Author Topic: Storm Solo Series Discussion  (Read 22121 times)

Jenn

Re: Storm Solo Series Discussion
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2009, 07:43:31 am »
Ororo is sidelined in BP and taking a backseat to Emma in AXM

Which one burns the worst, I can't say.

perhaps showing what Storm is doing off panel during her husbands recoup

Right, because "giving a f*ck" apparently isn't it.

(Princesa, can you meet me in the general Storm thread? Much obliged.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:59:36 pm by Jenn »

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2009, 03:45:21 pm »
I like to see a Stormseries  but  fully incorporate all aspects of Ororo; Wakandan and mutant. I think she should be THE mutant leader and Wakanda as a hub of mutant activity outside America. That's a lot of grist for the mill.

I agree with this. This was one of the elements present in "Worlds Apart" that made it such a good read. I wonder if there is anything we can do to get Marvel to give a Storm ongoing a shot? Maybe they can start out with a 12-issue maxi series and turn it to an ongoing if it is very successful. They should definitely put a top notch artist and writer on the book and give it plenty of advertisement. Again, what can we do to help something like this come to fruition?
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2009, 07:47:46 pm »
Question;  can you wrote a solo Storm series while she is pregnant/or with a newborn to toddler child.  Or rather could you write it so it would not be either a family title (like BP's book) or look like she is either endangering or abandoning the child?

No female character has held a solo title while pregnant or with very young children.  I don't think any male character in an ongoing series has been written with a very tiny child at home.

Offline BarbaraB

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2009, 08:19:03 pm »
Question;  can you wrote a solo Storm series while she is pregnant/or with a newborn to toddler child.  Or rather could you write it so it would not be either a family title (like BP's book) or look like she is either endangering or abandoning the child?

No female character has held a solo title while pregnant or with very young children.  I don't think any male character in an ongoing series has been written with a very tiny child at home.

Cage?

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 06:31:24 am »
Not only Cage, but also his best Friend Danny, the Ironfist (and Misty) are having a child too.
And of course the FF.

Thanks Barbara. I agree 100 percent.

I don't know if Marvel will do it...but if Storm is so important...then why can't she have the 2nd mutant child since M-day...Hope is the first... but let Storm and T'challa children (because they should be twins ;D) be the next. That would really show her importance to the mutant world and X-mythos. It would also flow with things that have been stated before.

Mr. Hudlin already set it up very nicely, that their kids are very, very important to the future. According to the Watcher…

Can Storm have a kid and do things. Why not? I don’t get that at all. It is actually offensive implying that you can’t do things because you have a child. You have woman Cops, FBI agents, CIA agents, Policemen etc…etc…and they have children.

Plus, Storm is no regular woman. She is the Queen (or now Princess) of the most advanced military and technology advance nation in the MU (with the USA). she is rich beyond imagination. The kids would have the best teachers, scholars etc…teaching and helping raise the child(ren) as warriors, as the next leaders of Wakanda. I would love to see the Dora Milaje Sisterhood help with raising the children. These warrior women would also be like 2nd mothers to their kids, and would defend them with their lives. I’m sure Master Aneka would make sure of that at all costs. 3rd you have the Queen-Mother. You don’t think she is going to help take care of her *first* grand child(ren)???

Yeah, she can still do it…and I would love to see her in her own book, as Queen, mother, sister (to Shuri), Mutant/X-men leader and warrior; The same premise of Worlds Apart with elements from both Black Panther and the X-world.  It could be the book that ties events together between the X-verse and the greater MU (including BP).

With a writer from the X-office and BP co-writing….

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2009, 11:05:05 am »
X-office and BP office co-writing, eh? So how about Yost and Maberry co-authoring a Storm maxi with Carlos Pacheco (if he's the guy who drew X-Men issue 60) doing the artwork? If it does well, expand the maxi to an ongoing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:07:53 am by Rutog98 »

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Jenn

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2009, 11:10:45 am »
Why does Storm need a solo if she's a married woman? When people get solos, it's usually because the other person is somehow missing. How about working on Storm in the BP books? Let her raise children WITH HER HUSBAND. She doesn't need a solo book for that, for crying out loud.

The Worlds Apart title bombed. The Storm mini by EJD bombed. Ororo: Before the Storm bombed. I'm pretty sure the sales from the whole Storm/Cable/Mikhail series bombed. I mean...the woman can't carry a solo in a handbasket. How many more failures do we need? We've barely seen her as T'Challa's wife all year now.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2009, 11:25:23 am »
Why does Storm need a solo if she's a married woman? When people get solos, it's usually because the other person is somehow missing. How about working on Storm in the BP books? Let her raise children WITH HER HUSBAND. She doesn't need a solo book for that, for crying out loud.

