Author Topic: The BS of Sparta  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The BS of Sparta
« on: September 21, 2006, 09:15:14 am »
I watched the latest trailer of 300 and I am disgusted by the utter bullsh*t they say about freedom. Sparta at that time practiced slavery, just as many other cultures did in that era. While those barbarians celebrated their strength and gods their slaves worked the fields that fed them. They are not the models of modern democracy and freedom.  >:(
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline In_Spirit

• "Kiss the ring...."
    • View Profile
Re: The BS of Sparta
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 09:43:25 am »
Every great civilization that has ever towered high has done so on the backs of others.  I never read the comics so I'm not sure, but maybe they do address the aspect of slavery in the story.  It'd be kinda silly not to.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:36:50 pm »
I watched the latest trailer of 300 and I am disgusted by the utter bullsh*t they say about freedom. Sparta at that time practiced slavery, just as many other cultures did in that era. While those barbarians celebrated their strength and gods their slaves worked the fields that fed them. They are not the models of modern democracy and freedom. >:(

That is exactly like how America is today. The only difference is Spartan civilians respected their army and government.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 05:52:47 pm »
I watched the latest trailer of 300 and I am disgusted by the utter bullsh*t they say about freedom. Sparta at that time practiced slavery, just as many other cultures did in that era. While those barbarians celebrated their strength and gods their slaves worked the fields that fed them. They are not the models of modern democracy and freedom. >:(

That is exactly like how America is today. The only difference is Spartan civilians respected their army and government.

And practiced slavery! America managed to prosper without it. Sparta did not. Having the freedom to disrespect an elected government and military is fine by me.  >:(
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 09:10:21 pm »
Your saying America never practiced slavery? Okay...

Everything we do, they did. History repeats itself. If the Spartan empire were still around I'm sure they wouldn't have slavery. Every single place on this planet at one time practiced slavery. When this country was formed they said they same all men is free bs and yet still had slaves and did for a hundred years after. Don't get mad at a movie about three hundred Spartan soldiers who fought for their lives and happend to say they enjoy being free. It's Frank Miller. You know it's good.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:20:07 pm by Ed »

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 09:21:33 pm »
No, after it was abolished America was able to prosper without it. They even came out of the Depression. We all know that, right? Since ancient Sparta couldn't stay glorious without slave labor I like how modern democracy has left it behind.

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 09:46:10 pm »
I watched the latest trailer of 300 and I am disgusted by the utter bullsh*t they say about freedom. Sparta at that time practiced slavery, just as many other cultures did in that era. While those barbarians celebrated their strength and gods their slaves worked the fields that fed them. They are not the models of modern democracy and freedom.  >:(

Nobody said they were models of modern democracy and freedom. The 300 isn't a story about democracy; it's a story about heroism, bravery, and butchering Persians until you can build a wall out of their bodies. Spartans kept slaves, and for that matter, so did Persians. It was a common practice during that period of time, though it should be pointed out they they were not practicing the same kind of slavery that Americans did (chattel slavery). That's not a defense of what they were doing, just a clarification. Hypocrisy comes natural to humans. I've never heard anyone say they wanted to emulate the political structure of the Spartans; people want to emulate their ferocity, their stoicism, and their sense of self-sacrifice.

People like them for saying things like this:

Persian Messenger: The Persian arrows are so numerous, they will blot out the sun!
Leonidas: Good. Then we will fight in the shade.

=============

Leonidas' wife: Come back with your shield, or on it.

=============

Leonidas: What is your profession?

Non-Spartan Soldier: I'm a carpenter

Other Non-Spartan Soldier: I'm a baker

Spartans: (Raise Spears in complete silence)
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 12:29:37 am »
American chattel slavery was not the same as the kind praiced in the ancient world.

Just as those first democracies don't truly resemble ours.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 04:21:57 am »

Their marketing dept. should take care to make that point. Emulate what Gene Hackman said to Denzel Washington in 'Crimson Tide': We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it.

Offline Rasmane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 03:31:22 am »
Their marketing dept. should take care to make that point. Emulate what Gene Hackman said to Denzel Washington in 'Crimson Tide': We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it.

An action movie rank-pulling turned historical inaccuracy disclaimer... :D

Filmed entertainment is some powerful sh*t, and Open Palm, I agree with you that the damaging effect of misrepresented historical content always needs to be considered--but anyone who sees this movie and comes out thinking s/he's a Greek scholar is too stupid to be allowed outside with $9.50 in the first place.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 10:08:21 am »
What I'm saying is don't judge the movie if you have not read the comic. Or don't read the comic and don't judge the movie until you see it. Right or wrong, the worst thing to be is ignorant.

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 08:59:45 am »
American chattel slavery was not the same as the kind praiced in the ancient world.

Took the words right off my keyboard.
...Rassclaat.