Author Topic: Carano v. Cyborg  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Carano v. Cyborg
« on: August 14, 2009, 02:53:26 pm »
NEW YORK (June 9, 2009)–-After an eight-month hiatus, mixed martial arts’ (MMA) leading lady, the undefeated and extremely popular Gina “Conviction” Carano (7-0) will compete in the first fight of her multi-fight agreement with STRIKEFORCE and is set to square off with rival powerhouse Cris “Cyborg” (7-1) in what is one of the most eagerly anticipated battles of all time, Saturday, August 15, live on SHOWTIME® at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.   

Carano and Cyborg, the consensus two best female fighters in the world, will be the first women in MMA history to headline a major MMA fight card.  In addition, they will fight for the first STRIKEFORCE 145-pound Female Championship.

http://www.mmachump.com/mma/2009/06/gina-carano-is-back-carano-vs-cyborg-august-15/

Anybody going to see this?

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Carano v. Cyborg
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 03:19:07 pm »
Yes, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I think Carano is going to win by decision.

She is the naturally bigger woman( Quiet Jenn 8)) and I believe the more powerful striker.

Jenn

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 03:30:06 pm »
Looking forward to it. With Gina fighting at what I believe is her NATURAL fighting weight, she'll be a beast in the ring. And Cyborg is...well, Cyborg.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:06:42 pm »
Yes, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I think Carano is going to win by decision.

She is the naturally bigger woman( Quiet Jenn 8)) and I believe the more powerful striker.

Man, I don't see how Gina's gonna win this one, she's basically fighting Wanderlei in a wig
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Jenn

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 05:36:56 pm »
This is mixed martial arts. Anything can happen - and often does. Carano knows this is her first real fight. If she gets Kimbo'd, women's MMA will be dead in the water.

Jenn

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 09:19:51 pm »
CYBORRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, props to Gina. For a minute, I found myself cheering for her. She's still an incredible fighter, but for f*cks sake, Gina, YOU ARE NOT 145 POUNDS. You will never be 145 pounds. You cannot fight at 145 pounds. Stop cheating yourself and stop cheating the fans. Get some stones and move up so you can get some REAL competition.

Also...remember the name Gegard Mousasi. Babalu got ROCKED and that little bastard didn't break a sweat. If you missed it, shame on ya!!!

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 02:14:07 pm »
That was a really good fight, both of them just went at it.

Mousasi is a stud no doubt, would love to see him take on the UFC
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 03:22:35 pm »
I don't know what Carano was doing in there.

Gina had a mount with dominant position and instead of continuing to pummel Cyborg she let her up.

That proved crucial as a few seconds longer could've had her in the 2nd RD.

Cyborg is a beast but I think some rust on Carano played into this as well.

Jenn

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:32:09 pm »
I don't know how they expect women to stay in top form when they're only fighting 2-3 times a year. And I'm not too sure about 5 minute rounds right now. It's good to brag about, sure. But had the rounds been three minutes (like many male fights are), this fight could've been completely different.

Jenn

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:04:25 pm »

In the words of the great Rick James...COLD-BLOODEEEEEED!!!!!

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 06:16:34 am »
I personally am glad for this particular outcome for one reason predominantly and worried for the same reason: Carano's loss puts her out of the big,and sets up potentially far more substantial bouts for women's MMA with Cyborg. However,that's ALSO THE PROBLEM. Cyborg is nowhere near as attractive (in the physical media sense) that Carano is,and Cyborg is fully available to the mean-spirited disses that indicate that women fighters are faaaar more masculine and physically less beautiful than women in general.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw