Author Topic: Lion's experience at Florida A&M University  (Read 18771 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Lion's experience at Florida A&M University
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 10:54:42 pm »
How many HBCU graduates are here?

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 12:16:55 am »
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 04:28:27 am »
f*cking quotes...

Akuma,
I've got plenty of friends that graduated from HBCUs that would say that your experience is MUCH more unique than Lion's.

So what and I have a large amount of friends with the same positive experiences at HBCUs as mine and friends with negative experiences at non-HBCUs. Your point?  

Whose fault is this, really? Bullsh*t. Fact is, they lied to get me there, they broke the contract once I got there, and they did their damndest to force me out once I got there.

Treat me like sh*t and it will be a cold day in hell before I help you out.

So they lied to a music major where the scholarship is meant for students that is in engineering & sciences to get you there? I don't believe you at all.  I have a hard time believing that the school didn't tell you that prior to you getting it.

1.) I declared my major on my application to the school and to the scholarship.

2.) It was not limited to engineering and sciences. There were also English majors (who also got screwed) and Business majors (who didn't get screwed) who were on scholarship. They didn't start specifying majors until well after I graduated.

3.) I sure as hell was lied to... and I wasn't the only one.

Man... You are hilarious. Let me count the way I broke the "rules."

1.) I worked.

By the way... that rule against working wasn't in the f*cking contract. It was sprung on us after we got there. It was a damn good thing I did work, otherwise I wouldn't have had a dime when they were f*cking around with my money... which they did every semester I was there.

2.) I took more than 15 hours a semester.

Damn right I did. Especially since in the orientation meeting, we were told we had to take a minimum of 15 to stay on scholarship. They didn't give a damn that I was taking more until my third year.

Let me count the ways they broke the contract.

1.) Paid internship - Never saw it. Never saw the money I would have earned, either.
2.) Stipend every semester - Saw it the first year and never saw it after that.
3.) Room and board - I received an eviction notice from the dorm my second and third year... Why? Because they f*cked around on paying the bills. I started off every year with a week-long fast, seeing that it took that long to get them to activate my f*cking meal card.
4.) Full tuition - Bullsh*t. I paid for my last two semesters.

Unless you were there, you don't have a f*cking leg to stand on or to judge. They wanted the f*cking best. They got the f*cking best. They didn't hold up their end of the deal.

They couldn't get me on grades. They couldn't get me on behavior. So they made up something to get me on. After one year of having put up with their sh*t, I decided that rather than transfer and waste a year - and likely pay for schooling out of pocket because I wouldn't be getting another full ride - that I would take more classes and get the hell out. And that's what I did.

Maybe just maybe if you didn't went over the 15 hours then you wouldn't have pay all of the extra money out of pocket in the first place so by trying to find a loophole and you got yourself in a worse situation. Maybe the reason why one cant go over 15 hours since it could be a possibility of over spending. I wouldn't be surprised if that their is an actual cap of money being used for 15 hours. If it goes over then the money from the next semester would be used to pay for it. Most likely it led to the point of no money left later than it should. So who fault is it again?  Saying the line "it didn't specially say it" kind of doesn't give you a valid reason to go over but hey mission accomplished.

Love how you are trying to rationalize the whole thing to defend a school you have never attended and have no experience with.

They never expressed any objections until the second half of the third year. The classes I took were core classes that I would have had to take anyway. I graduated with exactly 120 credit hours (which is 15 x 8, by the way), had 6 hours exempted (because those were repeating classes I didn't have to take), and saved them a year's room and board and stipend...

...and seeing that they balked on the internship I was supposed to have every summer, took my scholarship money, withheld two years of stipends, didn't pay for my sixth semester, lied and didn't pay for my summer semester enrollment (where I was student teaching out of town and took a job to pay for rent and the one meal I had a day)...

I cost them a hell of a lot less than anyone else.

If you think I am the only person who has had an experience like that and that this sh*t only happens at FAMU, you really don't have a f*cking clue. So quit pretending that you do.

No one said you were only person whom experience your "terrible woes" nor stating only FAMU but again blindly bashing all 105 schools for no reason is silly plain and simple. So once again for every bad experience you have encountered and if just so happens they have a similar experience like you it must be FACT and blindly generalize it all.  Right I got it now.

