Author Topic: Entertainment and the Burden of Being Conscious  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
Re: Entertainment and the Burden of Being Conscious
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 07:30:38 pm »
I'm not sure they're detached from reality. Where they are works very well for them. many of them get rich by catering to the baser natures of a lot of ignorant, emotionally stunted adolescents and post adolescents.

And, on some very basic level, men, more than women, are hard-wired for violence. I love a good sword fight or when the good guy makes the bad guy suffer, just a little, before giving him the final blow. 100k years of evolution isn't going away over night (nor should it. not all of it). it's the conscious manipulation and exploitation of that baser nature that makes for these ugly images.

if you look at the makers of such games more like pimps or drug dealers you'll have a better understanding of the mindset. What they care about is making money. They don't give a rat's ass if they f*ck your mind up in the process. It's all just "harmless fun."

And, far from letting them off the hook, I hold them very much accountable for spreading the disease. Ignorance of Reality is no excuse. We all live here, after all.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 10:39:35 pm »
Hm.  An interesting - and better - way of putting it.  It's not that they're detached from reality, but that they operate within a different reality.  And their reality more closely corresponds to that of the demographic majority than with those of minorities or people with a more pluralistic worldview. 

But then, is it really that they (and who are "they", really?) are aware of the other realities and consciously ignore them, or that they honestly do not know about them.  I'm inclined to believe the former, but not out of any malevolence on their part, but rather an intellectual laziness.  There is virtually no incentive for them to do things or see things differently.  What?  A sense of justice, of artistic integrity?  Don't be ridiculous.
Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 06:06:36 am »
Were you a game tester, Battle?

Technically, if you played any of those computer games and tolerated constant patches updates and abrupt changes in the core game,   YESWe were all beta-testers!  ;D

Officially, no.

Yeah, I agree with Redjack and Godheval that these game designers  are within thier own microcosm and got rich by catering to an extremely loo-w-ww, not necessarily common denominator.  I enjoyed a whole range of games in that time mainly because of the creativity contained in them and wanted to know more about the creative process. I communicated a lot of ideas and concepts to a few of the designers that actually ended up in the final version however, I found out that ultimately, the gamer community online in discussion forums fostered extremely juvenile and hostile personalities.  Every once in a while, there would be an exceptionally, mature individual with extremely extra-sensory perception but overall the whole crop of people that industry attracted
---Brr-r-r!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:11:35 am by Battle »