Author Topic: American Gangster on The Biography Channel  (Read 19825 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
American Gangster on The Biography Channel
« on: September 05, 2009, 01:57:42 pm »
Its a testament to BET's failure to achieve substantive change that AMERICAN GANGSTER has now been added to the Biography Channel and may start the 3rd season there.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
Re: American Gangster on The Biography Channel
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »
As a super hero I say bury it there and replace it with Black American Super Hero and profile black super heroes as the opposite of that coin!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:16:46 pm »
As a super hero I say bury it there and replace it with Black American Super Hero and profile black super heroes as the opposite of that coin!

Why can't there be both at BET?

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 05:46:32 pm »
Because the Gangster ideals need to die a good death in the Obama era.

Black gangstas have had their genre now it is time to for Black Bond Villains where a larger and more creative standard is achieved than the same old mundane Boyz in Da Hood routine.

WAIT... are you serious?

Attention Black Community: Freakin Let Go Already!

That lifestyle cost us Biggie, Tupac, Jam Master Jay, Scott La Rock, Tookie and even Suge Knight's once powerful business acumen to all that madness. Gangsterism only takes... it does not give back so good riddance!

Black folks can pack the concert hall to hear Gangsta Rap for hours on end but cannot come to conventions like SIGGRAPH to learn the latest software to create better graphics for our comics book characters, sci-fi movies and animation! I counted a total of seven brothas there (Yes I counted) and still we wonder why our production values as black folks are as low as our expectations!

Stop serving 2 masters and promote black super heroes from now on before your blessings are taken away from you and the Latino Super Hero Community takes our vacant spot.

This is why white fanboys mock us so much... bury that (c)rap and pretend as if it never existed!

If we made a legitimate effort to promote black super heroes without double minded hesitation then it will bring more potential creators and writers out of the woodwork and it would help fund our industry as it has done for Hollywood already.

I would love to submit my vast volume of characters to BET but not if all the funding and attention was focused on Gangsters and their deathstyle lifestyle. I'm not feeling the Dwayne McDuffie at DC treatment I would recieve while trying to convince BET execs that this worked for Marvel, DC, Spielberg and whole genres of special effects projects and should be obvious at this point.

Put your glow in the dark Punisher shirt on and kill every last remaining gangster that you see so that it cannot reboot itself again!

Gangsters are selfish sociopaths that occasionally pass out turkeys on Thanksgivings to poor people or donate their "BLOOD MONEY" to charities but when it comes to uplifting and upholding decent ideals they are useless and will desert you for their own self gratification.

If I was a billionaire I would buy out BET and make it literally rival Disney/Marvel/ESPN/Pixar with all that black talent from here to Africa!

I would burn scripts in front of idea submitters right there in my office and make them come up with way better ISH than that backwater stuck in suspended animation garbage of yesteryear until they rivaled Spielberg or James Cameron with better projects!

DO BLACK FOLKS DREAM BIG ANYMORE?

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:41:18 am »
BET shouldn't have let go of American Gangster. That was one of their top rated shows! It was let go for what? Yet another rerun of The Game? Sister Sister?

Come on now!!

You don't kill the golden goose!

USA Network, F/X, Oxygen are light years ahead of BET in terms of content. BET of 2009 is nothing but a wasteland of reruns of cancelled TV shows, knock off reality shows, a video program or two and replays of the same tired Black Movies (Soul Plane anyone?).

I refuse to believe that BET just wants to serve junk food instead of food for thought. Is originality dead at BET?  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:51:12 pm by Pantherfan »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:40:23 am »
As I understand it, the network is shifting its focus to older females - hence THE MONIQUE SHOW, FRANKIE AND NEFFIE, WENDY WILLIAMS and THE GAME.

However, AMERICAN GANGSTER was one of highest rated and most criticially lauded shows on the network, and inspired knockoffs on other channels. 

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 04:40:14 pm »
BET shouldn't have let go of American Gangster. That was one of their top rated shows! It was let go for what? Yet another rerun of The Game? Sister Sister?

Come on now!!

You don't kill the golden goose!

USA Network, F/X, Oxygen are light years ahead of BET in terms of content. BET of 2009 is nothing but a wasteland of reruns of cancelled TV shows, knock off reality shows, a video program or two and replays of the same tired Black Movies (Soul Plane anyone?).

I refuse to believe that BET just wants to serve junk food instead of food for thought. Is originality dead at BET?  

