Author Topic: PRECIOUS  (Read 22795 times)

Jenn

Re: PRECIOUS
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 07:47:28 am »
Byron Crawford

*clicks back button*

Jenn

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 05:21:22 am »
Just dawned on me that Mo'Nique's sniveling ass will be nommed for an Oscar, but Nicole Beharie (American Violet) probably won't.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 07:30:43 am »
Just dawned on me that Mo'Nique's sniveling ass will be nommed for an Oscar, but Nicole Beharie (American Violet) probably won't.
DEFINITELY won't. Even I didn't see that movie, and it looked fantastic.

Jenn

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 07:36:12 am »
What's stopping you? Limited release is a mother, but it's been on DVD for a month.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2009, 09:05:28 am »
Those two damn kids who want attention from daddy.

Jenn

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 01:26:01 pm »
Go get their real daddy and take your ass to Blockbuster!  ;D

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 02:58:36 pm »
There is no way, whatsoever, under any circumstances in this life or the next that I will ever see this film.

Ok, I agree with you totally. I was going to see it, but after reading all the reviews...I think I will pass...forever.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 03:11:02 pm »
Bryron C is funny. LOL :D

Jenn

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 09:02:45 pm »
So interesting that so many men balk at the idea of seeing depictions of the lives young women live every hour of every day of the week. It seems that the concept of rape is more horrifying than rape itself.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2009, 11:38:53 pm »
So interesting that so many men balk at the idea of seeing depictions of the lives young women live every hour of every day of the week. It seems that the concept of rape is more horrifying than rape itself.
--------------------------------

I know it's hard out here for women. I personally raised about 100 of them during my time as a youth counselor but I guarantee you even with how misogynistic and sexist this world is,  the far majority of men on this planet detest rape as much as women. For every victim of rape there is a brother/husband/father of a rape victim. Come on now.

Jenn

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 11:57:44 pm »
As evidenced by the rape laws and penalties in this country, written and carried out overwhelmingly by men across America.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 04:48:19 am »

Most people, regardless of race, age, etc...go to the movies for escape and uplift, not dark, depressing themes. That's why the box office success of PRECIOUS is very impressive.

Jenn

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 07:06:03 am »
Okay, but black people are bitching about The Blind Side, too. So WTF do black people WANT, exactly, and why should anybody in Hollywood listen to us?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 07:50:21 am »
Okay, but black people are bitching about The Blind Side, too. So WTF do black people WANT, exactly, and why should anybody in Hollywood listen to us?
I don't see any difference between PRECIOUS and THE BLIND SIDE. Both are about overweight black people with learning problems and dysfunctional backgrounds.  But if the folks who help them are black it's okay, but Black folks get offended when white folks do the same?  Insane. 

And what Hollywood listens to is profitability.  Both movies are making money, so there will be more of them.  Especially BLIND SIDE, since that's making real money.  It's made over a hundred million.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 07:52:17 am »

I just don't like depressing movies. If it had a happy ending then I would have watch the movie.
I'm also not a Daniels fan.