Author Topic: James Cameron's Avatar  (Read 22525 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:26:42 am »
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/teaserlarge.html apple higher quality

lazy youtubers

The storys protagonist, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), is a former Marine who was wounded and paralyzed from the waist down in combat on Earth. Jake is selected to participate in the Avatar program, which will enable him to walk. Jake travels to Pandora, a lush jungle-covered extraterrestrial moon filled with incredible life forms, some beautiful, many terrifying. Pandora is also home to the Navi, a sentient humanoid race that are more physically capable than humans, although considered primitive. Standing three meters tall, with tails and sparkling blue skin, the Navi live in harmony with their unspoiled world. As humans encroach deeper into Pandora's forests in search of valuable minerals, the Navi unleash their formidable warrior abilities to defend their threatened existence.

Jake has unwittingly been recruited to become part of this encroachment. Since humans are unable to breathe the air on Pandora, they have created genetically-bred human-Navi hybrids known as Avatars. The Avatars are living, breathing bodies that are controlled by a human "driver" through a technology that links the driver's mind to their Avatar body. On Pandora, through his Avatar body, Jake can be whole once again. Sent deep into Pandora's jungles as a scout for the soldiers that will follow, Jake encounters many of Pandora's beauties and dangers. There he meets a young Navi female, Neytiri, whose beauty is only matched by her ferocity in battle. Over time, Jake integrates himself into Neytiri's clan, and begins to fall in love with her. As a result, Jake finds himself caught between the military-industrial forces of Earth, and the Navi, forcing him to choose sides in an epic battle that will decide the fate of an entire world. [D-Man2010]

Avatar is set during the 22nd century on a small moon called Pandora, which orbits a gas giant, and is inhabited by the tribal Na'vi, ten foot blue humanoids that are peaceful unless attacked. Humans cannot breathe Pandoran air, so they genetically engineer human/Na'vi hybrids known as Avatars that can be controlled via a mental link. A paralyzed Marine named Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) volunteers to exist as an Avatar on Pandora, falling in love with a Na'vi princess and becoming caught up in the conflict between her people and the human military that is consuming their world.

taken from IMDB...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:28:36 am by Marvelous »

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:46:08 am »
Been waiting on this for four years.

It's looking pretty damned awesome. Movies are about to be redefined again.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:25:17 pm »
The burden of knowledge.  Damn it, man, I can't read or watch anything anymore without seeing subtext.

I read that synopsis just now and the first thing that came to mind was "John Smith and Pocahontas" - not the Disney version, but the "Actually he probably raped her before killing off her people with disease" version.

So here, in this movie, we have another instance of white men infiltrating the native lands of a foreign race to steal their resources.  Seriously?

Oh, god, and if ONLY my ruminations ended there.  But no.

Then I considered the meaning of the word Avatar - "god in human form".  In this context, "God" would be the invaders, and the "humans" would the natives.  Superiority complex much?  Then apply this to the original "explorer" allegory, and you get...  :(

Manifest destiny, bringing God to these heathens...

And I'll bet this guy, as a show of his personal merit, rather than any broader realization of it all being just WRONG - will side with the poor native girl that he's fallen in love with and save the day?

You know, because the poor natives would be helpless to save themselves.

I'm projecting here, admittedly, but...damn it.  Damn it, damn it, damn it.  Is nothing safe from my cynicism??
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:35:05 pm by Godheval »
Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:14:25 pm »
So here, in this movie, we have another instance of white men infiltrating the native lands of a foreign race to steal their resources.  Seriously?

While the character is white, from everything I have seen in the trailer, I take this as mankind coming to this planet, not "white men."

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:03:33 pm »
Well of course.  I was speaking allegorically.  I'm sure they'll have "diverse" representatives from Earth.  Still, it is true even literally.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:57:14 am by Godheval »
Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:44:20 pm »
since my birthday's saturday, I may treat myself to the IMAX version.. hmm...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 01:47:36 pm »
I want to see Avatar this weekend but my mom actually wants to see it too, so I am waiting until I head up to Connecticut next week.  You always have to listen to mom :)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 01:34:54 am »

While the character is white, from everything I have seen in the trailer, I take this as mankind coming to this planet, not "white men."

