Author Topic: The Stoning of Soraya M.  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The Stoning of Soraya M.
« on: May 05, 2010, 03:19:06 pm »
This is one powerful powerful movie. Set in a small Iranian village in 1986 and based on a true story it is about of a woman who's husband has set his eyes upon a much younger woman (girl actually 14) and does not want her anymore and the links he will go thru to be rid of her. Great performances abound, I think the biggest name is James Caviezel who plays a Iranian /French reporter but Shoreh Aghdashlou as a female village elder and Mozhan Marno as Soraya are fantastic. And I must say be advised this movie is brutal, it doesn't spare you the ritual of horror. All that said this is some powerful movie making.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Stoning of Soraya M.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:21:20 pm »
I'm glad you had the opportunity to watch it. I doubt I'll become available here for many more years.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »
I'm glad you had the opportunity to watch it. I doubt I'll become available here for many more years.

It's on instant viewing on Netflix right now ;)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:58 pm »
That's more trouble than it's worth. But hey - they might have it for rent in Australia!  :)
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:17:38 am »
I just noticed this post.
I saw this extraordinary film last year with my Mom.  We cried and were haunted for days after.  The story was based on truth.  My Persian friend advised that Soraya's story is not uncommon even TODAY!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:20:41 pm »
I just noticed this post.
I saw this extraordinary film last year with my Mom.  We cried and were haunted for days after.  The story was based on truth.  My Persian friend advised that Soraya's story is not uncommon even TODAY!

Thank you!! I wanted people to so much see this remarkable film but sometimes you feel you're screaming in an echo chamber and no one can hear.