Author Topic: Lion's experience at Florida A&M University  (Read 18428 times)

Jenn

Re: Lion's experience at Florida A&M University
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 10:37:53 am »
Jenn... Feel free to join akuma... because I don't give two sh*ts what you have to say, either.

::)

Especially given all the games you know FAMU plays in the financial aid department and all of its administrative systems.

I do? Maybe it's because of the ROTC program, but I never once had a problem. In fact, FAMU was kind enough to let me keep my scholarship for the spring semester, even though I was discharged from the program in the fall of 2001. So no...I don't know anything about what you went through. Now, there WAS the Gainous debacle and the Wheel O'Presidents. But if I'm following your timeline right, you weren't even there for that. And Dr. Ammons has been shown praised repeatedly for getting FAMU back on track.

The purpose of the post was to solicit HBCU experiences to see how they compared, whether positive or negative and see what needed to be done.

And I've shared mine. And now you're pouting about it. Just be honest and say that this thread was to bash HBCUs and hail the great glory of good white folks and their good white colleges.

And I don't give a damn about your fake outrage over my clear misogyny, either.

Who says I'm outraged? Calling you on your sh*t != outraged. I'm just doing what I already know most of the men here at HEF - including the all-male mod squad - won't do.

Jenn and anyone else who wants to defend him can line up for more of the same.

Right, because "f*ck you and your mom" stings so badly. Ow.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:00:26 am by Jenn »

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 11:04:39 am »
You guys disagreed and have differing opinions of HBCUs...we got that.  But, Jenn's right about the content and tone of that earlier post.  It was just plain uncalled for in a discussion about Black College experiences.  Frankly, I'm more disappointed in Curtis' response in glossing over that post and taking Akuma to task for having issues with your story. 
I addressed the tone of the message with Lion privately.
It wasn't my intent to "take Akuma to task". He believes what he believes.

Some apparently took Lion's story as a blanket indictment of HBCUs and sprang to their defense. I get that. My perception of his post was different.

I have been in conversations for more than 30 years about the shortcomings of black institutions including but not limited to HBCUs. Don't get it twisted, I think their mission is important and they have done wonderful things including turning out the majority of African American college graduates. At the same time, I do notice a professionalism gap on the whole AND a disturbing tendency to excuse those lapses instead of holding them to a high standard. I think we'd all like to see all those institutions raise their game. We need them to do just that. And I think they need us to hold them to a high standard of excellence.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Jenn

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 11:15:34 am »

Apparently it worked, seeing that his response was "he deserved it and anybody else can get some, too". What a wonderful representation of the HEF moderating team. Why don't you bring back Cooper while you're at it?

My perception of his post was different.

Hmm.

So, f*ck you... f*ck the horse you rode in on... and f*ck your momma for making you in the first place. No wait... Let's not f*ck her, because the last thing we need to risk are more arrogant, incompetent, self-righteous, dumbass ingrates such as yourself being born into this world.

I would LOVE to know what your interpretation of that little temper tantrum was, boss.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 11:46:27 am »
Apparently it worked, seeing that his response was "he deserved it and anybody else can get some, too". What a wonderful representation of the HEF moderating team. Why don't you bring back Cooper while you're at it?
I spoke with Lion today.

So, f*ck you... f*ck the horse you rode in on... and f*ck your momma for making you in the first place. No wait... Let's not f*ck her, because the last thing we need to risk are more arrogant, incompetent, self-righteous, dumbass ingrates such as yourself being born into this world.

I would LOVE to know what your interpretation of that little temper tantrum was, boss.
That it is a temper tantrum. And inappropriate.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 12:09:19 pm »
Just to be clear, I never slammed ALL HBCUs.  Or ANY.
I just said that Lion’s story ain’t all that unique amongst HBCU graduates that I know.
They share these stories and fiercely defend their alma maters…expressing disdain for my having had it so easy at a non-HBCU.  They call me a woose for not having had the the wherewithal to endure more than the week that I tried to attend an HBCU.  I will not apologize for having options.  I was not on any school awarded scholarship, so I exercised my prerogative to bounce out of that particular system that infuriated me.