From what I've seen of the trailers, most of the main human characters are white. I'm sure they will throw in a few black, brown, and yellows, but I got a feeling that humanity will be mainly represented by its white members, just like most other sci-fi films. And the Nav'i main characters are largely voiced by black actors from what I've read. So there will be a racial dynamic there. And this story appears to have some parallels to European colonization, just done up in a sci-fi setting.

Jenn

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 09:56:53 pm »
10 more minutes...YEEEEAH!!

But...2.40 hours? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 01:49:11 am »
Worth every minute!

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Jenn

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 11:39:35 am »
Decent film. Not NEARLY worth the hype. Typical sci-fi flick, just with great special effects. I will say, however, that it didn't feel like it was as long as it is.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:42:21 am by Jenn »

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:20:34 pm »
Decent film. Not NEARLY worth the hype. Typical sci-fi flick, just with great special effects. I will say, however, that it didn't feel like it was as long as it is.

Is this really the movie that will make 3-D work or would it have been better without it?

Jenn

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 12:45:04 pm »
3D will NEVER become mainstream for the simple reason that it either "works" for you or it doesn't. Either your eyes will adjust to it - giving you an incredible movie experience - or they won't, which will leave you with a pounding headache, slightly crossed eyes and a much lighter wallet. Additionally, your vision is affected by where you are sitting. Because I came in way too late for decent seats, I was sitting in an aisle seat, which kept causing my eyes to "wander" to the right side. This COMPLETELY screws up what you are seeing; no longer are you looking at 3D, but something that resembles a bad computer wallpaper. Turning your head or adjusting the glasses doesn't work - a HUGE problem since they were so large, they kept slipping off my face. (At one point, I was actually holding them to my face.) I walked out of the 3D film ($13.50!) and went to a regular theater to finish watching. Part of me wants to go back and view it in 3D, sitting in a proper seat, because it really was incredible. The other part of me says it's not worth the headache (literally!) or the eyestrain.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 05:31:54 pm »
I enjoyed the film, but I agree that it didn't live up to the hype. Cameron hasn't lost a step. This is his most epic sci-fi film, not his best sci-film, but with Avatar he really goes into world building in a way he has never done with any of his films. The FX are top notch for the most part though I thought some of the scenes with the scarred military dude in that mecha suit looked fake. What weakens this film is the largely predictable story. If you've seen Last of the Mohicans or Dances with Wolves, or other films where the usually white guy goes native, Avatar pretty much plays like that except it just replaces human natives with alien natives. It seems like the usually white guy is always found by the chief's daughter, who is already going with or bethrothed to a prick who of course can't stand the white guy. And the daughter falls for the usually white guy. I wish Cameron had been as visionary or daring with his story as he was with the FX.

Other random observations... action/battle scenes were really good, the military dude was a very good evil badass, the corporate guy wasn't as slimy as Burke from Aliens, Sigourney Weaver has been keeping in shape, Michelle Rodriguez was very cute, and I did feel the movie dragged a little in the middle.

Jenn

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 06:10:46 pm »
If you've seen Last of the Mohicans or Dances with Wolves, or other films where the usually white guy goes native, Avatar pretty much plays like that except it just replaces human natives with alien natives. It seems like the usually white guy is always found by the chief's daughter, who is already going with or bethrothed to a prick who of course can't stand the white guy. And the daughter falls for the usually white guy. I wish Cameron had been as visionary or daring with his story as he was with the FX.

Don't forget:

- the father who disapproves of the relationship, only to come around later...usually when he's dying.
- the soft-spoken but strong mother figure, who comes to accept the hero long before the father does
- The hero who will always, ALWAYS nearly die at the end and get rescued by some twist of fate.
- The betrothed prick who eventually grows to respect the hero (and vice versa) and then dies.
- A scrappy girl.
- The good-hearted sidekick w/nothing to lose except his/her life, because s/he is going to die.