Author Topic: Sophia Stewart: Mother Of The Matrix  (Read 15291 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Sophia Stewart: Mother Of The Matrix
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:00:54 pm »
I just heard about this on a cable access show of all places.

Move over Grant Morrison, somebody else is laying claim to THE MATRIX! 8)

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
Re: Sophia Stewart: Mother Of The Matrix
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:58:56 am »
All I'm saying is...

There were a whole lot of black references in those movies if you dug deep enough!

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:15:06 pm »
I've heard this kind of thing for YEARS,now. Reggie? Whatcha think?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:24:33 pm »
I heard about this exact case years ago.  I still don't know what to think.  At the time the story first broke, you couldn't find any news coverage of it anywhere, except for one obscure community college newspaper in Stewart's hometown.  For me, this didn't suggest any lack of credibility on Stewart's part, but either a disinterest in the story, or conversely, an interest in keeping the story buried.

There were rumors that the issue was settled out of court, but I can't find any evidence on the matter.

I think this may have been a case of unintentional theft (giving Hollywood the rare benefit of the doubt) - a situation where someone read Stewart's submission, dismissed it and forgot about it, then years later had a "Eureka" moment, a great new idea about a futuristic sci-fi story.  Except they forgot that it was someone else's idea.

The same thing happened with a guy in France who wrote a book called Pierrot Le Poisson Clown in 1995, only to see virtually the exact concept presented by Disney (who he had submitted the idea to) in Finding Nemo, only with some minor details switched around.  The guy sued Disney and lost, and some booksellers even removed his book from their shelves for being too close a copy of Finding Nemo!

I think this kind of thing happens all the time.

I can also picture a bunch of fat and happy Hollywood execs sitting in a room, sharing a private joke about the old adage "Talent imitates, genius steals".

Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:24:24 am »
Man this thing been around for years.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:48:54 am »
When I read her statement, she claimed to have created the concepts for the Matrix, the Terminator movies and some other big franchises.  And she claimed to have won, but someone this trial was never reported in any newspaper or Hollywood trade.

Riiiight.

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 12:01:07 pm »
When I read her statement, she claimed to have created the concepts for the Matrix, the Terminator movies and some other big franchises.  And she claimed to have won, but someone this trial was never reported in any newspaper or Hollywood trade.

Riiiight.

As I said, it could've just been a matter of the story being buried.  Companies/individuals go to great lengths for image advocacy, so spending networking or actual capital to prevent the story from being widely publicized for the sake of Silver/Wachowski/Warner Brothers' image doesn't strike me as unlikely.

Still, I'm a bit skeptical too.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:51:21 pm »

Riiiight.

I see that Stewart actually claims that the The Terminator and The Matrix are one grand epic displayed in her book THE THIRD EYE.

Connor is Neo and Neo sends the Terminator back to kill Connor.

Stewart has my dollars for that THIRD EYE book now.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 05:59:36 pm »
Has anyone read her book?  Does it actually resemble either of those two movie franchises?  Was it published before both those films came out?

Considering that THE TERMINATOR has successfully been sued by another author, did her book come out before that one?

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:15:54 pm »
Has anyone read her book?  Does it actually resemble either of those two movie franchises?  Was it published before both those films came out?

Considering that THE TERMINATOR has successfully been sued by another author, did her book come out before that one?

I haven't read THE THIRD EYE but I do know that Harlan Ellison, master of sci-fi and the lawsuit ;D did win his case against THE TERMINATOR film as he claimed it was based on his story "Demon With A Glass Hand".

"Demon With A Glass Hand" came out in 65 so that is long before THE THIRD EYE and the manuscript sent to the Wachowski brothers in 85 or 86 by Stewart.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 11:30:47 pm »
So if Harlan Ellison won his case, then it was because he proved that it was read by the creators of the film and it influenced them. 

And see, no worldwide conspiracy to silence the truth.

Could Harlan sue this woman for stealing from his story?  Since it has elements that are similar to Terminator, and Harlan's book came out before hers?

I've been on both sides of this. I've been accused of stealing ideas, and I have accused others of stealing my ideas. 

I never went to trial because I know even the oddest ideas are not as uncommon as you might think.

Why people believe that that no organ of the press would print this story because of a worldwide conspiracy is crazy. 

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 01:50:15 pm »
So if Harlan Ellison won his case, then it was because he proved that it was read by the creators of the film and it influenced them. 

And see, no worldwide conspiracy to silence the truth.

Could Harlan sue this woman for stealing from his story?  Since it has elements that are similar to Terminator, and Harlan's book came out before hers?

I've been on both sides of this. I've been accused of stealing ideas, and I have accused others of stealing my ideas. 

I never went to trial because I know even the oddest ideas are not as uncommon as you might think.

Why people believe that that no organ of the press would print this story because of a worldwide conspiracy is crazy. 

This is an outsider talking to an insider so I defer to your expertise but this is what I gather after listening to an interview with Stewart.

Stewart knew about the terms of Ellison's victory and his claim as that was the impetus for her to investigate further. Ellison signed the standard gag order but she states the amount was a 200,000 dollar settlement.

They used the settlement as a basis to negotiate with her but she demanded credit as well as cash. The same scenario took place with The MATRIX and she said she was ready to take a smaller amount to settle until people who worked on the film told her to fight as they know her script was used.

As a side note, Grant Morrison makes a similar claim about his work being sourced directly by the Wachowski brothers as told to him by those who worked on The Matrix.

The attribution to both Morrison and Stewart ceased once she filed the second suit.

I don't know what happened but there seems to be something there. The THIRD EYE will say alot about this.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:34 pm »
I have yet to see a single source about this beyond Ms. Stewart.  I see articles that are basically her press releases making fantastic claims, but no other evidence from any other source.  No court documents on Smoking Gun, nothing.

Americans love conspiracies.  I love them myself.  We all love underdog stories. But this passes no smell test. I mean, how do we know so much information about the Kennedy assasination but somehow this secret is completely on lockdown? 

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 04:15:05 pm »
Agent Smith: "Eve-ning Mi-ster Hudlin. I am agent Smith. You are now being plugged back into The Ma-trix!"

Morpheus: "Reggie, you are the one!"

The Oracle: "No he aint!"

Trinity: "He has to be. I love him."

The Architect: "Let me explain this carefully so that people are not stuck in some vacuum of confusion somewhere between the middle part of the first sequel."

Reggie: "Stop that you TROLL!"

Bluezulu: "I got this Reggie!"

Flex Hectic: "Please don't lock the thread Master Moderator. I be a good poster from now on I promise! I gets right back in The Matrix cause I wants no trouble sir!"

TROLLing... It's not just a job it's a disease!

(Takes medication and puts back on breakaway straight jacket)

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 10:34:18 am »
Agent Smith: "Eve-ning Mi-ster Hudlin. I am agent Smith. You are now being plugged back into The Ma-trix!"

Morpheus: "Reggie, you are the one!"

The Oracle: "No he aint!"

Trinity: "He has to be. I love him."

The Architect: "Let me explain this carefully so that people are not stuck in some vacuum of confusion somewhere between the middle part of the first sequel."

Reggie: "Stop that you TROLL!"

Bluezulu: "I got this Reggie!"

Flex Hectic: "Please don't lock the thread Master Moderator. I be a good poster from now on I promise! I gets right back in The Matrix cause I wants no trouble sir!"

TROLLing... It's not just a job it's a disease!

(Takes medication and puts back on breakaway straight jacket)

Seriously?

Jesus Christ.