The Worlds Apart title bombed. The Storm mini by EJD bombed. Ororo: Before the Storm bombed. I'm pretty sure the sales from the whole Storm/Cable/Mikhail series bombed. I mean...the woman can't carry a solo in a handbasket. How many more failures do we need? We've barely seen her as T'Challa's wife all year now.

A lot of the Storm fans did not buy the Worlds Apart mini, but then found out later that it was good. I think a maxi would be a good idea. It would last one year seeing how maxis are 12 issues. It would give fans time to get interested in the story and pick it up before it is done.

Thing is, I want to see a title where Storm is front and center. I want to see a title where her name is on the book and the title/stories revolve around her. Marvel even tried to give Jubilee an ongoing at one time along with Emma and Mystique. I'm not saying that I want Storm away from T'challa. Far from it! Black Panther is a good book, but his name on the title and I just want the same for her. If they can try and give Jubilee and Emma an ongoing, for crying out loud, they could at least try that for Storm. All of the Storm stories  you mentioned that bombed were horrible save "Worlds Apart." Perhaps people expected "Worlds Apart" to be craptastic like the preceeding Storm minis so they did not give it a chance?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:31:38 am by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2009, 11:34:30 am »
Mr. Maberry and Yost on a book like this would be awesome...

Jenn

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2009, 11:47:38 am »
Thing is, I want to see a title where Storm is front and center. I want to see a title where her name is on the book and the title/stories revolve around her.

But can that truly be done now? Back in the day, sure. But now? That's like saying you want a title where Black Panther is front and center. That can't really be done anymore because he's married. I would much rather have an ongoing book with Black Panther and Storm (and not with some ridiculous name change), than a mini/maxi that'll just underscore the point that Storm simply isn't as popular as her fans think she is. Even the Worlds Apart mini was renamed from Storm: Worlds Apart to X-Men: Worlds Apart. Giving Storm a mini/maxi now would be little more than an empty gesture, no matter WHO writes it. I'm way more concerned with her portrayal in the book she's in now. If it works out, keep it rolling. If not, work on it. But Storm as a wife and a princess queen hasn't even been properly fleshed out and set in stone, and it's been three years! (Three years? Wow.)

And for goodness' sakes, pleasepleasepleasePLEASE take her out of that godforsaken swimsuit w/the cum-f*ck-me boots! Whatever happened to the classy uniform she had during Hudlin's run? I loved it ever-so-much.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:49:21 am by Jenn »

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2009, 12:22:26 pm »
Ok, I see Jenn's point. Given the premise that Mr. Maberry has laid out about the book, and the fact that they are married...it needs to be shown that way, in Black Panther.

But I can understand as a fan of storm the self-centeredness of wanting her to have a book. If it was laid out conceptually like x-men X-treme, then it could work…a team that is lead by her, with a mix of humans and mutants working together (Xavier dream).

She would simply be like Wolverine, then.

I agree, I really want to see T'challa and Storm grow together as the King and Queen of Wakanda.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2009, 04:49:50 pm »
<< Seven:Not only Cage, but also his best Friend Danny, the Ironfist (and Misty) are having a child too.And of course the FF.>>

My question was about a solo hero in an ongoing title.  Cage doesn't have a solo title; the FF isn't a solo title and IF lost his solo title.

But I did think of one title that did it: Lone Wolf and Cub.

<<Can Storm have a kid and do things. Why not? I don’t get that at all. It is actually offensive implying that you can’t do things because you have a child. >>

The question isn't "can she", but can you write such a title that will sell long term in this market?  The title of the thread is a solo (on-going) title;  when you introduce a newborn, is there a market for Storm being a good mother of a newborn while being Storm?  Or does the nature of children automatically turn a solo title into a ensemble title, like the current BP.  And I am not saying that was a bad thing, it's just not this thread.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2009, 08:55:31 pm »
If she is pregnant I don't know but I'd love to see it. I think it would be great great. Great. Sue Storm had babies. It would add another great dimension and storyline to her character. And I don't see her sitting about with her feet up.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:31 pm »
Ororo is sidelined in BP and taking a backseat to Emma in AXM

Which one burns the worst, I can't say.

perhaps showing what Storm is doing off panel during her husbands recoup

Right, because "giving a f*ck" apparently isn't it.

(Princesa, can you meet me in the general Storm thread? Much obliged.)

You know i just saw this today, but I have been over there though.

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2009, 10:12:09 pm »
Well, how about a Storm direct-to-dvd animated movie? Maybe that would be more successful than an ongoing solo title for her at this time.

Or, how about a Storm and Panther animated movie?

Since both Storm and Panther can appear in the Superhero Squad cartoon, can they finally be in the same animated movie with each other?