Author Topic: Black Panther # 9 POWER, PART 3 Preview/Review  (Read 12824 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther # 9 POWER, PART 3 Preview/Review
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 09:55:34 am »
So T’Challa has super strength now?

He just flattened that robot.

It’ll be interesting to see if there are any side effects to that potion. You’d think there’d have to be. It is not like Zuvari is a trusted member of Wakandan society.

I mean they probably made ‘Ol boy live in near exile for a REASON. ;)

T’challa may want to rethink this some. ;D

I’m enjoying watching the political thriller play out and I am also enjoying seeing Shuri work with her support team. It’s a major departure from T’Challa who never told anybody what was doing to Shuri who has an Ops team backing her every play.

From reading this story I have to wonder if there is any such thing as a happy Wakandan. They always mad about something. ;D

I wonder if they bitched this much when T’Chaka was alive.

“Shuri is too inexperienced to be running the country!” “Where is Shuri? She needs to be here, running the country!” “We need experienced leadership!” “But not that outsider Storm or the Queen Mom’s old ass, though!” ;D

No WONDER T’Chaka commissioned a death squad. He must have gotten tired of all the beefing. ;D

Offline jonathanmaberry

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Maberry's Big Scary Blog
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »
Shuri and Ohyaku will have a 'final smackdown' in the next issue. Shuri gets to do some pretty cool moves in that issue as well.

As far as T'Challa being stronger...yes, he is.  But not insanely so. A bit above peak human. 

If you guys are plugged into Baltimore ComicCon --there will be some very cool news regarding our friends in Wakanda.
Jonathan Maberry
Multiple Bram Stoker Award winner
Author of PATIENT ZERO (St Martins Griffin), THEY BITE (Citadel Press), THE WOLFMAN (Tor) and DOOMWAR (Marvel Comics) 
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Maberry/803028269 
Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn

Offline jwoo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 09:41:51 pm »
Mr. Mayberry GREAT ISSUE! I will give you more props later. I am in a rush right now I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding TChalla new powers. When you say a bit above peak human for strength, so will he be considered superhuman strength? Like around 2-5 tons or so? Also will we get a full run down of his new powers and will he be featured in the The New Official Marvel Handbook under TChalla? Any hints on what to expect with new powers and what news will be released at BMore Comic CON? And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep his up grades no matter what.

A Loyal Panther Fan!

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 05:35:04 am »
I'm with you Jwoo. I think his powers should be will/spritual/chi based with limations.

2-5 tons is great...as well as speed and agility.

Offline jwoo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2009, 07:36:45 am »
Seven, I agree and you add a little magic with the SuperHuman Strength, Speed, Agility and then Doom better look out. I have to assume Tchalla will be using the old magic of Wakanda in order to stand up to Doom's new suped up powers.

Offline The Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2009, 12:26:02 pm »
I looking forward to reading this ish!

Regarding T'challa new power-set; I think it has been a long time coming. In my personal opinion he has always been beyond peak-human. I mean, a man who can body slam a charging Rhino with enough strenght to kill the animal; has to be a lot more stronger than peak-human.

I envision him being able to press at the least 5/6 tons (and with maximum effort perhaps a lot more). with enhanced senses, reflexes and incredible speed. I believe that in the past the PG gave the leader of the Panther cult slightly superhuman abilities to remind them that although they were gifted; that they were still human and not gods (We saw in the "Who Is The Black Panther" arc by Hudlin that some of the people of Wakanda think wrongly that T'challa is the PG).

This becomes redundant in this new Marvel age with beings like Sentry and the Beyonder and Doom running around! So now the God has given a little more juice to play with; I hope this change stays!

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2009, 02:13:53 pm »
I looking forward to reading this ish!

Regarding T'challa new power-set; I think it has been a long time coming. In my personal opinion he has always been beyond peak-human. I mean, a man who can body slam a charging Rhino with enough strenght to kill the animal; has to be a lot more stronger than peak-human.

I envision him being able to press at the least 5/6 tons (and with maximum effort perhaps a lot more). with enhanced senses, reflexes and incredible speed. I believe that in the past the PG gave the leader of the Panther cult slightly superhuman abilities to remind them that although they were gifted; that they were still human and not gods (We saw in the "Who Is The Black Panther" arc by Hudlin that some of the people of Wakanda think wrongly that T'challa is the PG).

This becomes redundant in this new Marvel age with beings like Sentry and the Beyonder and Doom running around! So now the God has given a little more juice to play with; I hope this change stays!

Here here...

Offline Dark Sun

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2009, 02:38:07 pm »
Really great issue. Can't wait for next month.

Personally, though, I was hoping his upgrades would be like quasi-mystical techniques (maybe similar to what the Immortal Weapons/champions of the seven cities (Kun-Lun) have displayed, only Wakandan-style) or or spiritual/chi powers or other such esoteric abilities instead of increased physical stats.