So I guess the rest of the 104 are exactly like your experiences. I'll keep that in mind. And I don't need to pretend because once again I never experienced your mess.

It is hilarious how you are spinning this whole thing to defend something that you have no first-hand experience with and know nothing about.

I'm describing a pattern of behavior that happens in Black institutions and is carried out by Black people in false positions of power who don't have their sh*t together trying to lord it over others... a specific type of shucking and jiving and tomfoolery that you won't find at the major universities.

So... Go ahead. Get mad. It should infuriate you. Eleven years after the fact, it still infuriates me. But don't come to me defending it or attacking me as non-credible because you don't want to believe Black people in positions of power are capable of shucking, jiving, lying, and tomfoolery to get what they want from Black people lower than them on the food chain.

Personally, I have no qualms about talking about our dirty laundry or "snitching", if you will.

You have friends that have had positive HBCU experiences. Good. So do I. Start talking to them about the bullsh*t that happens there and see if you don't find something odd.

Two weeks for mail to get from one end of campus to the building next to it? Not normal. Five weeks to print out a sheet of paper and slap it in a press? Not normal. Two weeks to get an appointment to go to Financial Aid so they can cancel on you? Not normal. Four hours criss-crossing the campus to get overrides to get into classes? Not normal. Not seeing your stipend or net check until after the semester is nearly over? Not normal. Try pulling that bullsh*t elsewhere and see what happens.

I've got no patience or tolerance for it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:56:07 pm by Lion »

Jenn

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 09:42:48 am »

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 05:12:49 pm »
My point is clearly stated.
Lion's HBCU experience isn't unusual, even amongst the "Ivy League" HBCUs.
Which school did you attend and how do you "give back"?

Shoot,
I've got my own HBCU horror story; I refused to tolerate the idiocy of the administration and bailed within a week!
Landed my intolerant ass in aviation school instead.

No it isn't your point isn't any more clearer than a person stating that coke tastes better than pepsi or vice versa.

Now since you want to be cute and clever with your quotes ::). I attended Morgan State in Baltimore and graduated in 2005. Ever since I graduated I did the best I could to be there for the new generation of graduates. I have a good friend that was also an alum where we help many young men in mentoring programs. The name of it is called Morgan MILE (Male Initiative on Leadership and Excellence) and the other was the Warrior Institute. Both were setup to tackle the large amount of black males whom drop out. As you already know black males have problems at times regardless of what institution he attends. I applaud Dr D. Jason DeSousa (Morgan MILE)  and Dr Raymond Winbush (Warrior Institute) for creating these. The first time I heard about I ran over to the school to see what it is all about. Once I attended and have seen what they were doing I wrote a check to the school and I have been doing it ever since. Instead of f*cking whining and complaining they did something about. If you must know I may not place alot of money into it (35 bux a month) but I know that I am doing my part to make my school a better school for future.

NOW BACK OUR REGULAR BROADCAST

1.) I declared my major on my application to the school and to the scholarship.

2.) It was not limited to engineering and sciences. There were also English majors (who also got screwed) and Business majors (who didn't get screwed) who were on scholarship. They didn't start specifying majors until well after I graduated.

3.) I sure as hell was lied to... and I wasn't the only one.
I'm just not going to sit here blindly think that your school lied to you and so many other students to attend your school. I'm sorry I just don't believe you at all.

Love how you are trying to rationalize the whole thing to defend a school you have never attended and have no experience with.

They never expressed any objections until the second half of the third year. The classes I took were core classes that I would have had to take anyway. I graduated with exactly 120 credit hours (which is 15 x 8, by the way), had 6 hours exempted (because those were repeating classes I didn't have to take), and saved them a year's room and board and stipend...

...and seeing that they balked on the internship I was supposed to have every summer, took my scholarship money, withheld two years of stipends, didn't pay for my sixth semester, lied and didn't pay for my summer semester enrollment (where I was student teaching out of town and took a job to pay for rent and the one meal I had a day)...

I cost them a hell of a lot less than anyone else.
Basically what I was saying was simple. Their must be a reason why that one can't go over 15 hours per semester did you even bother to learn why?

It is hilarious how you are spinning this whole thing to defend something that you have no first-hand experience with and know nothing about.

I'm describing a pattern of behavior that happens in Black institutions and is carried out by Black people in false positions of power who don't have their sh*t together trying to lord it over others... a specific type of shucking and jiving and tomfoolery that you won't find at the major universities.

