Author Topic: Lion's experience at Florida A&M University  (Read 18470 times)

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Lion's experience at Florida A&M University
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2009, 02:25:18 pm »
At my school african-americans made up maybe 8% of the enrollment, however we were 80% of the on-campus housing population. I was disappointed that we never used this to our advantage. An on-campus student is the equivalent of what maybe 2.5 off campus students.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2009, 04:12:13 pm »
I find this whole thread interesting because this isn't an issue I was ever aware about before this topic was started.  In the eyes of the board, do most non-HBCU = A White School?

Thanks!
yes but I'm shocked that you haven't heard of the issue especially since you are in maryland where there are 4 HBCUs in the state and that still doesnt include DC and VA. If you read the Baltimore Sun, it has a tendency to do that. Dayum near the bulk of them is in the MD/DC/VA region.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2009, 04:36:40 pm »

One of you "mods" mind as well close this thread anyway because the opinions are so one sided why even bother any longer.

Seconded. From what I see so far, only three four of us went to HBCUs in the first place. Your experiences with your WEEK at an HBCU or while you visit your spouse's alma mater for Homecoming or whatever your sisterbabydaddymamacousin has virtually no merit.

But I went for a WHOLE WEEEEEEEEK!

I find this whole thread interesting because this isn't an issue I was ever aware about before this topic was started.  In the eyes of the board, do most non-HBCU = A White School?

Thanks!
yes but I'm shocked that you haven't heard of the issue especially since you are in maryland where there are 4 HBCUs in the state and that still doesnt include DC and VA. If you read the Baltimore Sun, it has a tendency to do that. Dayum near the bulk of them is in the MD/DC/VA region.

JLI, have you ever even heard of the schools?
Outside the "Black community", most folks haven't.
Outside America, even less folks have.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2009, 04:55:48 pm »
To broaden the topic a bit; I have a question.

For all of the HBCU alumni here; what is the reaction from others when you tell them you graduated from an HBCU?

Jenn

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2009, 06:12:48 pm »
1) My friend told me...black schools suck!
2) I went to an HBCU this one time, and...black schools suck!
3) How are you going to be prepared for...black schools suck!
4) Black people are so...black schools suck!
5) You went to (random HBCU)? OMG, I went to (a completely unrelated HBCU)!!!!

The cool thing is that an HBCU alum ALWAYS can tell when another black person went to an HBCU. No one in the classroom have swagga like us!

I think it was Real World where this black guy went to an HBCU, and this white chick from ATL had never heard of black college. Do you know how hard you have to work at willful ignorance and self-segregation in order to have never heard of HBCUs in ATLANTA?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:15:53 pm by Jenn »

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2009, 07:25:06 pm »
The cool thing is that an HBCU alum ALWAYS can tell when another black person went to an HBCU. No one in the classroom have swagga like us!

So umm....what's the advantage in this?

I think it was Real World where this black guy went to an HBCU, and this white chick from ATL had never heard of black college. Do you know how hard you have to work at willful ignorance and self-segregation in order to have never heard of HBCUs in ATLANTA?

Dayum!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Jenn

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand my answer.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2009, 08:14:24 pm »

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand my answer.

SCHOOL DAZE 2009.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2009, 07:23:23 am »

I'm in Northern VA, but my heart and mind are still in Connecticut.  I know of HBCUs and Howard in particular.  But whenever I hear about a HBCU and think of something out of a Different World.  Pretty much the same type of school I went to, only with a mostly black student body.  I know that's not exactly in depth research, but it was never really something I took the time to look into.  I didn't know that there seem to be a couple camps, some against how they are run and others who think it is no different than most all schools.  

I've heard of a few like Howard, UDC, and Spelman, though not Florida A&M University.  But when I look at the list, most seem to have pretty obscure names.  I've never heard of colleges like Prairie View A&M University, Rust College, Hampton University, Fort Valley State University, etc, though I am sure they are fine colleges and universities.  Just not on my radar. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:31:22 am by JLI Jesse »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2009, 10:07:42 am »
Most HBCU alums have a swagger because it's drilled into us from enrollment to graduation, at least at the ASU COBA, that we have to be twice as good as anyone else to get ahead in the real world.  We're underdogs with a chip on our shoulder because folks don't think our college is...and therefore we're not, "good enough" to be in the same fields with people from bigger institutions and we constantly have to prove them wrong.

I think this is more denial than anything else, I work with folks right now that will look at you quizzically if you mention Clark or Morris Brown...Morehouse is the only one they seemingly recognize.  I'm used to that, though.  ASU gets virtually no love, we're the forgotten HBCU!  ;)

I'm in Northern VA, but my heart and mind are still in Connecticut.  I know of HBCUs and Howard in particular.  But whenever I hear about a HBCU and think of something out of a Different World.  Pretty much the same type of school I went to, only with a mostly black student body.  I know that's not exactly in depth research, but it was never really something I took the time to look into.  I didn't know that there seem to be a couple camps, some against how they are run and others who think it is no different than most all schools. 

I've heard of a few like Howard, UDC, and Spelman, though not Florida A&M University.  But when I look at the list, most seem to have pretty obscure names.  I've never heard of colleges like Prairie View A&M University, Rust College, Hampton University, Fort Valley State University, etc, though I am sure they are fine colleges and universities.  Just not on my radar. 

Howard and Morehouse are the schools in the consciousness of most people.  I'll bet if you ask most people to name an HBCU they'll say one or the other with Tuskegee thrown in there every now and then.  But...we all know it's all about the SWAC, baby! ;D

Jenn

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2009, 04:55:13 pm »
SCHOOL DAZE 2009.

F*ckin' A.  ;D

But...we all know it's all about the SWAC, baby! ;D

OH GOD IT'S A SWACKO!!!!

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2009, 05:52:47 pm »

But...we all know it's all about the SWAC, baby! ;D

OH GOD IT'S A SWACKO!!!!

You know it!!  To paraphrase G Phi G...

SWAC, Bay-bee...that's what you wanna be!

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2009, 06:09:03 pm »
Most HBCU alums have a swagger because it's drilled into us from enrollment to graduation, at least at the ASU COBA, that we have to be twice as good as anyone else to get ahead in the real world.  We're underdogs with a chip on our shoulder because folks don't think our college is...and therefore we're not, "good enough" to be in the same fields with people from bigger institutions and we constantly have to prove them wrong.

And herein lies the real reason that Lion evoked the wrath of his HBCU graduate comrades!

Доверяй, но проверяй

Jenn

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2009, 06:58:33 pm »
No...I think that would be because he showed his ass and degraded a poster's mother.

I'd snap on you, but MEACfans.com is suspended - probably for lack of payment - so I'll be over here seething quietly. Although it is NOT beneath me to make jokes if your school has lost to Prairie View in any sport at any time.

*edit* Oh, and your bands. Y'all got some sorry-ass bands. If it wasn't for Southern, they would've dismantled all the SWAC marching bands ages ago.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:05:41 pm by Jenn »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2009, 07:24:37 pm »
No...I think that would be because he showed his ass and degraded a poster's mother.

I'd snap on you, but MEACfans.com is suspended - probably for lack of payment - so I'll be over here seething quietly. Although it is NOT beneath me to make jokes if your school has lost to Prairie View in any sport at any time.

*edit* Oh, and your bands. Y'all got some sorry-ass bands. If it wasn't for Southern, they would've dismantled all the SWAC marching bands ages ago.

Um...well...DAMN!  I thought you weren't snapping! LOL  After the loss to Prairie View...I don't have the words.   :'(