You've also noted the deafening silence from the mini-mart revolutionaries now that BET has become a halfway house for reruns and uninspired TV.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 08:08:21 pm »

Black gangstas have had their genre now it is time to for Black Bond Villains where a larger and more creative standard is achieved than the same old mundane Boyz in Da Hood routine.

WAIT... are you serious?

That lifestyle cost us Biggie, Tupac, Jam Master Jay, Scott La Rock, Tookie and even Suge Knight's once powerful business acumen to all that madness. Gangsterism only takes... it does not give back so good riddance!

Black folks can pack the concert hall to hear Gangsta Rap for hours on end but cannot come to conventions like SIGGRAPH to learn the latest software to create better graphics for our comics book characters, sci-fi movies and animation! I counted a total of seven brothas there (Yes I counted) and still we wonder why our production values as black folks are as low as our expectations!

Stop serving 2 masters and promote black super heroes from now on before your blessings are taken away from you and the Latino Super Hero Community takes our vacant spot.

This is why white fanboys mock us so much... bury that (c)rap and pretend as if it never existed!

If we made a legitimate effort to promote black super heroes without double minded hesitation then it will bring more potential creators and writers out of the woodwork and it would help fund our industry as it has done for Hollywood already.

I would love to submit my vast volume of characters to BET but not if all the funding and attention was focused on Gangsters and their deathstyle lifestyle. I'm not feeling the Dwayne McDuffie at DC treatment I would recieve while trying to convince BET execs that this worked for Marvel, DC, Spielberg and whole genres of special effects projects and should be obvious at this point.

Put your glow in the dark Punisher shirt on and kill every last remaining gangster that you see so that it cannot reboot itself again!

Gangsters are selfish sociopaths that occasionally pass out turkeys on Thanksgivings to poor people or donate their "BLOOD MONEY" to charities but when it comes to uplifting and upholding decent ideals they are useless and will desert you for their own self gratification.

If I was a billionaire I would buy out BET and make it literally rival Disney/Marvel/ESPN/Pixar with all that black talent from here to Africa!

I would burn scripts in front of idea submitters right there in my office and make them come up with way better ISH than that backwater stuck in suspended animation garbage of yesteryear until they rivaled Spielberg or James Cameron with better projects!

I dream for the end of people saying "the Obama era" like this politician is god or something or people didn't know how to act before him....and bring back American Gangster, it was great television.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 10:30:57 pm »
While Flex is wrong as usual 8), the Obama era phenomenon isn't.

Its not about us as your response indicates.

Anyone outside of their early 20's is carrying too much baggage to realize the full effect of the paradigm shift.

Talk to some Elementary and Middle School kids and you will literally feel the impact.

If President Obama gets 2 terms I can't even think of the impact.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:52:46 am »

WAIT... are you serious?

Y'know.....

I like to flatter myself into thinking that I am fairly bright.

But every time Flex gets on his “Black Super Hero” kick I will frankly affirm I have no idea what the heck he means;D

Next y’all will blame Gangsta Rap for the cancellation of A Man Called Hawk, M.A.N.T.I.S and Fourtune Dane.

If an idea does catch on with the general public either that idea itself was flawed or the execution of it was.

Am I going to blame Jay-Z when my pitch for a T.V. show fails?

Shoot, half of Reg’s plans for B.E.T. didn’t come to fruition. I’m fairly certain Memphis Bleek has little to do with it.

Or, did he?!?!?! :o

;D

There are bunch of scared nickle and dimers running things at B.E.T.

Period.

And as Jeff noted, as long as airing reruns of say, Living Single isn’t offending the Kente Krowd and its cheap why NOT do it if you are B.E.T.?

Its not that deep folks.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:18:22 pm by Vic Vega »

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 11:56:58 am »

He's killing me slowly

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 03:02:47 pm »

He's killing me slowly

Who?

President Obama or Flex or both? 8)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 03:52:48 pm »

He's killing me slowly

Who?

President Obama or Flex or both? 8)

Honestly both about right now ;) When I see Obama I think of one of those ESPN Classics fights with Ray Leonard in the corner and his Dundee  saying "you're f*cking it up son, you're f*cking it up".

Jenn

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 04:35:50 pm »
Y'know.....

I like to flatter myself into thinking that I am fairly bright.

But every time Flex gets on his “Black Super Hero” kick I will frankly affirm I have no idea what the heck he means;D

Just scroll. Otherwise, you get wrapped up in a web of WTF and before you know it, your head is getting bitten off.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 04:52:00 pm »
To sum things up...

We have 2 seasons of American Gangster and not one season of Black Panther yet!

I want more Panther and less Gangster!

I want all financial resources and working hands available diverted to black super heroes!