So... Go ahead. Get mad. It should infuriate you. Eleven years after the fact, it still infuriates me. But don't come to me defending it or attacking me as non-credible because you don't want to believe Black people in positions of power are capable of shucking, jiving, lying, and tomfoolery to get what they want from Black people lower than them on the food chain.

Personally, I have no qualms about talking about our dirty laundry or "snitching", if you will.

You have friends that have had positive HBCU experiences. Good. So do I. Start talking to them about the bullsh*t that happens there and see if you don't find something odd.

Two weeks for mail to get from one end of campus to the building next to it? Not normal. Five weeks to print out a sheet of paper and slap it in a press? Not normal. Two weeks to get an appointment to go to Financial Aid so they can cancel on you? Not normal. Four hours criss-crossing the campus to get overrides to get into classes? Not normal. Not seeing your stipend or net check until after the semester is nearly over? Not normal. Try pulling that bullsh*t elsewhere and see what happens.

I've got no patience or tolerance for it.
Right by blindly saying that ALL HBCUs are like this makes it any more valid or as fact? Man please you are the comedian not I. It is nothing more than a few students among the thousands of students whom attend and graduated and never had your experience at all but you still had the nerve to disdain the schools?

I am attacking you because you are just the typical overly arrogant individual whom act as if their sh*t dont stink and want to make baseless generalizing claims. What you are doing is just reinterpreting the intent of the civil rights movement and the laws that followed to complete get rid of black schools since now blacks can attend any school they want rather than to enhance them to the point of parity. Many of these schools are struggling financially and doing the best they can to educate people but then their are people like you whom want to f*ck things up.

So yeah I am a disturbed but I am not going to sit there and let you trash them plain and simple so we are in a dilemma
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 05:39:16 pm »
You know; I gave my account and you obviously already made up your mind despite not knowing one goddamn thing that you are talking about.

You don't know me. Don't pretend you do. We've not had one discussion on this forum that I can recall in all the time we've both been here.

It was never about convincing you or somehow "impressing" you. You don't factor into it at all and quite frankly, your uneducated opinion is as worthless as YOU are. I had nothing to gain at all by bringing this up on a private area of the board you can't see, much less agreeing to post it in the blog section or agreeing to let it be put on the front page of the damn website where everyone and his/her mother could comment on it.

So, f*ck you... f*ck the horse you rode in on... and f*ck your momma for making you in the first place. No wait... Let's not f*ck her, because the last thing we need to risk are more arrogant, incompetent, self-righteous, dumbass ingrates such as yourself being born into this world.

That said, go to hell, get on your knees, and fellate the devil like the little snot-nosed cocksucker that you are.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:41:50 pm by Lion »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 05:58:37 pm »
My 2 Cents...by Catch22

I attended an HBCU...Alabama State University and my experience there was nothing short of fantastic.  Before I transferred to ASU, I was at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa for a year.  My experience at an HBCU was infinitely better than my experience at the predominantly white institution.  Did I have registration and financial aid/scholarship problems?  Yes...at both schools.  Were there people unqualified to be in what they believed to be positions of power?  Yes...again at both schools.   

At UofA, they decided to make me room with a white guy (surprise, right? :) ) that wanted to be a rapper (I'll have to post that full story in my blog sometime.  Think Bud Bundy meets Alex Keaton).  Mind you, this was before a white guy rapping was anything more than a novelty...but to make a long story short, it took them about three months to get around to my request for new residence and it wasn't because anything was full or overcrowding, but because they "lost" my paper work a couple of times.  That being said, there are incompetent workers on college  campuses all over this country, it's not exclusive to the HBCU. 

My wife is still amazed at the number of people who honk, shout and wave at her when she drives my car and they see my ASU Alumni tag and window decal.  The majority of people I know that went to ASU still love it and they show up at the Magic City Classic like clock work. 

Honestly, the most problems I had on campus when I was in school were with people not from the south, NYC in particular (apologies to the NYC Fam!).  You'd always hear them complain about EVERYTHING.  No good food, everything's too slow, there's nothing to do here and the cardinal sin of thinking that everyone from the South was an ignorant rube that could be easily gamed.  Like I told them..."Why are you here if it's that bad? There's no anchor attached to your ass holding you down!"   Just wanted to throw that in there! :)

I've been invited back to the school several time to speak to students and when I was living in Alabama, I hired students as IT interns to help get their careers started.  I'm a member of our Alumni Assoc. and I give a little something, something on a monthly basis.  I even have friends that have gone back to teach at the College of Business Administration...which my class (c/o '95) helped attain it's Accreditation in 1994.   ;D

I'd better stop before I bust out in a chorus of "I'm So Glad"!   

