 7 and still no Black Panther movie.

The black super hero movement needs an adjustment on all fronts and should be open for suggestions to improvement and possible changes on who is invited to speak at The Black Panel and why.

It would be ashamed if some of us suddenly became super villains trying to hold power over people...

Offline hero X

• Repping the Black Heroes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 06:49:49 pm »
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!! 8)

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:33:15 pm »
So far I nominate Reggie X, Michael Davis, DC (Denys Cowan), Mac Dee (McDuffie) and General Grevioux for the initial Knights of The Roundtable due to their being a "Name" in the industry. Wesley Snipes and Michael Jai White are honorary for their super hero portrayals.

But for the keeping it real crowd a dude like Hero X is number one because he kept his word that he would dress as The Black Panther and far exceeded anything that I was expecting. That is true FANBRO heart right there and cannot be denied nor replaced.

Seriously... I thought dude was going to come in some cheap black feet pajamas with a black towel draped over his back or something. LMAO!

But also... some of the peeps at blacksuperhero.com should be included even though some of them are die hard militants they will still give us an edge needed to balance out all that executive power and remind us of what it is to be hungry from time to time.

Mshindo
Standingo
MRasheed
Uraeus
Milton Davis

The first meeting will be a disaster as name calling and chair throwing riots erupt but if we weather the Storm (Pun) then we will eventually get it all together by the fifth meeting.

And then come the women...

Ashley
Lanithai
VJ
Sharise

And we will all stick out our chests and behave because... never mind.

With all this talent united we could be bigger than The Antidote Trust.  ;D

Cross promotions.. cross promotions... cross promotions...

And if an idea does not further the black comic book genre then discard it.

If your favorite entertainer is just there to promote his own non-comic book related project he or she is costing us revenue and credibility even if they are rich as Oprah.

The comic book collection plate needs to be filled first and that includes video games, movies and merchandise related to comic books.

There are others like Aaron McGruder who may have to sit a good distance from Reggie and possibly Samuel Jackson, Halle Berry and Don Cheadle dependent upon his portrayal of Rhodey in Ironman 2.

Why do I feel like Norman Osborn right now?

If I were more diabolical I could wipe out the entire black fanbro community and the world would be mine... ALL MINE!

I'm sorry what was I saying...

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 07:49:06 am »
From the Niggapalooza article:
I wondered and waited for my complimentary watermelon and fried chicken to accompany the aural Kool-Aid being force fed into my ears and brain. Except Mr. Davis had brought out the bucket of KFC two years before as joke prop. I guess there was no chicken left by 2009.

What's wrong with watermelon?  Serving food is all about presentation but presentation don't mean a thing if you're not up on the cool recipes!  Speaking of cool, here's a watermelon treat that can be prepped in 4 easy steps that should mellow any Tom called:

Chilled Watermelon
Serves 12, prepares in 30 minute, 10 hours total (including freezing)

• 5lb baby seedless watermelon (seedy is O.K.)
  • ½ cup sugar
  • Red and green food color
  • ½ cup light corn syrup
  • ¼ cup fresh lime juice
  • 1 pt lemon sorbet
  • 2 Tbsp mini-semisweet chocolate chips

1. Halve watermelon lengthwise. Scoop out red watermelon flesh from both halves in chunks; reserve one hollowed-out watermelon half. Puree the watermelon flesh in blender w/ sugar, adding a few drops of red food color to deepen color.  Transfer to a bowl.  Stir in corn syrup and lime juice (you will have about 6 cups); refrigerate mixture.

2. Using a small serrated knife and a large spoon, cut out and scrape all of the light green and whitish rind in the reserved watermelon half, without breaking through the outside rind, until all that’s left is a watermelon “shell”; freeze the shell for at least 2 hours

3. Slightly soften lemon sorbet and spoon into a bowl; fold in 1 or 2 drops green food color until sorbet is tinted the pale green color of water rind. Spread into frozen watermelon shell, re-creating the rind. Freeze for 2 hours.

4. Pour the chilled red watermelon mixture into an ice cream maker, in batches if necessary. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions; stir in mini-chocolate chips. Spread watermelon sorbet into shell to fill up to the inner edge of the lemon sorbet, pressing down to pack it (freeze any extra in a small freezer container). Freeze several hours (if you plan to slice this, it’s easiest to do so after 4 hours of freezing; cut slices and store flat on baking tray in freezer). Let watermelon half stand at room temperature 5 minutes before scooping.

