Author Topic: Pres. Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize!  (Read 16147 times)

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
Re: Pres. Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 07:40:54 pm »
If you research Ghandi he said some very racist things about black folks!

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 09:33:30 am »
The Nobel Prize & Obama Derangement Syndrome
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Jenn

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 12:20:11 pm »
If you research Ghandi he said some very racist things about black folks!

Wow, no sh*t? Any shocking news about the color of the sky?

Thanks for the link, Wand. I don't even like Maddow, but I'm glad I watched this. I learned a lot!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:57:49 pm by Jenn »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 01:00:12 pm »
I love Maddow, but missed this.  Excellent. 

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 02:03:38 pm »
I congratulate the Prez on this occasion.  Hopefully the Prez will now be more openly aggressive (if that's the right word) for peace initiatives abroad as well as social justice policy at home.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 03:20:41 pm »
The Nobel Prize & Obama Derangement Syndrome

This is brilliant (to quote our British friend). Maddow nails it. Thanks, MW.

It's on the front page of the main site.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:58:41 am by Curtis Metcalf »
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:53 am »
You just gotta have a sense of humor about these things. :-\

Here is a gallery of humorous political cartoons (745 to be exact) documenting the winner of this year's Nobel Peace Prize award.
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/politicalcartoons/ig/Political-Cartoons/Obama-s-Nobel-Peace-Prize.htm
Starting With This One...

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 10:50:06 am »
Rachel Maddow's last line:
"The American President just won the Nobel Peace Prize. By any reasonable measure, all Americans should be proud."

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 03:58:07 pm »
Just saw this and I had to share:

Matt Taibbi on Obama's Nobel

http://trueslant.com/matttaibbi/2009/10/13/on-the-nobel-prize-for-occasional-peace/

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 09:12:28 pm »
And all of that is heartwarming and relevant and does nothing to explain why Ghandi went to his grave w/o a Nobel Peace Prize, but Obama gets one before being in office for one full year. Congrats to him, but I find it crazy to honor someone w/a Nobel Peace Prize for stuff you HOPE they will do.

I agree.  I think it was ridiculous that he won the award.  I want desperately to like Obama like I did when I was a sucker for all his rhetoric, but the facts of his administration so far speak louder.  The conservatives may be using this as another excuse to criticize Obama, which is stupid since Obama himself had nothing to do with the award, but it doesn't make the fact that he doesn't deserve it any less true.  In my view, the Nobel Prize has become little more than some sort of popularity contest.  The commission is just trying to participate in all the hooplah surounding Obama.  It's absurd.

Quote from: Jenn
Be that as it may, the idea that he should decline the honor is BEYOND insulting. They pulled that crap when they said he should bow down to Hillary and be her vice-president.

Now see, I disagree with you here.  While it is not for conservatives to say that he should decline the award, I would greatly respect Obama if he did reject it.  It would be an unprecedented gesture of humility.  It would show that Obama himself doesn't buy into all the hero worship and is more about doing his job. 

Of course, if he did so,  conservatives would probably spin it and say that it was another sign of his "elitism" to reject one of the world's most prestigious awards.  He wouldn't win, either way.

But, it's not his job to win points with conservatives.  He needs to be appealing to his base - those of us who put him office, and so far he's done nothing but cater to the middle.  Which amounts to nothing.

As for Maddow saying that we should be proud, why?  What exactly is there to be proud of in Obama's receipt of an award he doesn't deserve?  It is so characteristically superficial of Americans to be proud in the surface when there's no substance.  It's what the world expects of us.  We could've been proud of his rejection of the award, which would've been so UNcharacteristic of America that maybe we could've earned some of the world's RESPECT, rather than shallow celebrity-style admiration.

Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 09:31:25 pm »
Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 09:55:39 am »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 07:45:36 am »

Courtesy of doonesbury dot com

michaelintp

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 11:28:51 pm »
Well, here's my two cents.   ;)

The award of the Nobel Peace Prize to President Obama was remarkably premature.  At this point in time, it is entirely speculative as to whether his approach will substantially increase or decrease the risk of devastating war in the future. Furthermore, this is a question that reasonable and intelligent people have strongly differing views on. The Nobel Committee, and humanity, might be in a better position to evaluate the matter over the next decade. 

The fact that President Obama was given the award at this time, before he has accomplished anything of substance in the realm of world peace, does nothing but reveal how politically (or geo-politically) agenda-driven the Nobel Committee really is. 

The award also demonstrates what a joke the Nobel Peace Prize has become.  But then, that fact was established well before President Obama received the award.

So what has been the reaction of the American People to all this? Gallup reports that the majority of Americans do not believe President Obama deserved to win the Nobel Peace Prize (61%), but the public is split in its personal reaction to the announcement. Asked if they are “glad” Obama received the prize, 46% of Americans say yes and 47% say no. This USA Today/Gallup poll conducted about a week after the announcement asked whether Obama 'deserved' the award, and found Americans by roughly a 2-to-1 margin saying no rather than yes.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/123851/Americans-Views-Obama-Nobel-Peace-Prize.aspx?CSTS=alert

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 05:44:19 am »
At least you're criticizing the Nobel Committee instead of the President. Unlike so many of the detractors.

I don't know if the Nobel Peace Prize is a joking matter the world over. If you mean awarded by people with a very different perspective than your own, that is certainly true.