Author Topic: GOOD HAIR review  (Read 5147 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
GOOD HAIR review
« on: October 03, 2009, 08:37:13 pm »
GOOD HAIR review

I donít normally review stuff, because I donít want to put down project by dear friends, or alienate someone I might need something from in the future.  But sometimes a project must be spoken on.  In my world, there are Must Sees; Should Sees, Could Sees and Donít Sees.  GOOD HAIR is a Must See.

GOOD HAIR is not just a tremendously entertaining film, itís an Important Film.  Usually Important Films are ponderous and dry, but this film is anything but.  Thatís because itís also the first time that Chris Rockís comedic sensibility has be successfully translated to film.  Sure, heís starred, written, produced, even directed movies before, but this is the first true CHRIS ROCK movie; the Chris Rock that you love in his stand up specials BRING THE PAIN and BIGGER AND BLACKER; the Chris Rock you loved to see interview Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on his HBO talk show; the Chris Rock who inherited the role of Americaís social critic from Dick Gregory and Richard Pryor.

It was inevitable that someone would do a ďblack Michael Moore movieĒ.  We should all be glad it was Chris Rock.  His comedic style is built for this kind of essay, and through a seemingly mundane subject he explores identity, self-hate, the global economy and much more.  Itís also a love letter to black people, and black women in general.  He doesnít preach a solution, as much as we long to hear one, but thatís on us. 

Some might say itís tragic that Chris Rock is the leading black intellectual of our generation.  You could focus on the failure of all those folks with PhDs to match his insights and ability to communicate subtle nuances to the public, or you can applaud that a guy with a GED can articulate class and gender issues with such aplomb.  In any case, Chris Rock is the Man and GOOD HAIR is the movie.  Special shout out to GOOD HAIR producer Nelson George, who has been one of Chrisí mentors for decades and having one hell of a career run of his own right now.  Nelson has been one of the key members of Chrisí team for a while, and his presence is felt throughout the project. 

GOOD HAIR Ė itís a Must See, so go see it.  And tell me what you think.

Offline BarbaraB

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: GOOD HAIR review
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:23:38 pm »
I can't wait.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:25:49 am »
Planning to make a Girls night of it when in opens in ATL on Friday!

Thanx for the endorsement, Reg!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Online jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 04:45:15 pm »
I'm going to be very interested in the opening weekend of this film.

The usual suspects are always ready to criticize; I hope they show up and put their money where their loudmouths are.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:56:24 am »
HA!

Good Hair opens this weekend in ATL suburbs with predominantly white populations.
Not ONE cinema inside the Perimeter screens this weekend!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ol' School Media
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 06:30:35 am »
Go Chris!

Chris Rock is one of my entertainment heroes that can make lemonade out of rotten tomatoes!

Offline BarbaraB

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 03:35:19 pm »
Its not playing in the entire state of f'ing AZ.  :'(

Online jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 03:41:35 pm »
Its not playing in the entire state of f'ing AZ.  :'(

I'm so sorry, Barbara.

Now if you'll excuse me; I have to go over the PLETHORA of theaters showing GOOD HAIR here in Brooklyn and decide which one I'll go to. 8)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:23 pm »
More than a dozen of us sista friends, representing three generations, three ethnicities and three continents descended upon a packed cinema to giggle in this movie.  What a treat!  
The docu-comedy was more insightful than any of us expected!
Some of us are on the creamy crack, (one in rehab) one wears the lace-front wig and there was one weave.  Most of us sport tresses in different grades of sometimes greying natural.  (Dreds, braids, curly fro, Angela Davis fro and general naps)
We debriefed at an area cantina over sushi and sake where the tragic/comical hair stories ensued.  Our laughter infected neighboring tables of people who had not even seen the movie, allowing them to join in the festive discussion!

Having never partaken in weavonomics/weavonometrix/weavonics or any other such weavology, I learned that the weave is not to be handled.  More importantly, men around the cantina were unanimous in knowing not to touch a Black woman's hair.  EVER!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 03:45:09 pm by Magic Wand »

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 12:05:09 pm »
I knew the movie would cause spontaneous church sessions.  Sounds like you had one.

Jenn

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 06:13:44 pm »
Its not playing in the entire state of f'ing AZ.  :'(

It's only playing in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta and DC for now. Worldwide release isn't until the end of the month.

I'm ambivalent to this film. What I've seen so far has left me rolling my eyes and reminding myself that Chris Rock isn't exactly a champion for black women. (Ask Michelle Obama.) And the Oprah interview left me cold. I'll catch it, but it's not exactly a must-see for me. I don't know any women like the ones in the film, and I went to a black college. Are some of them on that creamy crack? Sure. Do they blow thousands of dollars on a single weave job? No. And does Chris talk about the pressure that WHITE AMERICA puts on women of color, especially in the work place? Or is it more of "ha ha ha look at those silly black bitches and their weave!"

As for not being able to put your hands in a black woman's hair - fukk you, Chris. You can pull my hair any time you want to, but we BOTH know you wouldn't want to put your hands all up and through my nappy sh*t - and if your wife took her weave out tonight, you'd sh*t yourself with rage. So maybe a reason why all these black women are going crazy over hair is because of YOU, Chris, and the rest of the brothas.

But I'm sure that was addressed in the movie, right? Those who have seen this film, feel free to set my mind at ease.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:25:54 pm by Jenn »

Jenn

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 07:03:23 pm »
Hmmmmmm.

The film is filled with sadly telling moments, like a black beauty student telling Rock that sheíd have a hard time taking a job applicant seriously if he had an afro, yet its tone is one of amusement rather than indignation...(i)n chronicling the permutations of black hair, the filmmaker ends up making a breezy statement on the universality of narcissism.

...he's content to avoid the issue's knottier roots. Why is straight white or Asian hair so popular? Black hair less so? Answers will have to be teased out elsewhere. Good Hair isn't selling anything but a good time.

Rock works harder to find out what's happening than why it's happening, doing little to explore why society stigmatizes black hair and how fake hair compares to any other fake enhancements in terms of self-image.

He conveys a lot of information, but also some unfortunate opinions and misleading facts...[t]he movie has a good feeling, but why do I know more about this subject than Chris Rock does?

Good Hair is a slipshod doc about a fascinating subject: the loaded history and current complications of African-American hairstyling...our tour guide through this sociopolitical miasma, Chris Rock, merely sees it as an opportunity to crack wise. It doesnít matter if Rock is in a Harlem barbershop or an Indian hair-weave factoryóthereís always a punch line or a snooty eye-roll to be had.

Gee, color me surprised. And the first four quotes are from critics who gave the film POSITIVE reviews.

See also:
Good Hair Doesn't Get to the Root of the Issue

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 10:31:57 pm »
Or, you could see it yourself.

Jenn

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 11:35:29 pm »
If I wanted to waste money on half-assed misogynist garbage, I'd read Black Panther.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 08:23:37 am »
Jenn,

That's a pretty harsh opinion for someone who hasn't even seen the film.

The following excerpts from the reviews I read, are right on point:

New York Times
The film's only misstep is its fixation on the competitors in a flamboyant Atlanta hair show.

Washington Post
If the audience misses anything in Good Hair, it might be more testimony from African American women who have let their hair grow naturally

In short,

LA Times
[Good Hair] is a documentary that weaves as much comedy as fact into the narrative, making the experience a satisfying entertainment

Доверяй, но проверяй