Offline Gooch

• The only thing that is not common is sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 08:17:46 am »
^^^^ heh-heh-heh... get 'em, Vic!  (but isn't the mod's last name Davis? Were ya thinking of Tubbs from Miami Vice?)   ;D

And, hint-hint, maybe this is where things like ECBAC  comes in-- http://ecbacc.com/wordpress/

and OnyxCon coming in a few weeks- http://onyxcon.blogspot.com/

I am in atlanta, pass me some info about this and i will show up
the game is messed up,  singers want to be gansters, gangsters want to be rappers, and rappers want to  be actors

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 08:46:57 am »
Some good points in the long article....only attended two Comic Cons (both in NYC)....Walter Mosley would have been a good addition - he's one of the best out there...some of the points seemed to be debateable...what is the solution and what is his position on providing said solution?  will he host another version of this or coordinate something more balanced?

Offline Jamie Coville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 07:54:17 am »
If anybody wants to hear the black panel and make up their own mind I recorded it, plus many others.
It can be found at http://www.TheComicBooks.com/audio.html

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 12:13:49 pm »
I don't remember signing a release form to use my voice in that recording.

We can settle out of court for a Subway sandwich, chips and a soft drink.

Now let's get back on topic.

Just like professional athletes we can review film of last weeks game and make adjustments or improvements for the next game.

Since many of you were not there it was probably hard to tell what was going on and even harder to filter out the noise too. And since we are all family in some way or another we should be able to be critical where need be so that we all improve the black super hero genre enough to stand on its' own two feet.

Note to selves: Let's try to have more free promotional items to give away next time. A t-shirt, keychain or ink pens with characters on them that remind us of these rare occasions. And since their is a "free Comic Book Day" their should at least be a free Black Panther comic or a Milestone one.

New guests: Phil Lamarr voice on Static Shock and John Stewart's Green Lantern. And where was Darth Vader/Grover voice Kevin Grevioux? Reggie call Halle so I can get my Storm/Catwoman eye candy on pretty please and ask her why she is not promoting the one character that really put her name on the map as far as mega huge hit movies go. If Halle still loves Storm encourage her to submit her own stories on what she wanted to do with the character for a change. She can write can't she? Don't call her now... call her RIGHT NOW!

Less rappers that have no affiliation with any comic book characters...

I'm willing to forgive Ludicras' grand exit interupting my little speech during the question and answer period except I was trying to promote a possible "Black" comic book convention which is far more important to us than his album sales or prior engagements. As Fanbros we have to get our priorities straight or The Hip Hop community will lose all respect for us if they can step all over our ideals with their own GANGSTERISMS. I hate to beat you up with that idea of The Black Super Hero versus The American Gangster but his getting up to leave at that point in the questioning was about as prophetic a sign as we could have received. There are many celebrities like Gene Simmons, Rosario Dawson, Nicholas Cage and now Tyrese that have comic books of their own but they do not nor never overshadow Spiderman, Batman or Star Wars on Fanboy weekend. The Black Panther does not say to Storm "Move B!tCH... get out the way" ever. We are super heroes not the best friends of those who do not have a decent enough respect to rap about what we believe in and then are giving VIP treatment when it is most convenient for them. I had other quick questions but I left the line at the point since the air had been sucked out of the room and the comic book focus was all gone.

ZZZZZZZZZ!

OK my fanboy son went fast asleep about 15 minutes in. We cannot ignore this when he reads The Black Panther and has several of his toys. He knows The Static Shock theme song by heart and in addition to handling Mac Dee (McDuffie) in a Ben 10 trivia at The Antidote Trust booth last year his parents have a modest purchasing power just to keep him happy. In the future we need to cater more to that black Disneyland aged crowd if we are to one day have that multi-billion dollar pay out. Trust me... you keep my son in a gleeful mood and I will right you a blank check. i.e. super hero video games, DVD's, theme songs, etc. etc. $$$$$$$$$$ versus ZZZZZZZZ you do the math!

Speaking of trivia with Mac Dee... how about a black super hero trivia with a prize awarded at the end of the panel?

Who was Icon's sidekick?

Who did Hardware work for?

What was T'challla's grandfather named?

What african country is Storm originally from?

We need to arrive at a point where our characters outshine the talent behind them like they do at Marvel and DC so that the characters themselves pay the rent and not the other way around.

Now this is all in the past for now and I did enjoy seeing and meeting people like Hero X and having Reggie give me my 15 minutes of fame so the panel was full of positives but getting back to the game film aspect... it's time for us to play for a championship next season!

Hopefully... Flex Hectic can be on that panel too!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 11:51:58 pm »
Hmmm, I posted my responses on that site already. 

When I have problems with Michael's panel (that he puts together, no easy feat) I tell him and offer to help. 

I wonder if Vince has ever done that.

And if he doesn't like Michael enough to do so, I hope he does his own panel next year.  There's more than enough talent to be featured.  In fact, one of the problems of the panel is that there are always too many people on it AND too many people NOT on it.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 08:57:40 am »
If anybody wants to hear the black panel and make up their own mind I recorded it, plus many others.
It can be found at http://www.TheComicBooks.com/audio.html

Sounds like the Black Panel blew up the spot, yo!

As I've written before, never been to a comic con but If I ever were to go to one
---it should jump-off like that!