But still, great issue, loved the characterization and the art and everything.

Offline Shade

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2009, 03:20:53 pm »
Really great issue. Can't wait for next month.

Personally, though, I was hoping his upgrades would be like quasi-mystical techniques (maybe similar to what the Immortal Weapons/champions of the seven cities (Kun-Lun) have displayed, only Wakandan-style) or or spiritual/chi powers or other such esoteric abilities instead of increased physical stats.

But still, great issue, loved the characterization and the art and everything.

I have a feeling that T Challa becoming beyond peak human is not the whole upgrade. I'm sure there's more.
Kiss the sky!

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2009, 04:11:56 pm »
I hope some of these upgrades include T'Challa acting/moving more like a cat.

With Spider-Man, people expect him to move like a spider. And since T'Challa is a cat, he should move like one, so that people are constantly reminded that he is a panther.

It's too bad that Batman is known for that "quietly appearing and disappearing" thing when someone is talking to him, and then when they turn around he is gone...or when they turn around he is suddenly there.

Those tactics are perfect for T'Challa, the cat, the panther.

Feline flexibility
Feline balance
Feline speed
Feline pouncing
Feline stalking/hunting
Feline senses (extraordinary hearing, taste, sense of smell, sense of touch).
Feline reflexes
Feline agility...far superior to Spider-Man's (cat agility vs. spider "agility")
Feline aura/mystique (women are drawn to his animal magnetism, BUT he ONLY has eyes for Storm, his Queen).

Everything a cat/panther can do, T'Challa can do (on a more impressive level).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:18:32 pm by moneyspider »

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 02:43:42 am »
I hope some of these upgrades include T'Challa acting/moving more like a cat.

With Spider-Man, people expect him to move like a spider. And since T'Challa is a cat, he should move like one, so that people are constantly reminded that he is a panther.

It's too bad that Batman is known for that "quietly appearing and disappearing" thing when someone is talking to him, and then when they turn around he is gone...or when they turn around he is suddenly there.

Those tactics are perfect for T'Challa, the cat, the panther.

Feline flexibility
Feline balance
Feline speed
Feline pouncing
Feline stalking/hunting
Feline senses (extraordinary hearing, taste, sense of smell, sense of touch).
Feline reflexes
Feline agility...far superior to Spider-Man's (cat agility vs. spider "agility")
Feline aura/mystique (women are drawn to his animal magnetism, BUT he ONLY has eyes for Storm, his Queen).

Everything a cat/panther can do, T'Challa can do (on a more impressive level).

It would be cool if he had the power to turn into some were-cat like his MC2 counterpart the Coal Tiger.  I like to see him have control or summon Panthers. I heard that cats also have a psychic sense. How about nine lives like a cat?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 04:21:55 am »
I'm sorry but I don't like the idea of him turning into a were-cat. Old portrayals of Africans depicted as animalistic, savages would bother me. I don't mind him gaining new powers but they can keep him human, please.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 07:02:05 am »
re: Black Panther #9

A crafty issue! 

There are a number of panels that I really appreciated like the Wakandan private jet that lands in  Coney Island, Brooklyn on the side of the amusement park. I just wished there was at least one bystander that saw this!

...and the panel where the lone Wakandan sitting in his apartment reading the Daily Bugle and there's a headline that reads:
"FISCAL CRISIS WORSEN OVERSEAS"

...and if you look further down, there's another headline:
"IS SPIDER-MAN TO BLAME FOR ECONOMIC DISASTER?"
;D I just cracked up 'cause all the while I'm thinking, "Damn, JJJ is still  #$@(!! with Spidey?  He's an Avenger!"

I liked Storm's response  in the discussion panel about the criticism of Shuri's handling of business in America and Wakanda. I think I heard an American senator say something like this a month ago so it resonates.

You can tell the unmistakable difference between this writer and Hudlin, and I know Shuri is classy,  adorned  with royalty and everything but would Shuri really scream on someone  like,

"He's Rabbiting!"  ??

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 08:38:45 am »
New Black Panther writer Jonathan Maberry has already stated that T'Challa will NOT be turning into a were-cat/were-panther as part of his upgrades.

T'Challa should possess all of a cat/panther's powers without actually having to turn into one.

That type of "feline transformation" should be left to Tigra of the Avengers.

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2009, 10:33:55 am »
I'm sorry but I don't like the idea of him turning into a were-cat. Old portrayals of Africans depicted as animalistic, savages would bother me. I don't mind him gaining new powers but they can keep him human, please.

I never really viewed T'Challa turning into a were-cat as a reinforcement of an old stereotype about savages and animalism.

I do remember a story back in eighties where The Panther God possessed a normal person and had him transform into some were-cat.

To each his own.