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 08:27:33 pm »
I'm just not going to sit here blindly think that your school lied to you and so many other students to attend your school. I'm sorry I just don't believe you at all.
So, you don't believe him because ... you don't believe him. That is your prerogative but surely you recognize that the logic is less than compelling. I'll accept the eyewitness account provisionally.

I have heard so many stories like that, it seems completely plausible to me. My wife is a FAMU alumna and also worked for Fashion Fair Cosmetics for a number of years. Let's just say that we have spent a lot of time over the years wondering what the hell is wrong with black organizations. That's not to say that it was all negative or even mostly negative but the notion of professionalism is largely theoretical far too often.

The other thing that dismays me is the eagerness to defend this shoddiness instead of demanding excellence. "You know, they doing the best they can." No. They're not.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 10:03:24 pm »
My 2 Cents...by Catch22

Honestly, the most problems I had on campus when I was in school were with people not from the south, NYC in particular (apologies to the NYC Fam!).  You'd always hear them complain about EVERYTHING.  No good food, everything's too slow, there's nothing to do here and the cardinal sin of thinking that everyone from the South was an ignorant rube that could be easily gamed.  Like I told them..."Why are you here if it's that bad? There's no anchor attached to your ass holding you down!"   Just wanted to throw that in there! :)

Taking a shot at NYC, eh!

NOW I see why you need so many aliases! 8)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:39:17 am by jefferson sergeant »

Jenn

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 10:39:34 pm »
So, f*ck you... f*ck the horse you rode in on... and f*ck your momma for making you in the first place. No wait... Let's not f*ck her, because the last thing we need to risk are more arrogant, incompetent, self-righteous, dumbass ingrates such as yourself being born into this world.

Are you serious? If you don't want your experiences questioned or disbelieved, don't post them on a message board. I'm sure there was a ton of fellatio in the War Room or the FOI board or wherever this all started. Why wasn't that good enough? Did you really need an extended group of people whining about how much HBCUs suck?

I already regret posting in this thread - I had no desire to give your story any credence one way or the other - but it's not like anybody else is going to call you on this. Did you really have to go there about this guy's mother just because he didn't believe you? You, a moderator, who has BAWWWWWed to me about my posting? Even *I*, in my tumultuous history here at HEF, have never said some sh*t like that (I think). His mother? His MOTHER? HIS F*CKING MOTHER? Then again, misogyny is par for the course here at HEF.

Furthermore, you ASSumed akumatrunigga didn't attend an HBCU. (You apparently missed it the first time he mentioned it.)

When he told you he went to Morgan State, you blew a gasket. I'm sure your next comment will be that he didn't go to FAM. Well, I went to FAM - also on a scholarship - and *I* rolled my eyes at your story. Lessee...your parents refused to supply paperwork that was asked for. Your mother filled in the wrong code on your paperwork. (f*ck her, I guess. Or not.) You worked more hours than you were supposed to. And all of that was FAMU's fault? Gee, let's hear about my story about how I lost my ROTC scholarship after taking medication that led to a psychotic episode my sophomore year! Oh, and apparently you are such an important human being that FAMU was gunning to have your scholarship taken away. You never mentioned why, so you'll excuse some of us for cocking a brow at your tale of woe. Hell, if things were that bad, why didn't you transfer to State? Oh, and Dr. Humphries can't be trusted to do anything? HAHAHAHAHAHNIGGAPLZ. Hump may have more liquor in him than a distillery, but THAT is bullsh*t. I'm sure there wasn't much he could do while you were working more hours than your scholarship allowed.

Eleven years after the fact, it still infuriates me.

There are therapists for that, dude. (Make a weak-ass bipolar joke here.)

You know; I gave my account and you obviously already made up your mind despite not knowing one goddamn thing that you are talking about.

You gave your account on a message board. How come he doesn't know what he's talking about - because he questioned you? Yet the ones that DO accept your story magically know what you're talking about, despite the fact that we all got the same story?

