Author Topic: Law Abiding Citizen - Such a Lousy Film Should be Illegal  (Read 2507 times)

michaelintp

Law Abiding Citizen - Such a Lousy Film Should be Illegal
« on: November 01, 2009, 05:28:09 pm »
Saw Law Abiding Citizen today.  Throughout most of the movie I was engaged.  Unfortunately, it was one of those movies where the last 20 minutes ruin the entire film.  The "surprise" plot twist (which I will not reveal) is lame beyond words, and the ending is the height of stupidity.  I don't mind if a film has a fantastic premise, and the storyline remains true to the premise, but here ... the end of the film is just nonsense, on several levels.  The very very last scene made me want to puke.

Anyway, just wanted to warn you.  If you see it, well ... I hope you got a free pass.

Maybe later, if folks start discussing it, I'll say more, as the "spoilers" start to be revealed.

I am curious if anyone who has seen the film agrees with me.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Law Abiding Citizen - Such a Lousy Film Should be Illegal
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:21:33 pm »
From the looks of trailer the movie plot looks kind of predictable. Why do I have a feeling the Jaime character is the "twist"
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:46:50 pm »
agreed. I was so, so hype for this film. I wanted to see it all get burned down.

And then the ended was super, mega retarded...

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:21:08 pm »
various spoilers- I saw this at a drive-in, so with the creaky radio speaker, things may have come across slightly differently..

okay, apparently-- here's something I don't get..

the part when Rice and chief O'brien break into one of Clyde's warehouses..

Clyde had tunnels previously dug-out beforehand, all leading to his solitary jail cell? How long were these tunnels? Were they supposed to be miles long?

it came across as if the warehouse was urban.. but the tunnel leads right next to the prison.. wasn't the jail somewhere in the suburbs/outskirts of town? clearly with a bunch of forest/rural area in the immediate surroundings..

just how does someone dig out a secret passage complete with sealable door into a county prison isolation ward?

... Just how did Rice & company take the bomb that was planted at city hall and transport it back to the jail cell without tripping some tamper-switch?

The epilogue leaves a lot to be desired.. so Rice finally attends his daughter's next performance.. um, life is great?  ;)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

michaelintp

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 08:08:17 pm »
SPOILERS

With the incredible stupidity of the plot twist, it would have been at least gratifying in a twisted sort of way for a 'final' secretly-planted bomb to go off in the cello recital at the end of the film.  Kaaaa-Boooom!!!! ... little miss splattered all over the walls. (... i.e., for Clyde to have planted 'fail-safe' devices that would detonate automatically pursuant to a fixed schedule if 'something' were to happen to him).  You gotta admit, that's coooold, but at least that would be a surprising plot twist.

It would have no more inane than the way the plot actually unfolded.

Alternative Ending #2:  Or totally fitting in, in a more realistic way, with the way the movie 'played out' ... At least the movie should have ended with Rice being led away in handcuffs, for planting the bomb under a prisoner's bed in the prison (causing the death of Clyde and destruction of some part of the prison ... including possibly death or injury to other inmates and prison personnel).

As to no tamper switch:  For such a high-tech guru, for Clyde to not to have some motion-sensor in the bomb that would cause the bomb to go off if it were moved is retarded beyond belief.

As to the tunnels:  The warehouse was next to the prison, pretty close anyway, per some map shown in the movie.  They said Clyde dug secret entrances to every solitary confinement cell.  It seems to be implied that he did it himself over a period of 10 years ... which is asinine.

The whole movie sucked because of the last 20 minutes, and even before that it didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 05:13:41 pm »

Spoilers for yet another wack-ass Jamie Foxx joint ;D...
I just want to know how Foxx and Meaney beat Butler back to the prison, when it was already established that he left before them?  They couldn't even use his tunneled shortcuts.  They had to take the surface streets and go through the prison's main entrance for him not to see them.  Plus, I'll assume they had to evacuate a section of the prison so they wouldn't be killed when the bomb was set.

Jenn

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 06:12:10 pm »
Wait a minute. You guys went and saw this film...on purpose? What happened? Did you lose a bet?

michaelintp

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 08:23:45 pm »
Wait a minute. You guys went and saw this film...on purpose? What happened? Did you lose a bet?

FREE.  A free screening of an Sci-Fi outfit I joined (don't ask me why they screened it, they get movies of other sorts, not limited to Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror).  But this movie WAS a HORROR ... so I guess it fit.

For a little while the movie seemed kinda like a "nerd gone Punisher" movie ... but it quickly devolved into something else.

So, yep, I lost two hours.  Never to be regained.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:49:42 pm »

Nah, the wife and I have a standing Friday movie night date.  Plus, I used to be an F. Gary Gray fan, but after the double whammy of this and Be Cool... >:(

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 05:18:14 pm »
well i know i didnt see the film and i wont bother bootlegging either
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 04:21:20 am »
I liked the film. I thought it was a good thriller. The twist at the end didn't bother me at all.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 05:14:48 pm »
Man, I just avoided this film because Butler doesn't impress me.  :( And I love Philadelphia.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?