Author Topic: Interracial marriage and politics: Breaking the last racial taboo?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Interracial marriage and politics: Breaking the last racial taboo?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 04:09:52 pm »
interesting.. northwest Indiana politicician Scott King, a former mayor of Gary IN, served from '96 - 06.. he was, statistically, the first white mayor since the late 60s, before richard hatcher became one of the nation's first black mayors..  King's wife is African-American.. by the time of King's election, Gary was easily 90% black..

http://www.scottkinggroup.com/profile.asp

and on a related note.. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:21:11 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:32:28 pm »
I have a number of problems with this article.  First:

With Barack Obama having rewritten the history of race relations in this country...
This statement is ridiculous to the point of offense.  How did Obama rewrite the history  Are you f*cking kidding me?  Did his election somehow erase centuries of oppression, inequality, and struggle - or perhaps the author meant that his election somehow proves that the legacy is dead?  Give me a break with this post-racial society nonsense.  It's exactly this kind of implicit denial that undergirds institutional racism.

Second, he colors acceptance of interracial relationships with a broad stroke.  I maintain that there is a marked difference between the level of acceptance in our society where the husband is white and the wife non-white, then where the ethnicities are reversed.  The example of the Tennessee Senate is probably not just about it taking place in Tennessee, as a Southern state, but in the particulars of the match-up.  The different regard is about power dynamics - in a patriarchal society, men are perceived as the power in a relationship, and so an interracial relationship with a non-white male is less acceptable.  If you recall the history - the one that Obama did not rewrite - lynchings were common on the pretext of an African-American man having eyes for or actually fraternizing with a white woman - whereas the converse was almost never - if ever - the case.  To the point, I assure you, that had Obama been married to a white woman (in spite of any emphasis on his "mixed" status) he wouldn't have stood a chance in the election.

And all interracial marriages are not equal.

Other barriers fell long ago: Phil Gramm, for example, a prominent conservative elected to both the House and Senate from Texas, is married to woman of Korean heritage who was born in Hawaii. This year, in deeply conservative South Carolina, state Sen. Nikki Haley, who is of Indian descent, has put her husband, who is white, and their children front and center in her campaign for governor.

Yeah.  Obviously.  Asian fetish marriages became all the rage sometime after Vietnam.

For his part, de Blasio himself is obviously not an idiot, unlike the author.

“We’re not in post-racial politics, but we’re in a politics of racial possibility,” de Blasio said. “Our obligation is to keep pushing it, ... to keep trying all the permutations of it.”

Articles like this are what's wrong with white liberalism.  I'd expect better from Politico.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:34:50 pm by Godheval »
Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »
And Hypestyle, holy sh*t.  Case in point.

Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She is white and he is black.

Ding.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

He has piles and PILES of black friends?  Are we talking human beings here or some sort of currency?  And I'm sorry, but what?  You let them use your bathroom?  Yeah, because that proves you're not a racist.

Wow.

Someone had better send this guy the memo on "Post-racial America", because our current President - you know, the one who rewrote the history of race relations - is the product of one of those marriages that tend to fail.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:56:40 pm by Godheval »
Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:45:39 pm »
I nominate this as the "Thread of the Day."

Hilarious stuff, Hype... where do you find it??

Jenn

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:59:21 pm »
 To the point, I assure you, that had Obama been married to a white woman (in spite of any emphasis on his "mixed" status) he wouldn't have stood a chance in the election.

Nor would black people love him so much. Yeah, I said it.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 09:25:31 pm »
 To the point, I assure you, that had Obama been married to a white woman (in spite of any emphasis on his "mixed" status) he wouldn't have stood a chance in the election.

Nor would black people love him so much. Yeah, I said it.

Of course, both things are true.  In fact, Michelle's beautiful chocolate skin tone helped Obama a lot with black voters.The fact that she's an amazing woman just put it over the top with all voters.