Honestly, this entire thread was little more than an opportunity for people to brag about their bullsh*t state college experiences and their more-Negro-than-thou-art attitudes towards HBCUs. Half of these cats are "I heard" and "my friend said". One guy bragged because some white college fed him steak! Bully for you guys, geez. I'm proud to have gone to an HBCU, I would never send my kids to a white college (nor would I pay for it if they chose to attend one), and I feel sorry for anybody who didn't.

Now, seeing that I went to FAMU on a scholarship and feel that Lion's memory is a bit selective, let's see what kind of fun things he's going to say about me and *my* mother. If he'll talk like that to another man, I'm sure the insults towards me - a woman - will top anything that Peruvian guy had to say.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:54:59 pm by Jenn »

Jenn

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 10:55:12 pm »
I'd better stop before I bust out in a chorus of "I'm So Glad"!   

Singing "Glory, hallelujah
God bless FAMU!!!!"

That being said, there are incompetent workers on college  campuses all over this country, it's not exclusive to the HBCU.

These bourgeoisie niggers should talk to my best friend from GERMANY who got royally screwed by Florida State. LULZ at this entire goddamn thread.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 05:32:22 am »
Jenn... Feel free to join akuma... because I don't give two sh*ts what you have to say, either. Especially given all the games you know FAMU plays in the financial aid department and all of its administrative systems. Do you honestly believe it takes months after class begins to cut a Financial Aid net check on a FAFSA form filed the previous year?

The Life Gets Better Scholarship, The Distinguished Scholars, Thurgood Marshall Scholarship were located in and directly administered by the President's office. At the time, FAMU was competing to get more African-American Merit Scholars than Harvard. Whether they retained them? Beats me. Doesn't matter.

The purpose of the post was to solicit HBCU experiences to see how they compared, whether positive or negative and see what needed to be done. Read the first page of the website to see Reggie's intro and call for discussion. Or don't... I don't care.

And I don't give a damn about your fake outrage over my clear misogyny, either.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:52:59 am by Lion »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 08:04:40 am »
Jenn... Feel free to join akuma... because I don't give two sh*ts what you have to say, either. Especially given all the games you know FAMU plays in the financial aid department and all of its administrative systems. Do you honestly believe it takes months after class begins to cut a Financial Aid net check on a FAFSA form filed the previous year?

The Life Gets Better Scholarship, The Distinguished Scholars, Thurgood Marshall Scholarship were located in and directly administered by the President's office. At the time, FAMU was competing to get more African-American Merit Scholars than Harvard. Whether they retained them? Beats me. Doesn't matter.

The purpose of the post was to solicit HBCU experiences to see how they compared, whether positive or negative and see what needed to be done. Read the first page of the website to see Reggie's intro and call for discussion. Or don't... I don't care.

And I don't give a damn about your fake outrage over my clear misogyny, either.

You guys disagreed and have differing opinions of HBCUs...we got that.  But, Jenn's right about the content and tone of that earlier post.  It was just plain uncalled for in a discussion about Black College experiences.  Frankly, I'm more disappointed in Curtis' response in glossing over that post and taking Akuma to task for having issues with your story.  Hey, if that's the way it happened with you at FAMU, fine, but to go off on that tangent because someone had the nerve to question it was ridiculous.  In ending this, I'll head off any other HEF FOI that wants to go off on a profanity laced tirade.  I don't play those games...I'm not an internet thug/sh*t talker...if you wouldn't feel confident saying something to my face..don't type it on here.

Just to put it in perspective...a while back when I was new to the board, I made a joke about Mr. Wright, now The Dark Wright TM, by posting a youtube video of someone talking out of their ass and I was immediately "reprimanded" by one of the mods.  Practice what you preach.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 08:15:59 am »
Gee Lion,
You my Dawg and all, but umm....that last tirade aimed at akuma, is seriously over-the-top.
Wanna rethink that?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 09:15:24 am »
Hell no, I'm not going to rethink that. He has a different opinion of HBCU's and the HBCU experience than I do? Fine. That's his right.

Once he accused me of lying and exercising selective memory... Once he went so far as to outright defend and justify something that happened to me...

I was waaaaytoo kind. He got what he was asking for... and as far as I'm concerned, Jenn and anyone else who wants to defend him can line up for more of the same.