Author Topic: The Cleveland Show. What does everyone think?  (Read 16662 times)

Offline Jay

• View Profile
Re: The Cleveland Show. What does everyone think?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 03:32:15 pm »
"King of the Hill is supposed to be funny?  I don't think I have EVER laughed at that show"

Bobby Hill is FUNNY, so is Peggy with her non Spanish speaking, big foot Spanish teacher ass. The best ones have Buck Strickland - Hank's boss at Strickland Propane or when Hank's dad Cotton comes to town.

King of the Hill is about RL situations and making fun of those things. The jokes aren't big and in your face. It's more of a subtle wit and humor that you actually have to be paying attention to to get.

For example, Bobbie was being picked on and he took a women's self-defense class and started kicking everybody in the groin.
Or hows about the time Bill wore a dress because he was upset about the time his wife left him.
Or hows about the time Hank was being drugged with Testosterone and was acting like a teenager.
Or hows about the time Bobbie got Gout?

Many fun episodes in King of the Hill.

As for Cleveland. Well it doesn't suck and I do like Rollo. But it does seem like a copy of Family Guy. I hate the fact that they made Cleveland Jr. a fat kid. He was a skinny hyper active kid. HYPER ACTIVE!!! and he seemed smarter when he was younger. How did he get to be a dumb fat kid?

The only one that's out of place is Meg I mean the hot teen chick ... what's her name. (See you know it's bad if you can't remember one of the characters name) lol
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 08:34:57 pm »
"King of the Hill is supposed to be funny?  I don't think I have EVER laughed at that show"

Bobby Hill is FUNNY, so is Peggy with her non Spanish speaking, big foot Spanish teacher ass. The best ones have Buck Strickland - Hank's boss at Strickland Propane or when Hank's dad Cotton comes to town.

King of the Hill is about RL situations and making fun of those things. The jokes aren't big and in your face. It's more of a subtle wit and humor that you actually have to be paying attention to to get.

For example, Bobbie was being picked on and he took a women's self-defense class and started kicking everybody in the groin.
Or hows about the time Bill wore a dress because he was upset about the time his wife left him.
Or hows about the time Hank was being drugged with Testosterone and was acting like a teenager.

As for Cleveland. Well it doesn't suck and I do like Rollo. But it does seem like a copy of Family Guy. I hate the fact that they made Cleveland Jr. a fat kid. He was a skinny hyper active kid. HYPER ACTIVE!!! and he seemed smarter when he was younger. How did he get to be a dumb fat kid?

The only one that's out of place is Meg I mean the hot teen chick ... what's her name. (See you know it's bad if you can't remember one of the characters name) lol

what?
King of the hill NOT FUNNY?
seriously?

the problem is that King of the Hill isn't a cartoon...it's an Animated Sitcom.
real talk.
that's how i see it.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 08:59:56 pm »

what?
King of the hill NOT FUNNY?
seriously?

the problem is that King of the Hill isn't a cartoon...it's an Animated Sitcom.
real talk.
that's how i see it.

Animated = Cartoon.

It's thinking like that that keeps Comics/cartoon from being a really respected media because we type cast it as off the wall or for children.

I think people should expand there definition of what a cartoon can be. You can have cartoons for kids, teens and adults. That's the system they have in Japan.
"You're gonna go out, and look, for, a job. The word today is...'job'. Jay Oh Bee...y'hear me?"

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 05:31:47 am »
i hear you, Jay!
it's the same thing for comic books.
comics = kiddie books.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:55 am »
I like the Cleveland Show. I don't think its as manically funny as Family Guy, but its more plot driven than Family Guy.

American Dad relies purely on plot driven humor and not gags, so The Cleveland Show is dead in the middle of that spectrum.

King Of The Hall was a great show about folks that I'd normally have no interest in whatsoever.

Unlike many live-action comedies there was a strong element of pathos to it. 

Hank's son got to the point where he was actually GOOD at something (comedy/entertaining) but Hank just couldn't see it. He was doing the same ish that his father did to him (not quite as mean tho) but didn't even know it.   

