Author Topic: Funny People  (Read 1410 times)

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
Funny People
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:45:31 pm »
I hate it when the title has nothing to do with the movie...

It's as bad as when the video has nothing whatsoever to do with the song!

Saw this with my wife, we were expecting a grown-folks movie about a comic who gets bad news and starts to make the world laugh while he lives in misery, or something along those lines.

Boy, were we wrong.  Instead were got a s**t-load of d**k and ball jokes. 

Do young, white, tweeners really make that many references to their packages when they hang out?  Does anybody know?

Before I was married, and I hung with my boys we'd make one or two "Deez" jokes, but that was it.  That's all these cats do, in the movie of course, but I'm wondering where he (Apatow) got the inspiration from.  He must've seen it take place, somewhere.

Guess it don't matter, it was the No. 1 movie so it must be doing something right...though what, I don't exactly know.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Funny People
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:10:47 pm »
Do young, white, tweeners really make that many references to their packages when they hang out?

Is it wrong of me to point out you used "package" and "hang out" in the same sentence....there is a joke to be made there.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I've enjoyed most of what Apatow and Rogen have put out there, so I'm looking forward to it.

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:55:02 pm »
Do young, white, tweeners really make that many references to their packages when they hang out?

Is it wrong of me to point out you used "package" and "hang out" in the same sentence....there is a joke to be made there.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I've enjoyed most of what Apatow and Rogen have put out there, so I'm looking forward to it.

Umm, no, no joke there.  Was looking for a PC way to say male genetalia without breaking out the Taber's Medical Dictionary and "hang out" as in congregate.

I like the other Apatow flicks too, that's what's drove me bat-s**t 'bout this.  The trailers play it up as his growth in film, his most mature outing, and I guess worded like that, technically, it is...but it's still pretty juvenile, IMO.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 06:25:06 pm »
I finally saw FUNNY PEOPLE and enjoyed it.  By now my expectations had been lowered, but I appreciated the film for what it was. It played for me like Judd Apatow's version of Woody Allen's STARDUST MEMORIES or Marvin Gaye's HERE, MY DEAR.  All three are artists at the top of their game being really honest to the point of freaking out the audience.