Author Topic: The Cleveland Show. What does everyone think?  (Read 12423 times)

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
The Cleveland Show. What does everyone think?
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:32:07 am »
I watched The Cleveland Show yesterday and I wasn't impressed with it. I know it was the pilot episode and they had twenty two minutes to introduce the characters and premise but I thought it was plain and uninspiring.

I thought The Cleveland Show would be vastly different from Family Guy but instead comes off as a second rate version of that show minus the laughs. I don't like how the made Cleveland Jr into a fat kid and I think the talking animal thing is overdone.

The only character with potential is Rollo. The others are so-so. Other than that for a black cartoon it's a bit whitewashed. The writers should've either read up on black culture or hired some black writers.

I'm sorry but for the montage with Cleveland his new wife they should've used "Reunited" and not "How Deep is Your Love."

Offline isaiah_bradley

• View Profile
Re: The Cleveland Show. What does everyone think?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:40:16 am »
black writer's on a white run show. , dream on homeboy. but i enjoyedn the show.

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:22:58 am »
black writer's on a white run show. , dream on homeboy. but i enjoyedn the show.

It happened before. Good Times had Black Writers.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 02:49:07 pm »
<<I thought The Cleveland Show would be vastly different from Family Guy but instead comes off as a second rate version of that show minus the laughs.>>

Family guy has laughs?

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:40:27 pm »
they edited the ending part of the theme. "my happy black guy face" was edited out
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:53:48 pm »
I thought it was ok...could been better, but didn't suck IMO.. Looking foward to the next episode.
Pull List

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 12:49:37 am »
It was aiight ;) Ralo and Cleveland jr. made me laugh. I found it to be more funny than King of the Hill.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 07:47:53 am »
King of the Hill is supposed to be funny?  I don't think I have EVER laughed at that show.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:52:07 am »
Someone posted on YouTube  4:07 of the 1st episode of The Cleveland Show. 
It's damn funny and follows in the same quick-fire, outrageous,  obscure comedic reference style of the Family Guy TV show. 

I don't know how it ends but it's seems that a classic start for a TV spin-off is to have Cleveland  go through a divorce in order to move out of the neighborhood.   Hm. :-\
Of course, there's the Griffin family cameo and the rest of the neighborhood where you'll see Peter's wife honor Cleveland with one last request along with a bottle of Champagne.

The baby drops the funniest quip,
Stewey: "Good-bye chocolate people!"

King of the Hill is supposed to be funny?  I don't think I have EVER laughed at that show

Believe it or not, King of the Hill is actually quite funny.  I believe it's a spin-off from Beavis & Butthead. Too bad the series ends for good, this year.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:56:46 am »
King of the Hill is supposed to be funny?  I don't think I have EVER laughed at that show.

Really? I loved that show.  I never felt that it got any respect, being shuffled around the schedule.  I think that is what ultimately led to its cancellation.   It was almost as if it wasn't a cartoon.  The fact that is was rooted more in reality than most other cartoons made the situations pretty funny to me.  I'm not a fan of any of that Family Guy/American Dad/Cleveland Show stuff.

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 02:09:17 pm »
I guess I was watching a completely different show from the rest of you but I just didn't see no humor in this show. I'll watch the next episode to see if there are any improvements but if the show just remains a Family Guy ripoff I'm tuning out for good.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 02:41:15 pm »
Man it is only the first episode. Why are you expecting something so epic at the begining? So far it is okay the show just need to get its feet wet. It is not like the McFarlene shell out crap to begin with. Every show he touches/creates is gold.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 02:56:59 pm »

I saw the show twice on Fox and it wasn't funny. Now it's coming on cartoon network and I still don't find it funny at all.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 03:00:01 am »
I loved King of the Hill and the Cleveland Show is going to have to undergo vast improvements if he wants to reach KOH's level. The pilot wasn't that good, but it took the American Dad show a while to find its legs too. So, I'm giving Cleveland a couple more chances to rope me in.

I think part of the problem is that Cleveland is the straight man to a lot of the craziness on Family Guy and its going to be hard building a show around him, unless its populated with more crazy people for him to play off of. He doesn't work as the off the wall guy to me. The cast seems like rip-offs of Family Guy. I wish they had tried to switch it up a little bit more than they did. They even made Cleveland Jr. fat to fit the Chris Griffin slot, it seemed. In earlier FG episodes, CJ was very slim. I guess he picked up the pounds over the years, but it just felt like an arbitrary 'creative' decision to me. I think the supporting cast for the Cleveland show is too weak, and too whitewashed. So, now all his friends will be white, except for the bear? And one of them a redneck to boot? Part of the problem is having only white writers. I read that McFarlane said he would rely on the black cast to make sure that things are not too culturally insensitive, but I wonder how much influence those cast members would really have.

It would be great if the writers had the capability to really explore/send up black pop culture like they have done with white pop culture on Family Guy, but I don't think that's going to happen. Or its going to come across as a white person's interpretation of what black people are like.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:02:24 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 07:15:48 am »
It would be great if the writers had the capability to really explore/send up black pop culture like they have done with white pop culture on Family Guy, but I don't think that's going to happen. Or its going to come across as a white person's interpretation of what black people are like.

I agree 100%!

The Cleveland Show needs a black writer's perspective of the characters.