Specifically, I endured a long ass bus ride to an HBCU that had accepted me into their Industrial Engineering program as a THIRD year student.  I was especially excited about the prospect of attending uni in an environment reportedly more nurturing than the non-HBCU that I’d voluntarily left.  The college catalog presented a “top rated” engineering department and boasted brand new facilities, state of the art equipment and such.  Heck, even Ebony had had a recent article extolling the virtues of THIS SPECIFIC SCHOOL, with pretty pictures and everything!

Upon arrival, I quickly discovered bleakly substandard living conditions that I resolved to endure for the sake of the “Black experience”.  A horrifying registration experience landed me in the Dean’s office, fuming that NONE of my core classes were being offered that semester.  The Dean advised that although the department buildings and equipment were all new, professors had not yet been secured for my program.  To assuage my fears,  he counseled me to register for M.E. classes for the time being and that all the credits would transfer to an I.E. degree in the end.  Reluctantly, I agreed.  However, a series of additional administrative crapola nearly pushed me over the edge.  After attending a week’s worth of classes, sleeping seven days in their dorm and eating a week’s worth of meals in the cafeteria, I fled with three fat ass scholarship checks in my pocket payable to that university.

I’m no shyster.  It is possible that I misinterpreted the college catalog and the article in Ebony.  But I don't think so.    That is why I do not doubt Lion's story about the lies he was told.

The non-HBCU that I finally graduated from delivered EVERYTHING that they promised, hassle-free.  Not saying it was more credible or competent because they were Jesuit white folks, just that it was a mo' better university experience for me.

Bourgeois has nothing to do with it.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 07:26:48 pm »
1. You know; I gave my account and you obviously already made up your mind despite not knowing one goddamn thing that you are talking about.

2. You don't know me. Don't pretend you do. We've not had one discussion on this forum that I can recall in all the time we've both been here.

3. It was never about convincing you or somehow "impressing" you. You don't factor into it at all and quite frankly, your uneducated opinion is as worthless as YOU are. I had nothing to gain at all by bringing this up on a private area of the board you can't see, much less agreeing to post it in the blog section or agreeing to let it be put on the front page of the damn website where everyone and his/her mother could comment on it.

4. So, f*ck you... f*ck the horse you rode in on... and f*ck your momma for making you in the first place. No wait... Let's not f*ck her, because the last thing we need to risk are more arrogant, incompetent, self-righteous, dumbass ingrates such as yourself being born into this world.

That said, go to hell, get on your knees, and fellate the devil like the little snot-nosed cocksucker that you are.

1. Just like how you "made up your mind" that HBCUs are bad?  ::) And I dont know what Im talking about? yeah sure.
2. And how does any discussion we didn't have has any point whatsoever? I'll admit that we don't have as many posters but I'm sure that HEF have a few that don't know you nor had a discussion with you before.
3. Convincing me? I was simply disagreeing with your opinion of HBCUs it was pretty simple. So basically this thread was ploy to whine like a big baby and pout like one because someone disagreed with you? As many threads that pop out in the entire internet their will always be a person that may disagree. Shouldn't you know this as a "Mod"?  
4. No and I appreciate the gesture but I have to decline I don't swing that way ... Never had to need to ride one... So now we are back in middle school with insults of my mother. *sighes* If I have done the same thing regarding your mother, sister, wife or any important woman in your life you would have blew a gasket. But shockingly you already did and I didn't really go that far.

Good Job

So, you don't believe him because ... you don't believe him. That is your prerogative but surely you recognize that the logic is less than compelling. I'll accept the eyewitness account provisionally.

I have heard so many stories like that, it seems completely plausible to me. My wife is a FAMU alumna and also worked for Fashion Fair Cosmetics for a number of years. Let's just say that we have spent a lot of time over the years wondering what the hell is wrong with black organizations. That's not to say that it was all negative or even mostly negative but the notion of professionalism is largely theoretical far too often.

