Author Topic: UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira  (Read 4286 times)

Jenn

UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:59:13 pm »
Does anybody care? How much can Big Sam Wilson hate?  ;D

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 03:23:37 pm »
let me see...

nogeria lost to Frank Mir, Couture to Lesnar. Once upon a time nogeria was a legend, but his game was how much punishment can I take before I sub you. Had to catch up to him sometime. Couture is just old. Two guys who will probably be in physical therapy for the rest of their lives who will probably go the distance.

So

Don't

Care.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:18:16 pm »
It's a really solid card up and down, I'm looking forward to it, the main event is interesting.  Maybe Nog aint done yet, but last fight even though Randy did alright, he's starting to actually look old.  I mean against Tim and Gonzaga he looked in great shape, but against Lesnar he looked a little like Jack Lalanne so I don't know how many fights he got in him.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Jenn

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:21:34 pm »
I don't think you can look old fighting Brock Lesnar. I just wonder WTF was Couture thinking. There wasn't any reason for him to take that fight, was there?

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:57:13 pm »
I don't think you can look old fighting Brock Lesnar. I just wonder WTF was Couture thinking. There wasn't any reason for him to take that fight, was there?

Weelll...I think that Randy coming to terms with DANA in court was a major reason for him taking the fight. I think that he was contractually obligated to fight whoever Dana wanted him to fight,and Dana was looking for $. Brock v Couture= big $. Not as much as hoped for ( or so I heard) but still powerful ppv sales. Aaaand Couture was gonna make a mill+ on the fight once you factor in his ppv cut. So yeah the $ was it.

But from a fighting perspective,I'd've liked Randy to have a tune-up before locking up with Brock. Still think Brock was a live underdog,and Randy was actually WINNING that fight until he got hit by those monster fists during the standup then piston pummeled out by those 2x4's that Brock calls forearms and fists.

Yeah,I just read where fools want Anderson to fight Brock,70 pound weight difference be damned. Lol.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Jenn

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:05:32 pm »
Well sh*t, Silva is...Silva. Problem is, I don't recall his chin ever being tested. Nobody can get close enough to even try. But that's because they can't get too close. I can't see Lesnar being afraid of a punch by Silva. He'd walk right through those things. Is Silva going to stay at 205, BTW? Because if we keep Silva and Machida, and bring in Mousasi, we're looking at a seriously stacked 205. For all the talk about Machida being the champ for forever and a day, I think he's more like the Williams sisters. They were playing a kind of tennis that nobody had ever seen, so they dominated...but eventually the game caught up. And in MMA, I think it's going to catch up quicker than we think. But right now, Silva seems unstoppable. Machida, we'll have to wait and see.

Speaking of Silva...can anybody tell me what the hell happened here? I don't believe Forrest took a dive or anything, but his chin has been tested HARD. Regardless of what we think of the Rampage fight, the bottom line is that he didn't get knocked out like we all thought he would. Is Silva THAT dope? Because I just don't see what caused the knockout. I see why he went down the first time, but the second...?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:09:15 pm by Jenn »

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 02:09:21 pm »
Silva's been punched many times, his head just never snaps back on impact, I remember him fighting Jorge Rivera and holding him in the clinch and just sitting there waiting for Jorge to punch him and Jorge tagged him pretty good a couple times and Silva just winked at him.

Forrest has never had that great a chin, his ability to withstand hard shots is courtesy of his great conditioning.  He's able to recover pretty fast and stay in the fight but he's always had trouble taking a good punch.  Silva rocked him like 2-3 times before that and when he through that baby jab at Forrest, Forrest was lunging forward and you can clearly see in slow motion, Forrest's chin buckled, his ears flapped and the sweat flew, it hit him hard.  And plus Forrest was so embarassed and f'd up he just didn't wanna be in there anymore.

Silva is that dope, he never ceases to amaze me
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 02:21:27 pm »
I thought Randy did well against Brock, but I wouldn't say he was winning at all.  I mean Brock got the takedowns and hurt Randy when he landed.  Randy drew first blood but I don't think he hurt Brock all that much besides superficial damage.  I kind of liken fighting Brock to stepping in the cage with a polar bear:  you can train all you want, eventually the thing's just gonna slap the tar outta ya.

As far as Randy coming back, I think he wasted enough time and really didn't deserve any tune ups, I'm just glad they got the title off of him so he can't pull that crap again.  He got paid, I think that's enough of a reward for the BS he pulled.

Silva is amazing but Brock is just too big, the end.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 04:00:54 pm »
The Sensei has a prediction. 8)

Vitor Belfort will STOP Silva!!!

Yes, I said it.

He has the hand-speed. punching power and skill to pull off the greatest upset in MMA history.

P.S. As a pre-emptive Sam "Less weight, more hate" Wilson will of course attack this. ;D

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 05:23:01 pm »
The Sensei has a prediction. 8)

Vitor Belfort will STOP Silva!!!

Yes, I said it.

He has the hand-speed. punching power and skill to pull off the greatest upset in MMA history.

P.S. As a pre-emptive Sam "Less weight, more hate" Wilson will of course attack this. ;D

You are indeed the man Sensei, but I'm not seein it this time.  I think Vitor will have enough trouble getting by Ace.  I could be wrong but I don't see any Middleweight born of a woman being able to stop the Spider
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 02:19:11 pm »

yeah, a big one. $.

Jenn

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 09:34:01 pm »
Well, that was a complete waste of a night. Minotauro fought a hell of a match...but you don't care because it was against Randy Couture. Couture did some AMAZING escapes on the ground...but who cares? It was Randy Couture.

Randy reminds me a lot of Janet Jackson, who should've retired at LEAST two albums ago. (Damita Jo was seriously underrated.) There comes a time when, whether you can do it or not, it's time to sit back and let the younguns take over. As we say in the south, you are just too old to be 'the lick'. It happens. Now Randy is nothing but an exhibition fighter, where anything he does good is a testament to his greatness. Don't get me wrong, he's RIDICULOUS at 46 years old, but...time passes. You don't have to keep competing against these kids - you BUILT this sh*t! Randy DID look like he was fighting a bear when he took on Lesnar. At first, I hated to see it happen. Now I'm just sick of his old ass limping in the ring every four fights.

Thiago Silva looked great, and the fastest knockout in UFC history (seven seconds!) happened tonight (Todd Duffee).

But overall? Mad dull.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 01:42:36 pm by Jenn »

Jenn

It'll make your eyes water!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 02:32:30 pm »
Wait...I forgot about the Gonzaga nut sack kick

For those who don't know, Gonzaga weights 260 pounds. Tuchscherer was puking in a bucket, he was in so much pain, but he went on and fought anyway. That's a warrior right there.

http://cagewars.blogspot.com/2009/08/ufc-102-gabriel-gonzaga-vs-chris.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:44:14 pm by Jenn »

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 07:50:44 am »
I thought it was a great night of fights.  Awesome main event and a ton of sick KOs.  Poor Demian, you gotta block the head when you throw kicks!
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron