Author Topic: PRECIOUS  (Read 22196 times)

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
Re: PRECIOUS
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2010, 02:26:30 pm »
I'm sorry but what good roles has Mo'Nique been in? The only movies I can think she's been in was Phat Girls and Roscoe Jenkins. I do get your point, though to be fair, I thought Mo'Nique's acting was fine especially compared to what I had seen of it before. And I had a good feeling she would get the Oscar because the Academy seems to loves black pathology. Now I'm hearing that Lee Daniels is going to do a movie about Selma, I shudder to think how he'll ride the black pathology train in that too like Precious and Monster's Ball.

Sorry for the late reply, finishing up my screenplay for "Coony McShuffles and the Mystery of the Magic Grits."

But yeah you do  have a point, its just a vicious catch 22 I guess. I wonder if she would have been a good Amanda Waller for the GL movie? They're going with Angela Bassett.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2010, 02:30:41 pm »
Actually Mo'Nique might have the chops to do that, though I prefer Angela, a far superior actress who should've long had an Oscar, or two. And though it doesn't match her comic description, I hope they don't put Ms. Bassett in a fat suit.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2010, 07:22:55 am »
Okay, but black people are bitching about The Blind Side, too. So WTF do black people WANT, exactly, and why should anybody in Hollywood listen to us?

I dunno. I'd like to see movies where we're just living lives rather than lives of degradation and occasional uplift.

DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS
HANCOCK
BOOMERANG
TAKING OF PELHAM 123

It makes me ill how the sort of "uplifting" movies that the Academy (and America) seems to really love are those showing us in the most foul or needy aspect.

I don't write that sh*t and I'm damned sure not going to support it with cash.

f*ck MONSTER'S BALL, f*ck PRECIOUS, f*ck THE BLIND SIDE.

We have billions of better stories than those to tell and yet, over and over, it's the same crap that garners "mass appeal."

To paraphrase Detective Murtaugh, "I'm getting too old for this sh*t."

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2010, 02:11:59 pm »
Right on target Red Jack,

Precious was over hyped garbage. I finally got around to watching American Violet, which Jenn had recommended somewhere on this thread or the one on the Blind Side, and it was a very good movie, one that was truly uplifting. The main character wasn't perfect, she had flaws, but she also had courage and a love for her family and community. That's the example that could serve as a true inspiration.

I almost shudder to think what Lee Daniels is going to do with his upcoming movie about Selma.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2010, 09:07:09 am »
Actually Mo'Nique might have the chops to do that, though I prefer Angela, a far superior actress who should've long had an Oscar, or two. And though it doesn't match her comic description, I hope they don't put Ms. Bassett in a fat suit.
well foxy brown was Amanda Waller

With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2010, 02:21:16 pm »
well foxy brown was Amanda Waller

Though I think Pam Grier is still attractive, she's not quite got that Foxy Brown foxy body anymore. Though she's nowhere near obese.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2010, 06:46:51 pm »
I finally saw this movie...honestly I saw it as a comedy. I laughed beginning to end. I was not touched or moved at all. Don't get me wrong. It was very well made and well acted, Daniels made an outstanding film--but I couldn't take it serious...it was too much. And while she was good that wasn't what I consider THAT much a stretch for Mo'nique.Was  Sidibi good or was she playing what the world sees her as?  I thought Mariah was good and I loved Paula Patton's character and the girls, Lenny Kravitz was good--but watching the commentary it struck me that if everything placed was on purpose then the colorism was too...