Author Topic: GOOD HAIR review  (Read 5145 times)

Jenn

Re: GOOD HAIR review
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 12:12:00 pm »
Interesting how nobody will answer my question.

does Chris talk about the pressure that WHITE AMERICA puts on women of color, especially in the work place? Or is it more of "ha ha ha look at those silly black bitches and their weave!"

*whistles the Jeopardy! theme*

Offline BarbaraB

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 12:41:37 pm »

Washington Post
If the audience misses anything in Good Hair, it might be more testimony from African American women who have let their hair grow naturally

Wow, that's disappointing. I was thinking that it would have a nice share of that.

does Chris talk about the pressure that WHITE AMERICA puts on women of color, especially in the work place? Or is it more of "ha ha ha look at those silly black bitches and their weave!"

I'm curious too. I thought this would be a film about the beauty standard, and many black women's futile attempts to conform to it.  At least that's what I got from Chris Rock's story about his little daughter. Does he come to any conclusions at the end besides "black hair is good business?"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:43:16 pm by BarbaraB »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 07:33:34 pm »

It talks about something more important - the pressure black people put on EACH OTHER to look a certain way.  When a group of teenage girls say they would not hire their friend because her natural hair means she's not serious about success, then that's a hundred times more devestating that once again blaming the white man. 

The movie documents how straightening your hair will damage you physically, financially, emotionally....it's brutal, but not preachy.  That makes it effective.  I've seen it with two different audiences and spurs discussion that will hopefully lead to black folks letting that bullsh*t go.  I remember when Spike Lee made the jheri-curl joke in the end credits of SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT;  that was the beginning of the end of that bullsh*t.  Hopefully this film can do the same.

Jenn

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 07:34:48 pm »
It talks about something more important

In other words, NO.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 07:44:07 pm »
I love people who debate confidently without knowing what they are talking about. 

I'm not here to convince you Jenn.  You've in full hater mode, have fun.

Jenn

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 08:12:19 pm »
I love people who debate confidently without knowing what they are talking about. 

A debate requires a minimum of two people with opposing viewpoints.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 03:29:28 am »
I have dreads and most of my girlfriends have their natural hair in either locks, twists or braids. So we decided to pass on this one.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 07:03:53 am »
It talks about something more important

In other words, NO.
Prolly doesn't cover the effect of hair products on global warming either...  :o
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Jenn

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 07:54:13 am »
I have dreads and most of my girlfriends have their natural hair in either locks, twists or braids. So we decided to pass on this one.

I think I'm with you. Everything in me says to go, but my heart just isn't in this. And "just watch/read it anyway" has become such a mantra here at HEF that I feel like screaming. Hell, I could write a review for this flick right now if I felt like it and be as spot on as I'll be two weeks from now. When white people are chastising you for not delving deep enough into the issues...I mean, geez! Fortunately, Chris' audience will be overwhelmingly black, and it's not like we watch movies for silly things like accuracy or depth. That's whitepeoplesh*t!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 09:21:12 am »
I think I'm with you. Everything in me says to go, but my heart just isn't in this. And "just watch/read it anyway" has become such a mantra here at HEF that I feel like screaming.
FWIW, I don't think you should go. Unless you want to. It will be on DVD, etc. soon enough. It's entertainment. If you don't think you'll be entertained, don't go.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 02:56:43 pm »
...once again blaming the white man.  

I'm sorry, but this line is such a cop out.  Acknowledging the wide and varying effects of discrimination, including having everything you do be measured against a certain standard (i.e. the "white standard") is not the same thing as casting blame.  However, it IS likely white men who make the decisions daily on which images they'll use for marketing (and this is just business, albeit business predicated on the assumption that their target audience is at least somewhat racist), in effect determining the American beauty standard.

...will hopefully lead to black folks letting that bullsh*t go.  I remember when Spike Lee made the jheri-curl joke in the end credits of SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT;  that was the beginning of the end of that bullsh*t.  Hopefully this film can do the same.

Purely out of curiosity, Reggie, does your wife let her hair grow out naturally?  My girlfriend, BarbaraB just started doing it in February, and I have to honestly say that I like it better than when she permed it.  Contrary to what SHE thinks, it does NOT look like a sheep's ass.

Also, it is very easy for a man - like Chris Rock - to ridicule African-American women, or others - perhaps like you Reggie? - to take the beauty standard for granted, since it doesn't affect us to the same degree.  To whatever extent black men are allowed within the general standard, they are allowed to maintain their natural hair.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:01:55 pm by Godheval »
Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 04:04:00 pm »
30 years ago, black people decided that wearing their own hair was beautiful. We expressed our own aesthetic in such a powerful way that even some white people started rockin' 'fros.  So I don't want to hear about what the white people did.  Black people put their mental chains BACK on and decided that natural hair on a black woman was wack and straight hair by any means necessary was good.  Why can't we accept responsibility for sh*t? 

I also agree with Chris that it's black women making these choices.  When it comes to judging a woman, hair is way down on the list for men.  Her body, her face, yes even her personality are more important....guys are not passing on Amber Rose because she has practically no hair.

Conversely, an unattractive woman may say men (or black men) aren't attracted to her because she has natural hair, but that may not be the most honest answer. 

I don't think the film is there to supply the answer...it's there to frame the discussion so the conversation in the culture will generate the next (hopefully positive) step. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ol' School Media
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 04:10:17 pm »
I'm reading an article on page 55 written by Jenee Desmon-Harris in the September 7th TIME magazine, Why Michelle's Hair Matters. She remarks:

"The choice many black women make to alter their hair's natural texture has undeniable historical and psychological underpinnings.  It has been attributed to everything from a history of oppression and assimilation to media-influenced notions of beauty and simple personal aesthetics. But one thing is for certain. For the many who wear straightened styles like Michelle's, the decision is deliberate, and the maintainance is significant. A stylist hypothesized in the Inquirer article about the steps taken to attain her look, and a firestorm of online comments followed, including these two:

1st Comment:
"Chemicals, hot comb, round brush and dryer...  same effect, different methods.  I could see it being a big deal or inspirational if she were natural and wore it in natural styles."

2nd comment:
"Girl, ain't no braids, twists, afros, etc. getting into the White House just yet... LOL."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:38:41 pm by Battle »

Jenn

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 04:53:26 pm »
Purely out of curiosity, Reggie, does your wife let her hair grow out naturally?

I was actually wondering the same thing about Chris's wife. I mean, you wonder where your daughter got the idea from? How about her mother?

Black people put their mental chains BACK on and decided that natural hair on a black woman was wack and straight hair by any means necessary was good.

Gee, I wonder where that idea came from. People act like black people just woke up in the crack post black-is-beautiful era.

I also agree with Chris that it's black women making these choices.  When it comes to judging a woman, hair is way down on the list for men.  Her body, her face, yes even her personality are more important....guys are not passing on Amber Rose because she has practically no hair.

And this is why I can't be bothered with this film. That is such a blatant lie that anything other than the most vicious of mocking - preferably of the pointing-and-laughing-in-a-circle type - isn't strong enough.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:03:53 pm by Jenn »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 12:00:48 pm »

Gee, I wonder where that idea came from. People act like black people just woke up in the crack post black-is-beautiful era.

Who’s to blame? Prince? The Jacksons? Lisa Bonet? ;D

I do know the eighties is where the natural died for Black folk who had money, if T.V. was anything to judge by(and if Bill Cosby had wanted any of his fictional brood to rock naturals they would have).

I do affirm that females are more unforgiving judges of other females that any man could be.