Author Topic: A Look At BET From A Former Insider  (Read 10708 times)

Offline Afro Samurai

• THE BLACK MAN IS GOD!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: A Look At BET From A Former Insider
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 09:36:35 pm »
@Mastrmynd

I know Bob Johnson don't care for us, b/c he wouldnt had sold it if he did. True at the million of music shows, but we did had that jazz program, BET New & Teen Summit with that big booty vixen Ananda Lewis (speaking of which there was extra hot woman hosting some music show r&b i think....I forgot her name).

BET was bad to begin with. It just gotten wayy worse with all the whiteness. You can't deny that it gotten more whitewash then b4. Providing positive entertainment solely for black ppl was the main goal for BET (even if Bob Johnson did lied about that, other ppl running it should had continue that goal). Bob Johnson & Viacom is at fault. Bob know how evil Viacom is and Viacom fault is for being racist & evil.

Sure "Somebodies", "Hey Monie", "Black Panther", "Hannibal the Conqueror" etc. was produced after BET was brought by viacom...but by then it was more whitewash then ever. And look what happen to those shows....both of them got canceled, BP aint even on there yet, Hannibal is i dont even know. Cause Viacom think we are just stupid monkeys only into eating fried chicken, watermelon being ignorant, violent & just listening to hip hop.   

You are right with BET should had been like TVOne. But, you honestly think with Viacom running it, it is going to get like that? Viacom is not our friend at all. If Hudlin was there when BET was Black owned "prolly" more original cool stuff would had been produced. In order for black corporations to be big like whites, we need to stop looking for short term greed. Cause white corps. rule most of the world's money (Cola Cola make 80% of their money outside of America). NBC rejected Bill Cosby's money TWICE to buy their channel. Cause they are scare we are going to take over. Just like with sports, musics, etc.

Alot of studios rejected the idea of Outkast's Idlewild cause these white executives thought that "blacks wouldnt want see a movie about black ppl in the 30's"....and this was right after the huge success of their "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below."

http://www.comicvine.com/news/san-diego-comic-con-2009-reggie-hudlin/138986/

Even in this interview she ask something like to Mr. Hudlin: "You still think that (black) kids of today would still be able to related to BP?" Now, she wouldn't DARE ask that question about a white character. B/c it would be look as a stupid one, since white can totally relates to powerful gods & black totally cant  ::).

I shown these 2 examples to make you realize that these white corps. really don't care about us. But then again, you & Hudlin are in hollywood. Y'all know about this racist bs more then me.

Sure, both Bob & Viacom are evil. But Viacom always been the greater evil & has more power. Also remember Bob is black, I am not gonna go all out on a fellow brotha. Bob sadly lost his way and I wish he can stop selling out.

@Reginald Hudlin

Sry. if you think I felt that the old BET was godly good, cause to me it wasnt. It just gotten worse with the all the whiteness. There better shows now then b4...but also gotten much more white. I dont want it to come to a point where it has good shows.......with hardly any blacks ppl in them. For that, I can watch the hundred of other channels. BET should had always stay F.U.B.U.

INTERRACIAL RELATIONSHIPS IS A SIN!!!!!! YOU'LL DIE QUICKER AND ALSO BURN IN HELL. THOSE ARE THE FACTS, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 08:05:15 am »
Providing positive entertainment solely for black ppl was the main goal for BET (even if Bob Johnson did lied about that, other ppl running it should had continue that goal).

It seems to me that BET serves as some kind of Rorschach test. I don't think positivity was ever a corporate goal. According to Bob Johnson in this 1995 article:
"We really haven't strayed that far from our primary mission," Johnson says, "which was to be the primary black media company in the country."

Whatever you think of BET, it has always been a for-profit business (although that's redundant) and never black PBS.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
A promotion
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 06:24:34 am »
Power overwhelming!
BET CEO Named to Presidential Advisory Board
I Am Lee-t!

President Barack Obama on Thursday announced the nomination of Debra L. Lee, chairman and CEO of BET Networks, a unit of Viacom, to serve on the Presidentís Management Advisory Board.

Would you like to know more?
http://www.bet.com/News/DebraLeeAdvisoryBoard

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: A promotion
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 08:54:38 am »
Power overwhelming!
BET CEO Named to Presidential Advisory Board
I Am Lee-t!

President Barack Obama on Thursday announced the nomination of Debra L. Lee, chairman and CEO of BET Networks, a unit of Viacom, to serve on the Presidentís Management Advisory Board.

Would you like to know more?
http://www.bet.com/News/DebraLeeAdvisoryBoard
I don't know if this is good news or bad news.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 05:23:41 pm »
I find in general people are nostalgic about whatever they liked in high school.  It could be music, TV shows, comic books, whatever.  Folks complain that BET/MTV isn't as good as it was back in the day.  Continuity hounds beef about changes in their favorite comic book character.  And of course, the constant complaint that the music that kids are listening to is garbage compared to my jams. 

My dad felt that except for Stevie Wonder, all music after Duke Ellington sucked.  If I grew up partying to music that rich, I might agree with him. 

There's no doubt in my mind comics today are the best that comics have ever been, and that the average comic is better drawn and written than any other era.

So sometimes things DO get better; sometimes things do get worse.  But some folks don't like change at all.

But I do believe that black people have to take responsibility for our lives.  We can't blame white people for all our failures, and claim our triumphs as solely ours. 

motto.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 06:39:56 pm »

There's no doubt in my mind comics today are the best that comics have ever been, and that the average comic is better drawn and written than any other era.

Absolutely not!

I can't even chalk this up to being subjective. The 80's by far are the Golden Age of the medium. There were better books across the board with much greater diversity than exists today.

Exhibit A

AMERICAN FLAGG
LOVE AND ROCKETS
GRENDEL
MAGE
JON SABLE
RONIN
V FOR VENDETTA
WATCHMEN
MIRACLEMAN
DARK KNIGHT RETURNS

I won't even get to the monthly greatness that was prevalent back then.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »
quality is subjective but I don't think you can make the case that the books then were more diverse. numerically it's simply not possible.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 09:58:57 pm »

Absolutely not!

I can't even chalk this up to being subjective. The 80's by far are the Golden Age of the medium. There were better books across the board with much greater diversity than exists today.

Exhibit A

AMERICAN FLAGG
LOVE AND ROCKETS
GRENDEL
MAGE
JON SABLE
RONIN
V FOR VENDETTA
WATCHMEN
MIRACLEMAN
DARK KNIGHT RETURNS

I won't even get to the monthly greatness that was prevalent back then.

You forgot to mention:

Alien Legion
Nexus
Dreadstar
Dalgoda
Kief Llama, Xenotech
Whisper
Groo The Wanderer
Elfquest (not my thing personally, but I know it was big)

There are probably more books being published now, but the quality aint there.

Even the 90's had those hipster coffee house soap operas like Private Beach, Wahoo Serious, Tales of The Coffeehouse  and ArtGirl to recommend them.

Other than the usual there isnt much to throw a party over these days.