The other thing that dismays me is the eagerness to defend this shoddiness instead of demanding excellence. "You know, they doing the best they can." No. They're not.

*sighes* So I guess it must be true then since it is a HBCU with the few "stories"  :o Amazing just amazing. Thank you curtis for clearing that up for me. So in sum "alot of people are saying something similar so it must be true"

Once again blindly bashing all 105 schools as if they aren't up to snuff is stupid but then we would pretend that the larger institutions are doing any better. I've said a very simple premise from the beginning: Stop complaining and do something about it.

Defending shoddiness? Are you serious? So you are doing exactly the same thing with a blanket statement. So you must have it all figured out with "black organizations" sh*t don't all organizations have some problems in one way or another?

Demanding excellence by sitting on your ass and post in threads in why HBCUs are bad with "stories"? I am demanding excellence by placing money into the school and doing something about it to make sure it reach new heights. Did you even bother to read my post about Morgan MILE or the Warrior Institute or did you just ran to defend his point since your wife had attended FAMU as well and worked with black institutions while telling you "stories"

Just to be clear, I never slammed ALL HBCUs.  Or ANY.

So you do it by not naming the school. Well that is pretty clever of you. and by questioning me "giving back" while saying "Lion's HBCU experience isn't unusual, even amongst the "Ivy League" HBCUs" but then say my experience was "unique"

And you're not bashing?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:28:24 pm by akumatrunigga »
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 09:24:38 pm »
So, you don't believe him because ... you don't believe him. That is your prerogative but surely you recognize that the logic is less than compelling. I'll accept the eyewitness account provisionally.

I have heard so many stories like that, it seems completely plausible to me. My wife is a FAMU alumna and also worked for Fashion Fair Cosmetics for a number of years. Let's just say that we have spent a lot of time over the years wondering what the hell is wrong with black organizations. That's not to say that it was all negative or even mostly negative but the notion of professionalism is largely theoretical far too often.

The other thing that dismays me is the eagerness to defend this shoddiness instead of demanding excellence. "You know, they doing the best they can." No. They're not.
*sighes* So I guess it must be true then since it is a HBCU with the few "stories"  :o Amazing just amazing. Thank you curtis for clearing that up for me. So in sum "alot of people are saying something similar so it must be true"
Well, widespread similar reports make it plausible.

Once again blindly bashing all 105 schools as if they aren't up to snuff is stupid but then we would pretend that the larger institutions are doing any better. I've said a very simple premise from the beginning: Stop complaining and do something about it.
It's not about larger, it's about getting better. Usually the first step is a sober assessment.

Defending shoddiness? Are you serious? So you are doing exactly the same thing with a blanket statement. So you must have it all figured out with "black organizations" sh*t don't all organizations have some problems in one way or another?

Demanding excellence by sitting on your ass and post in threads in why HBCUs are bad with "stories"? I am demanding excellence by placing money into the school and doing something about it to make sure it reach new heights. Did you even bother to read my post about Morgan MILE or the Warrior Institute or did you just ran to defend his point since your wife had attended FAMU as well and worked with black institutions while telling you "stories"
My point was simply that Lion's story seems entirely plausible to me based on my particular life experience. You decided differently and branded him a liar. I'm not really sure what the rest of your post above is about.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 09:39:05 pm »
Early this fall in one of my classes an administrator for an area HBCU told the class that parents were flooding the schools with calls because they had over sold the dorms and kids had no place to stay. They did not have enough meal cards for the kids and would not take cash. No my personal experiences don't make it so. There are tons of stories that point to the strengths of HBCUs. But that was not necessarily the focus of this thread. Lion gave his point of view, others gave similar views. I understand giving dissenting opinions but to call folks out over their personal accounts is not fair. sh*t I remember the convo in school, why go to a HBCU when we were sandwiched between two in the state. Anybody remember weekend road trips. ;)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 10:13:59 pm »
Well, widespread similar reports make it plausible.
which isn't any more different of "similar reports" with something completely opposite of his experiences. So go on and blindly agree like the rest based on "stories". One more time: which it isn't any more plausible than coke tasting better than pepsi or vice versa.

