Author Topic: Pres. Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize!  (Read 16150 times)

michaelintp

Re: Pres. Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 09:57:38 pm »
At least you're criticizing the Nobel Committee instead of the President. Unlike so many of the detractors.

I don't know if the Nobel Peace Prize is a joking matter the world over. If you mean awarded by people with a very different perspective than your own, that is certainly true.

Well, Curtis, I see no reason to criticize President Obama here.  There is no indication that the President lobbied the Nobel Committee for the Peace Prize. On the contrary, it appears that the President was as shocked as we were when the award was announced.  The responsibility to award him the Peace Prize, with little or no justification, rests wholly with the Nobel Committee.  

Once awarded, there would have been little purpose to “refuse” the prize.  Particularly given the President’s and the Committee’s shared world vision, and their evident shared belief that the President might be able to use the “status” of the award to bolster his agenda internationally.

The problem with the Nobel Committee’s perspective is, of course, that attempts to appease dictators, tyrants and zealots do not usually result in a lasting peace.  On the contrary, they embolden those bent on conquest and the domination of others, paving the way to greater, more devastating, war.

It is a shame, really, that events moved so quickly in Europe in 1938.  Otherwise, we probably could have expected Neville Chamberlain to receive the Nobel Peace Price for his crowning diplomatic achievement, the Munich Agreement, signed by himself, Adolph Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and Edouard Daladier (to allow "German ethnic reunification" in land "occupied" by the "counterfeit state" Czechoslovakia, no doubt to "remedy the wrongs inflicted against the German People" after the First World War). I’m sure the Committee would have shared Chamberlain’s noble sentiment, “I believe it is peace for our time . . . peace with honour.”

However, to the same effect, in 1937 the Nobel Committee granted the “prestigious” Peace Prize to Lord Edgar Algernon Robert Gascoyne Cecil, Cecil of Chelwood, Viscount - Writer, Former Lord Privy Seal. Founder and President of the International Peace Campaign. The International Peace Campaign emerged in early 1936. The IPC aimed to coordinate the work of existing pacifist organizations and other groups opposed to war, and campaigned in support of the League of Nations. After the outbreak of war, the campaign (not surprisingly) had difficulty sustaining its activities and was wound up in early 1941.

Thus, I must wholly agree with you, that I do not share the obsequious “vision” of the Nobel Committee.  Leading to my conclusion that their Peace Prize is, indeed, a joke, and has been for a very long time.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 11:38:38 am »
At least you're criticizing the Nobel Committee instead of the President. Unlike so many of the detractors.

I don't know if the Nobel Peace Prize is a joking matter the world over. If you mean awarded by people with a very different perspective than your own, that is certainly true.

Well, Curtis, I see no reason to criticize President Obama here.  There is no indication that the President lobbied the Nobel Committee for the Peace Prize. On the contrary, it appears that the President was as shocked as we were when the award was announced.  The responsibility to award him the Peace Prize, with little or no justification, rests wholly with the Nobel Committee.  
Absolutely. I compliment your lucidity on the focus of your criticism. I was merely contrasting your approach with the likes of Michael Steele among others.

Thus, I must wholly agree with you, that I do not share the obsequious “vision” of the Nobel Committee.  Leading to my conclusion that their Peace Prize is, indeed, a joke, and has been for a very long time.
Seems like a hit and miss kind of thing.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

michaelintp

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 10:27:05 pm »
Hahaha, well Curtis, that's what happens when you just noodle things out for yourself and write down your thoughts, instead of relying on secondary sources to spoon feed you your opinions.  There is far too much of the latter (on the part of both the Right and the Left) and far too little of the former.  But ... I better shut up, before I have to see a chiropractor for patting myself on the back too hard, hahahaha.   ;)