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 08:31:45 am »
You know, nobody has talked about South Park yet. Last season, I think.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 12:35:42 pm »
"King of the Hill is supposed to be funny?  I don't think I have EVER laughed at that show"

Except he's not dumb, he's naive about a lot of things. There is a difference. Chris from Family Guy is dumb, Cleveland Jr. isn't. Examples are when Cleveland thought up a clever way to keep Roberta from having sex by having all the girls in church promise not to do it before marriage, and Junior raised his hand. Or when Cleveland was stroking Junior's cheek and commented why haven't you told me to stop by now? He's smart and has state of mind, case in point when Federline slapped him and he said "I may be a nerd but if you ever do that again I'll kill you."

Roberta. She and Meg have nothing in common besides gender. Actually, Cleveland Jr is the most like Meg in that Cleveland continuously expresses disappointment toward him. Cleveland's relationship with Roberta is one where he's trying hard, perhaps too hard, to find common ground, and to get her to respect and mind him. Different from Peter and Meg's relationship (if you can call it that, he seems to hate her and want her dead) and Frank and Hayley's, which is merely a thinly veiled republican vs democrate "war" which has calmed down over the years.

A cursory look at the show would make one think its a copycat, since everyone looks similar to the main characters from Family Guy to a degree, but actually watching the show you'd see the differences.

"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 03:29:00 pm »
Nope. Sorry! You didn't convince me.   :P

He also tried to give birth to a fish he ate and he believe he could too.
Believes in Santa Claus.
That's taking Navie way too far.  AND HE'S 14!!! FOUR-TEEN!! LOL

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2010, 08:38:07 am »

Likewise, you didn't convince me that you've done more than a cursory look at the show.  :P But then again I thought we were having a discussion, not trying to change each other's mind.

He also tried to give birth to a fish he ate and he believe he could too.
Believes in Santa Claus.

You can remember all this, but can't remember Roberta's name? At least you're looking at this objectively...

And? Some folks remain naive for the rest of their lives.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2010, 09:03:32 am »
well stated BPStorm.
i dont know what else can be said...

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2010, 09:38:08 am »

I haven't cared about South Park in a while now. I loved  the movie but even as a watched it I knew it was the beginning of the end. They could never top it. Every body else's show is better animated and at worst just as funny. Boondocks is far better animated and is funnier. Matt and Trey had male puppets simulate oral sex in Team America and nobody cared.

The funniest thing about Matt and Trey now is thier viseral hatred for Scott McFarland in the face of his continued, massive sucess.

Dude is doing a variety show in a tux on network T.V. and they are somewhere screaming "asshole".

I'm laughing at them now, not with them. ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2010, 10:46:34 am »

I haven't cared about South Park in a while now. I loved  the movie but even as a watched it I knew it was the beginning of the end. They could never top it. Every body else's show is better animated and at worst just as funny. Boondocks is far better animated and is funnier. Matt and Trey had male puppets simulate oral sex in Team America and nobody cared.

The funniest thing about Matt and Trey now is thier viseral hatred for Scott McFarland in the face of his continued, massive sucess.

F'real...

I dunno why Matt and Trey or any of those cable  and TV animators would be complaining about anything.  They've  all had good, long runs on the air.
South Park Celebrates 14 Years Of Fart Jokes
Check out this radio interview of Matt & Trey from last week...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124052961

There have been big screen adaptations of  Spongebob Squarepants, South Park, The Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, etc, etc…  All I wanna know is… are we gonna see a good, long run on television of The Boondocks then a celebrated big screen version in the movies?

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2010, 04:27:14 pm »

Likewise, you didn't convince me that you've done more than a cursory look at the show.  :P But then again I thought we were having a discussion, not trying to change each other's mind.

Yeah, it's a discussion. No need to change each other's minds. Navie Stupid. Meh, I could careless about such subtles

You can remember all this, but can't remember Roberta's name? At least you're looking at this objectively...

I remember INTERESTING characters.  8)

I think she has a nice fat @$$ :o
About the only thing interesting about her. However I'm real and she's not. Plus she's underage! Gosh, I'm one sick bastard  :-X

Besides, I'm naturally bad with names.  ;)

And? Some folks remain naive for the rest of their lives.

hmmm ... you just might have a point! So the question I have to ask

is George Bush/Sarah Palin Naive or dumb?  ???

I's gots to know  :)

Offline mayday

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 02:43:15 pm »
Okay...we are DEEP into the Cleveland show season and I am STILL not impressed. Anybody finding it half as good as family guy or even American Dad ???

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 05:24:18 am »
you didnt like the kanye west episode?
lol