It's not about larger, it's about getting better. Usually the first step is a sober assessment.
And how do you figure they are not doing better based on what "stories" again? There are how many schools again?
My point was simply that Lion's story seems entirely plausible to me based on my particular life experience. You decided differently and branded him a liar. I'm not really sure what the rest of your post above is about.
That is entirely incorrect. I've never branded the him a liar. I just don't believe that the "school lied to him to attend". Ive said that more than once.

You claim that I'm defending shoddiness and you claim that I'm not demanding excellence and I've posted what I've been doing my part to make things better and it isn't clear to you? Fine I'll leave it alone since this entire thread was a joke from the start and I simply disagreed then the "mods" want to jump in and tag team.

I understand giving dissenting opinions but to call folks out over their personal accounts is not fair
Honestly I would have kept my mouth shut but once he stated he broke the rules of the scholarship that what got me to post.

One of you "mods" mind as well close this thread anyway because the opinions are so one sided why even bother any longer.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Jenn

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 10:54:42 pm »
Early this fall in one of my classes an administrator for an area HBCU told the class that parents were flooding the schools with calls because they had over sold the dorms and kids had no place to stay. They did not have enough meal cards for the kids and would not take cash.

Wow. You just described half the colleges in the country, every freaking fall. And not just those dirty nigger schools, either!

One of you "mods" mind as well close this thread anyway because the opinions are so one sided why even bother any longer.

Seconded. From what I see so far, only three four of us went to HBCUs in the first place. Your experiences with your WEEK at an HBCU or while you visit your spouse's alma mater for Homecoming or whatever your sisterbabydaddymamacousin has virtually no merit.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:01:31 pm by Jenn »

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 11:19:22 pm »
dirty nigger schools
------------------------------

Sigh....Touche, I guess. Maybe pompous and elitist on my part and believe me, you and Lion are two of the smartest posters on the board and yall are products of HBCUs. I should have considered what my "limited personal" experience with HBCUs would come across from some one who received their degree from a HBCU. sh*t, come to think of it I should not expect any thing else. However, reading Lion's post b/s is b/s and no one should go through that sh*t. My mom always said an even swap is not a swindle. I do_____for you and you do____ for me...agreed? Agreed. That is what I took from his experience. My friend who played football at Jacksonville State said it was common for football and other scholarships to be rescinded because of poor performance. I did not know that.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 05:34:49 am »
I tried to post in this thread much earlier, but connection in the airport was weak.

Anyway, most people find college to be a great experience.  And many people find the unique qualities of a black college a perfect fit for them. 

And criticizing a black college, or even some consistently negative aspects of the black college experience, does not mean that white schools don't have those problems too, or that white schools are inherently better.

But black folks are very protective of their institutions, for good reasons.  But that can get in the way of fixing them.  And they need fixing.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2009, 07:00:28 am »
Of all the participants on this thread only four posters actually went to a HBCU. Out of those three, one really hated it and three didn’t.

Did anybody else on this board actually go to an HBCU? If so, how did you find the experience? 

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 08:21:07 am »
And criticizing a black college, or even some consistently negative aspects of the black college experience, does not mean that white schools don't have those problems too, or that white schools are inherently better.

Reg,

I find this whole thread interesting because this isn't an issue I was ever aware about before this topic was started.  In the eyes of the board, do most non-HBCU = A White School?

Thanks!

Jenn

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 10:38:30 am »
In the eyes of the board, do most non-HBCU = A White School?

Thanks!

Most non-HBCUs *are* white schools. The proper term is Predominately White Institutions, which is...well, damn near all of them.